or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 421

post #6301 of 19484
The E12 actually came with 3 bands and 3 bumpers too, and a cheapie LOD so you can begin stacking them now without the fancy kit too.
post #6302 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post

I have tried the 1.21 beta firmware with the DSD function. My collection of DSF files play nicely without any glitches. Fantastic!

I think one ongoing problem with DSD is that it is often recorded -6dB quieter than the equivalent PCM files, as a common industry practice (ever since the SACD days). Most DSD playback softwares (e.g. Audirvana) and SACD players boost the volume on the DSD files by by default, whereas others don't bother (e.g. Jriver).

With my headphones, if the PCM file plays at volume 70, the same track on DSD version needs over volume 90. It gives a huge fright when changing tracks from DSD to PCM. I wish if there is a simple way to adjust the replay gain automatically for DSD.

I'm not sure it's just the DSD playback on FW 1.21. I commented a few pages back on the lowered volume output when I tried FW 1.21 and Fiio replied that it is a known issue and will be fixed in the next official release. FW 1.21 is a beta release. I never used any DSD files and the output difference was very apparent.

Edit: Oops. I see you are comparing PCM to DSD, not firmware to firmware. Read that too fast!
Edited by x RELIC x - 4/7/14 at 9:10pm
post #6303 of 19484

hi james, i purchased x5 last week and i just saw the sticker for x5, can i know where can i get those? especially the one piece design

post #6304 of 19484
FAT32 is the best and universal,that even a max capacity (suggested) TF slots recommended by manufacturer doubles the capacity. Say if my device can accept a 32GB mSD max,but a FAT32 formatting of 64GB mSD can be used....on the same device.
post #6305 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

The E12 actually came with 3 bands and 3 bumpers too, and a cheapie LOD so you can begin stacking them now without the fancy kit too.

Hmm......when did you buy it? Ive got mine w/4 bands,2each small and big,6rubber feet and the standard interconnect cable......no bumpers or whatsoever. Hope ur not mistaken the 3.5mm interconnect cable as LOD? Just.............no offense.
post #6306 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

So guys, if I order the X5 from Mp4nation. Do you guys think I'll have it within the next 10 days? I'm leaving the country on a extended trip and wondering if there is any place I can order from and have the X5 in my hands about 10 days from now... any other recommendations other than mp4nation?

Probably not. Many of us from MP4Nation's 1st preorder batch are still waiting for them to get more units to ship for the rest of the first batch. I was told that they expected more units by the end of last week, but no word yet. If you are in US, I would try Head-Direct as they had some units shipped to them late last week and should be getting them in the next day or so. Try calling them in the morning.

post #6307 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post


I'm not sure it's just the DSD playback on FW 1.21. I commented a few pages back on the lowered volume output when I tried FW 1.21 and Fiio replied that it is a known issue and will be fixed in the next official release. FW 1.21 is a beta release. I never used any DSD files and the output difference was very apparent.

Edit: Oops. I see you are comparing PCM to DSD, not firmware to firmware. Read that too fast!

 

Maybe Fiio will boost the DSD volume level while fixing the FLAC volume issue that you've reported.

 

The issue with DSD file volume levels being too low is not Fiio's fault. It's just the common practice in the recording industry to give a 6dB headroom for DSD audio to prevent hard clipping. Common DSD to PCM conversion programs (like the most popular Korg AudioGate) adds +6dB gain boost by default during the DSD to PCM conversion.

 

Very rarely, there are some bad "hot" DSD files (especially amateur recorded ones) that don't follow this standard headroom protocol, so these files get too loud or clip if you do the +6dB in the conversion. These DSD files are probably not worth listening to anyway because the engineer didn't know what they were doing.

 

Lot of forums (Jriver forum is good), discusses how to handle DSD playback properly, but it's not as easy as people often think.


Edited by sandalaudio - 4/7/14 at 10:25pm
post #6308 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post



Hmm......when did you buy it? Ive got mine w/4 bands,2each small and big,6rubber feet and the standard interconnect cable......no bumpers or whatsoever. Hope ur not mistaken the 3.5mm interconnect cable as LOD? Just.............no offense.

 



Yeah sorry, not LOD but interconnect cable is what I meant, bumpers were what you call the feet, either way the rubber circle things that keep them from bumping each other and scratching the surface up
post #6309 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhammond View Post
 

Probably not. Many of us from MP4Nation's 1st preorder batch are still waiting for them to get more units to ship for the rest of the first batch. I was told that they expected more units by the end of last week, but no word yet. If you are in US, I would try Head-Direct as they had some units shipped to them late last week and should be getting them in the next day or so. Try calling them in the morning.


Ah, thanks for the correct info. I knew somebody here could be helpful. I will call Head-Direct in the morning and see if I can get one from them. Thanks man. :beerchug:

post #6310 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post



Hmm......when did you buy it? Ive got mine w/4 bands,2each small and big,6rubber feet and the standard interconnect cable......no bumpers or whatsoever. Hope ur not mistaken the 3.5mm interconnect cable as LOD? Just.............no offense.

 



Yeah sorry, not LOD but interconnect cable is what I meant, bumpers were what you call the feet, either way the rubber circle things that keep them from bumping each other and scratching the surface up

Not a problem....just wondered whether FiiO added those as new accessories for the current batch ,2014. Thx for clarifying.
post #6311 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

Ive run into the ridiculous 5800 file limit. Database will only recognize/tag this much...smdh

 

For real?  Damn.   So they make a player that can take 256GB of music, but then limit it to approx 600 albums worth of music?     And tagging and gapless still remain issues?

 

*sigh*  I only have myself to blame for ordering this unit so quickly.   I just needed a large-capacity player asap.

post #6312 of 19484
So wait, what is the point of accepting 256 GB if you can't play all your music with it, I haven't been following the conversation about the file limit, is that something that is a bug or a limit for everyone's X5???
post #6313 of 19484

So to sum up the bugs and serious shortcomings in the software which can be hopefully fixed in a firmware update:

 

- 5800 file limit in the database

- large volume differences between DSD and other formats

- lack of ReplaGain or mp3gain/aacgain support (could also help with the DSD issue above)

- gapless playback not working properly

- better handling of tags (unclear what exactly is the issue here, and how to fix it)

- folder view issues (also unclear)

 

Anything I've missed?


Edited by Metalomaniac - 4/8/14 at 12:03am
post #6314 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

For real?  Damn.   So they make a player that can take 256GB of music, but then limit it to approx 600 albums worth of music?     And tagging and gapless still remain issues?

 

*sigh*  I only have myself to blame for ordering this unit so quickly.   I just needed a large-capacity player asap.


If you have each album in a folder the X5 will read it just fine.....The unit is wonderful.  Gapless needs a bit of work, but hey its new, and the fix is just an upgrade of FW.  Now you know that will happenI have re-discovered two dozen pairs of headphones.

 

ENJOY! Then if you want to sell it............NO PROBLEM!

post #6315 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop Lives View Post


If you have each album in a folder the X5 will read it just fine.....The unit is wonderful.  Gapless needs a bit of work, but hey its new, and the fix is just an upgrade of FW.  Now you know that will happenI have re-discovered two dozen pairs of headphones.

 

ENJOY! Then if you want to sell it............NO PROBLEM!

 



Oh ok, so 5800 songs in one folder is a problem, I'll be ok then since I seperate all my albums into seperate folders, good to know since my 128 GB cards should be arriving soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread