or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 436

post #6526 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thericochet View Post
 

"the whole point of getting a player like the X5 is to cram in as many songs as possible."

 

This might be how you want to use it and that's fair enough but this is not in fact the actual aim of this player at all. The reverse (the point is a small number of HQ files) is far closer to being true.

 

I got it for 256GB worth of memory - that is well over 5800 songs, with most of them in ALAC format and a few HDTracks high-res ones.       With 128GB cards coming in, and 2 slots, fitting 256GB of music is not an unreasonable request.     That is main reason I got the X5 over the DX90.

 

Again - with all due respect - I dont want to argue with you whether this is a worthwhile feature of not.    That is going to lead to another 5 pages of my-opinion-is-bigger-than-yours. 

 

You are right - maybe my opinion is an outlier.   But I'd like to get an answer from James as to whether or not they plan to fix it.   If they do, great.   If not, I'll cancel my order, stick to my iPod Classic and/or get a DX90 and we can save everyone a lot of heartache.   I dont that is too unreasonable.


Edited by vkalia - 4/9/14 at 7:46am
post #6527 of 19479

Also, we have went through the whole RockBox debate too many times - FiiO is bounded by contract not able to provide any code for open source. If you guys really love RB that much, asks some RB dev. to port it for you or becomes a RB dev. yourself. There is nothing much FiiO can help as far as RB goes.

post #6528 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

I got it for 256GB worth of memory - that is well over 5800 songs, with most of them in ALAC format and a few HDTracks high-res ones.       With 128GB cards coming in, and 2 slots, fitting 256GB of music is not an unreasonable request.     That is main reason I got the X5 over the DX90.

 

Again - with all due respect - I dont want to argue with you whether this is a worthwhile feature of not.    That is going to lead to another 5 pages of my-opinion-is-bigger-than-yours.

 

You are right - maybe my opinion is an outlier.   But I'd like to get an answer from James as to whether or not they plan to fix it.   If they do, great.   If not, I'll cancel my order, stick to my iPod Classic and/or get a DX90 and we can save everyone a lot of heartache.   I dont that is too unreasonable.

I was making the same decision. I have the x5 on he way. If it cannot read over 5800 lossless files it might have well been a single card player luke the dx90. I suspect if not fixed there are going to be a lot of returns of this product. Don't lambaste me but sounds like a deal breaker for many people.

 

 

 

James, is the SD card library index an option?

post #6529 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

  
This irrational defense of the X5 at all costs is starting to get extremely annoying.   What, just b/c some of you guys dont have any issues, the rest of us are supposed to just suck it up and not give our feedback?    Do you want to pay me $350 for my X5?  If so, you can buy it off me and I'll leave this thread.  If not, please dont presume to tell me that my issues are not justified and/or that I should get something else.

What sense of perspective should I have if I have just bought a player for $350 that doesnt perform very basic functional tasks?    And let's be clear here - basic indexing of files using ID3 tags, and gapless playback isnt exactly cutting edge, revolutionary stuff - it has been on offer for ages.  These problem have been around since the start of the X3 and have been masked by apologists like you, who keep making excuses for the company and diluting the feedback whenever it was provided.      

As for the excuse that they dont know what Western consumers want - every time a western consumer tries to tell them that gapless is an issue, ID3 tagging is an issue, people like you jump in and start making excuses, justifications and telling the entire world that their product is fine and we are just ranting/whining/whatevers.     So how the hell are they supposed to figure it out?

All through the world tour, it was like "yeah, there are minor issues with tagging and gapless and they'll be fixed by launch".   And guess what - they still havent been fixed.     I dont care about what problems the AK units have or the iBasso units have - I care about getting the problems on my X5 unit remedied.

Let me put it another way - instead of telling us to buy another product, why dont you stick to enjoying your perfect product, and leave the rest of us who want improvements continue to ask for it? 
I forget. Were you commenting in this thread before the X5 was released? A lot of your feedback would've been more productive then. If you want to be productive now, I suggest you search Fiio + Bugzilla, follow the link, and file bug reports like a lot of the reviewers did.
post #6530 of 19479
Fiio is aware of the ussue with the limited database. Everyone else is as well. Please stop beating adead horse.

Moderators ?
post #6531 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess70 View Post

Fiio is aware of the ussue with the limited database. Everyone else is as well. Please stop beating adead horse.

Moderators ?


Why would Mods need to get involved? Everyone here is on topic and this is still all pertinent to those who are looking for information on the X5.

post #6532 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

On all browser based DAPs(all that I've used/played with) when playing the last song in a folder the next song would be the 1st one in the next folder. Think about the last track in a compilation of 2 discs. The last track on Disc 1 should be followed by the first track on Disc 2. (Disc 1 and Disc 2 each having its own folder)

 

Good for you. And even if you wanted to do that, does Genre - Artist- Songs work for you? You can't see albums in Genre view.

LoL when u shuffle 1 genre u dun need to know about album . when i go outside i shufle pop,rock and when i'm home i shufle all the audiophile song so why do i need so much complicated thing like genre- artist-song . When u play shuffle it mean u play random and don't need to care about artist rite ?

post #6533 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by viet1357911 View Post
 

LoL when u shuffle 1 genre u dun need to know about album . when i go outside i shufle pop,rock and when i'm home i shufle all the audiophile song so why do i need so much complicated thing like genre- artist-song . When u play shuffle it mean u play random and don't need to care about artist rite ?

 

A trick to organize lots of music via tags is to create genres for every artist. So the Genre structure would mimic the folder structure. That comes in handy when you have 2 memory cards and has all your stuff in one place rather than having to switch cards. This is how I have it, since you can't shuffle an entire folder in folder view.

post #6534 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

    That is main reason I got the X5 over the DX90.

 

  If not, I'll cancel my order, stick to my iPod Classic

I'm in agreement with the issues that need to be sorted out.....but your second statement implies that you don't actually own the X5 ??? If you did, surely you would say, "I'll "return" my order" ?

post #6535 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob49 View Post
 

I'm in agreement with the issues that need to be sorted out.....but your second statement implies that you don't actually own the X5 ??? If you did, surely you would say, "I'll "return" my order" ?

 

It's been paid for but hasnt shipped yet - I can cancel now and save myself $100+ in customs and return shipping if I do so now:  and if it is indeed limited to 5800 songs, that is a deal-breaker for me.    So yes, I have a sense of urgency in trying to figure this out ASAP, so i can decide on what to do.    Is that relevant, somehow?   

 

Back on topic - James, given that the 5800 song limit makes this a deal-breaker for me, what do you recommend?  I am happy to hold on to the player for a while if this is fixable.   But if you are not sure that a fix will happen, please let us know so that we can decide accordingly and put this subject to rest.

 

Until then, with all due respect to the people who think we are beating a dead horse, it isnt dead.   The manufacturer has merely explained the cause of this problem (which makes sense) but has yet to weigh in on the likelihood of a solution for this issue.


Edited by vkalia - 4/9/14 at 9:34am
post #6536 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

A trick to organize lots of music via tags is to create genres for every artist. So the Genre structure would mimic the folder structure. That comes in handy when you have 2 memory cards and has all your stuff in one place rather than having to switch cards. This is how I have it, since you can't shuffle an entire folder in folder view.

Ya we live in a hard life so i think u need to get used to with folder =)))). U guy moaning for something useless 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob49 View Post
 

 

It's been paid for but hasnt shipped yet - I can cancel now and save myself $100+ in customs and return shipping if I do so now:  and if it is indeed limited to 5800 songs, that is a deal-breaker for me.   Why is that relevant?   

It can store more than that but only limited 5800 in 1 folder. 


Edited by viet1357911 - 4/9/14 at 9:35am
post #6537 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

Are we still on this issue? It is already getting too old 3 days ago.

 

 

 

It might seem easy on paper -

 

Say you design the database generation based on a simple dynamic read / write function based on how many RAM you have. At first it seems to run well enough so you keep it simple as it is. Now 5 (or any number of line the X5 has) thousands line of code and 6 (or any amount of time it took) months later, you realize that you are running out of RAM and your database is limited to 5800 tracks. So what do you do? You went back and try to redo your dynamic read / write function and make it to dump all the files it scans on to the SD card instead of RAM, which is a more complex operation. But the problem is you are not just limited to one line of code - somewhat in that 5 thousands line of code, you probably use the same read / write function for other purposes, and they might need to be changed as well. So are all the other feature that access the old database which now required to point to the newly designed database. At the end, it is not just one line of code anymore but several weeks or months worth of code that needed to be carefully rewrite to avoid creating new bug.... now alone come some smart guys telling you that you should have done this and that, only it is 6 months too late.

 

The idea might be simple, but the execution is anything but.

 

IF that's the way FiiO "programmers" are doing their thing, then shame on them... ... Hopefully they were bright enough to take every major function into consideration and split it per functionality (not sure which programming language they are using) so if they want to change a specific part, they'd just go to that module and change it without affecting any other functionality. If it's all in a single module, again, bad programming practices... :-p

 

Anyway, it does seem that they haven't found a way around this and maybe they will not so that leaves the X3 and X5 with subpar database management implementation. Too bad. Other than that both X3 and X5 are actually very good players. Oh well...

 

 

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in with comments (whether to insult or inform!) as I thought this would be working already and it was the main reason I gave 3 1/2 stars in the review lol!

post #6538 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by viet1357911 View Post
 

Ya we live in a hard life so i think u need to get used to with folder =)))). U guy moaning for something useless 

It can store more than that but only limited 5800 in 1 folder. 

 

1 folder has nothing to do with it. Its been stated many times, Folder View allows any amount of tracks. When DB limit exceeded, folder view is way to play files.

post #6539 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

It's been paid for but hasnt shipped yet - I can cancel now and save myself $100+ in customs and return shipping

Thanks for confirming that you "HAVEN'T GOT" the X5 ! Perhaps, it would be best to cancel, rather than keep posting & complaining about a product you don't OWN, as of yet !! ?

post #6540 of 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

Are we still on this issue? It is already getting too old 3 days ago.

 

 

 

It might seem easy on paper -

 

Say you design the database generation based on a simple dynamic read / write function based on how many RAM you have. At first it seems to run well enough so you keep it simple as it is. Now 5 (or any number of line the X5 has) thousands line of code and 6 (or any amount of time it took) months later, you realize that you are running out of RAM and your database is limited to 5800 tracks. So what do you do? You went back and try to redo your dynamic read / write function and make it to dump all the files it scans on to the SD card instead of RAM, which is a more complex operation. But the problem is you are not just limited to one line of code - somewhat in that 5 thousands line of code, you probably use the same read / write function for other purposes, and they might need to be changed as well. So are all the other feature that access the old database which now required to point to the newly designed database. At the end, it is not just one line of code anymore but several weeks or months worth of code that needed to be carefully rewrite to avoid creating new bug.... now alone come some smart guys telling you that you should have done this and that, only it is 6 months too late.

 

The idea might be simple, but the execution is anything but.

I didn't say it was easy or simple.  However, it should not be that difficult to change the location of a single index.  The read/write functions you reference should be written once, not multiple times, if they are doing the same function -- these are sub-routines in most programming languages, and are coded once, not multiple times for every time they are needed.  I'm not a professional programmer, but I've written enough low-level code in my time, including indexed databases to know that what you've described is not how programs are written.

 

I am NOT saying that Fiio SHOULD have done this.  I am only asking whether it would be possible to do this and IF so, would Fiio consider doing it if the suggestion is valid.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread