or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 375

post #5611 of 19481
Very good sounding, excellent value for money, despite not having a touch screen. Searching for a song is painful, I mainly use it as an extra-big Shuffle :-)
post #5612 of 19481
Customizable keys would greatly help in converting more Gentiles to the way of the audiophile.
post #5613 of 19481

I so much enjoy my sojourns on Head-Fi. I would love to contribute more to discussions of equipment here, and certainly for the X5 which I hope to buy around June (hope there will be some available by then, that I'm not too late and have to wait awhile b/c the ones available were all taken).

Every so often I can post, but I do feel bad that I can't find anything I can contribute on a regular basis. I'm not a technical-minded person but rather... a cultured one, so I wonder how much discussions of my experience with classical music on the X5 would go on this and associated threads, since most of you seem to be "rockheads," lol.

I'd just like to say though, that Head-Fi is one of the most enjoyable sites for me on the internet for it seems to me that it is teeming with good people and if I have to associate with "junkies," then the kind of junkies interested in good music (yes, rock music and such included) and equipment is a good sort to associate with, a healthy sort to associate with.

I have actually, been mostly lurking in the background here, fyi, for at least two years, and have acquired the J3 and the UM-modified TF10s b/c of Head-Fi.

It appears that, if anyone has a question or an opinion, there are so many eager to be helpful that it heartens me greatly, I get a nice warm feeling from it and I just want to say that to you guys and girls. Enough said!


Edited by Ripvanlink - 3/29/14 at 10:24am
post #5614 of 19481
Rip--thanks for your thoughtful post. As a fellow "classicalhead," I feel your pain!
post #5615 of 19481

Yes, and thanks, Fatman for your commiserating reply. If I were to title myself likewise, I would have to call myself Skinnyman28, lol, no offense meant. Just want to inject a little humor here.

The real pain you must feel, as I do, is that there are painfully few of us that know that classical music gets you in touch with your humanity and deep feelings. I say this as one who also likes rock and Rock and Roll, as well as Jazz. I'm happy to say that as an ex-denizen of the East Village in Manhattan, I became friends with Charlie Mingus, who happens to be, along with Dave Brubeck, my all-time favorite jazzman.

I first got introduced (besides my mother listening to Beethoven when I was in my womb) in grade school. I know I was one of two who became enthused with that music.  I won every school competition of "Name that Tune" and increased my prize earnings of LPs throughout grade school of which I am still obviously proud.

Classical symphony, demands, as well as Jazz, more responsive equipment to give voice to the more complex interplay of the many instruments involved as well as the subtle dynamics.

My interest in the Fiio X5 is naturally that I hope to have a portable way of hearing those subtleties anywhere I want, even comparable to home systems or at least coming very close.  From what I am "hearing" on Head-Fi, it could be that I will be able to have that experience to a much greater degree than I had with the J3, as well as the various Sansas I've owned.

I am gratified to know as well that James from Fiio is undoubtedly a great and evolved human being who is responsive to others and that is another very big reason for my wanting to own an X5.

I'm sure many here readily agree with me. No? Compare him to other company managers from Cowon and Sansa. It's like comparing JFK to.... Obama, lol.

I just hope that he must know of the coming avalanche of orders that will be coming in so I can get one of those players in June, heh heh.

post #5616 of 19481

Rip, just so you know you are not alone. My first love is classical music: Beethoven Bach Vivaldi, Chopin... I listened to all of them. I liked it so much that I attempted to take violin lessons when I as just a kid with some no so good results so I stayed away from it but I never grew out of love for the music. In my library you can always find complete Beethoven symphonies (my favorite) and I still have my Berlin Philharmonic orchestra recordings (all of the Beethoven symphonies). Music is my life and has always been, work is just something that pays the bills.

Now as far as the X5, I can tell you that it plays hi res classical music heavenly. You won't regret it and one thing that I do miss is the lack of an amp which is quite funny to say the least. The user interface is good for me coming from the iPod world I can tell you that after I listened to the X5 I could not take any less of an hi res player than it. Welcome to head-fi. I would suggest that you also browse other sections of head-fi with different daps if you can afford them. But one thing you will regret, your wallet will become thinner!  :beerchug: 


Edited by musicheaven - 3/29/14 at 12:33pm
post #5617 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 

Yes, and thanks, Fatman for your commiserating reply. If I were to title myself likewise, I would have to call myself Skinnyman28, lol, no offense meant. Just want to inject a little humor here.

The real pain you must feel, as I do, is that there are painfully few of us that know that classical music gets you in touch with your humanity and deep feelings. I say this as one who also likes rock and Rock and Roll, as well as Jazz. I'm happy to say that as an ex-denizen of the East Village in Manhattan, I became friends with Charlie Mingus, who happens to be, along with Dave Brubeck, my all-time favorite jazzman.

I first got introduced (besides my mother listening to Beethoven when I was in my womb) in grade school. I know I was one of two who became enthused with that music.  I won every school competition of "Name that Tune" and increased my prize earnings of LPs throughout grade school of which I am still obviously proud.

Classical symphony, demands, as well as Jazz, more responsive equipment to give voice to the more complex interplay of the many instruments involved as well as the subtle dynamics.

My interest in the Fiio X5 is naturally that I hope to have a portable way of hearing those subtleties anywhere I want, even comparable to home systems or at least coming very close.  From what I am "hearing" on Head-Fi, it could be that I will be able to have that experience to a much greater degree than I had with the J3, as well as the various Sansas I've owned.

I am gratified to know as well that James from Fiio is undoubtedly a great and evolved human being who is responsive to others and that is another very big reason for my wanting to own an X5.

I'm sure many here readily agree with me. No? Compare him to other company managers from Cowon and Sansa. It's like comparing JFK to.... Obama, lol.

I just hope that he must know of the coming avalanche of orders that will be coming in so I can get one of those players in June, heh heh.

Breaking news: Ripvanlink's attempt at humor was a smashing success!

 

Many members at the LA meet were a little shocked by my appearances; while most expected a giddy size-48 ball of flesh, they were instead presented with a skinny kid who barely fit(s) into a size 28 :) 

 

As you so aptly stated, dynamics and detail are absolutely integral to one's emotional experience with classical music. Taste does account for much of the falling popularity of classical, but a good deal must be attributed to lack of proper playback media. Where world-class performances of classical were once within arm's reach of almost any American, it has now become a fixture of the upper middle and upper classes. The plebeian masses can only access said performances by whatever miserable playback options available to them, leaving just a small handful of enterprising young souls to continue their ascent into classical. With shoddy playback, the tunes and basic themes are present, but the delicate layering and dynamics that truly make classical the deeply involving experience that it is are thrown away to rot. But I digress.

 

From the brief 5 minutes I was able to use my HD800 to compare my M8 to an X5/E12 stack, I gained the confidence to believe that the X5 is one of the most resolving DAPs on the market and can stand toe to toe with top-tier products from AK, Hifiman, and, dare I say, McIntosh. The detail and dynamics that I know you crave are there...and within the reach of aforementioned masses. 

post #5618 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post
 

I so much enjoy my sojourns on Head-Fi. I would love to contribute more to discussions of equipment here, and certainly for the X5 which I hope to buy around June (hope there will be some available by then, that I'm not too late and have to wait awhile b/c the ones available were all taken).

Every so often I can post, but I do feel bad that I can't find anything I can contribute on a regular basis. I'm not a technical-minded person but rather... a cultured one, so I wonder how much discussions of my experience with classical music on the X5 would go on this and associated threads, since most of you seem to be "rockheads," lol.

I'd just like to say though, that Head-Fi is one of the most enjoyable sites for me on the internet for it seems to me that it is teeming with good people and if I have to associate with "junkies," then the kind of junkies interested in good music (yes, rock music and such included) and equipment is a good sort to associate with, a healthy sort to associate with.

I have actually, been mostly lurking in the background here, fyi, for at least two years, and have acquired the J3 and the UM-modified TF10s b/c of Head-Fi.

It appears that, if anyone has a question or an opinion, there are so many eager to be helpful that it heartens me greatly, I get a nice warm feeling from it and I just want to say that to you guys and girls. Enough said!


Sorry that I've missed but where can I read your posts on classical music on the X5?

 

Cheers!

post #5619 of 19481

Oh, Hi MusicHeaven,

Nice to hear from you again. If what you mean by a wallet-emptier, would you, by any chance, be referring to the Astell-Kern 240? I looked at the pics of that one with its very impressive body and amazing sq but could not believe the price...almost $2500!!!

If it was say, around the price of the HiFiMan 802 or 901, I would consider buying it, BUT! WhoaHoahhh! Yikes.

I also tried my hand at the violin in high school. My "home room" was orchestra b/c I got to play in it, even upon my graduation, receiving my diploma in my left hand with violin and bow in my right. For the graduation music, we played Mendelssohn"s Wedding Day at Traufhogen, believe it or not ( hope I got the spelling right) while the diplomas were presented. Those of us graduating of course left our orchestra seat to retrieve our diplomas, after which we had to rush back to our seats to continue to play, lol.

Speaking of the bow...when I first met Charlie Mingus at the Engage (with accent egue over the last e) Cafe, he had with him a large and long leather case with him and ... knowing he played the Bass, I asked him if what was in his case was a bow for his bass, he then answered: No, that is the bow for my bow and arrow set. And making sure I wasn't thinking he was kidding me, he was such a kidder, you know, he actually opened up the case and inside, was a bow and arrow set, honest to God!

Is that Beethoven Symphony collection conducted by Von Karajan, by any chance?

After graduating high school back in '64 I did not continue to play violin but am now contemplating the synthesizer (as a composer's tool, mind you).

I hope we are not getting too much off subject, and if we are, Ripvanlink does apologize.

post #5620 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post
 

Breaking news: Ripvanlink's attempt at humor was a smashing success!

 

Many members at the LA meet were a little shocked by my appearances; while most expected a giddy size-48 ball of flesh, they were instead presented with a skinny kid who barely fit(s) into a size 28 :) 

 

As you so aptly stated, dynamics and detail are absolutely integral to one's emotional experience with classical music. Taste does account for much of the falling popularity of classical, but a good deal must be attributed to lack of proper playback media. Where world-class performances of classical were once within arm's reach of almost any American, it has now become a fixture of the upper middle and upper classes. The plebeian masses can only access said performances by whatever miserable playback options available to them, leaving just a small handful of enterprising young souls to continue their ascent into classical. With shoddy playback, the tunes and basic themes are present, but the delicate layering and dynamics that truly make classical the deeply involving experience that it is are thrown away to rot. But I digress.

 

From the brief 5 minutes I was able to use my HD800 to compare my M8 to an X5/E12 stack, I gained the confidence to believe that the X5 is one of the most resolving DAPs on the market and can stand toe to toe with top-tier products from AK, Hifiman, and, dare I say, McIntosh. The detail and dynamics that I know you crave are there...and within the reach of aforementioned masses. 


Glad my attempt at humor was a success...so.... am I to understand you're a skinny runt like I am? I'm still that way, after 68 years on Earth (this time around, mind you) and my vegan ways help me stay very fit, too! Ah, you went to the LA meet, was it this just last one that happened? I wanted to go, but even though I am pretty close to LA (San Diego), I couldn't make it. Is that the HTC phone you mean by M8? Top tier for AK would be the 240. Even that? Did you get a chance to hear that one?

So, even a McIntosh, huh? That's pretty good. I was into tubes back in my Boston days, owning Jadis tube Monoblocks and premamp with Duntech Marquises and a Basis turntable, very expensive stuff from my cab driving days, but now I am very happy with portable magnificence, actually happier. Well, I am in general a much happier person tha n I was then. My favorite album at that time though was a budget label Turnabout recording, believe it or not, for the most air, best performance, that being with Donald Johanos and the Dallas Symphony!!! of all things.Playing Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances. It actually made this man, me.... cry, yes. That's what classical music can do to you, right, skinny? But the engineering of the recording was so .... THERE!  I wonder what that particular recording would sound like as a cd rather than vinyl on an X5, lol!

post #5621 of 19481

Pre-ordered the X5 recently, should receive it in the next 2 weeks, the wait is killing meeeeeeee :deadhorse:

post #5622 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdacow View Post

Pre-ordered the X5 recently, should receive it in the next 2 weeks, the wait is killing meeeeeeee deadhorse.gif
You order from where?
post #5623 of 19481
Has anyone contacted MP4Nation to see when their pre-orders would be coming in? I thought I had read they would be one of the first retailers to receive them but I still haven't seen or heard anything from them yet even though it showed in stock date of 3/29 when I ordered. Hope to hear something soon! The wait is killing me (softly)....
post #5624 of 19481

Hi i am considering x5 and x3. what areth major differences? is the extra cost worth it?

post #5625 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforIEMs View Post


You order from where?


Treoo, their preorder batch is the first shipment i think still have some spaces but its now the full price. I was told i wld get it either first or second week of April. I hope i dont get Treooed

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread