or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 332

post #4966 of 19523

Ah woops, totally missed it! Wow, it looks great! Awesome, I cannot wait!

post #4967 of 19523

so I am now interested in the e12, but what about e17 and e18 are they newer or different beasts that can work with the x5?

post #4968 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post



@bowei»»» would u be able to confirm that?

 

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

 

Dual TF card ( Micro SD card ),
Support 256GB (128GB×2)Max.

post #4969 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

 

I don't think that's the perspective he is coming from at all.  It is also completely justified to come to the conclusion that using a device with more flexibility is superior to one which compromises quality for the sake of ease and ignorance.  That is what he is talking about.  Nobody is arguing against improved ergonomics.  From that perspective, indeed I think Apple did a great thing initially with iOS.  As with all things like Apple, the last part of what he says is precisely true.  Maybe it's a little cynical but it's the truth.  There is a clear benefit to actually understanding how something works and having control over it, at least minimally - that over being limited to a set way which cannot be worked around and is targeted for imbeciles.  It lowers standards and feeds ignorance where it isn't necessary, lessening the quality, integrity, and experience for everyone in the process.  I don't entirely think that about Apple products but the effect is the same.  It's an argument for being informed about the things you interact with, especially so frequently.  If Apple didn't build their things with the bare minimum of quality components that they do, I would have no regard for an argument on their behalf because it would no doubt be founded in ignorance.  It would almost be like arguing for Beats.

 

Dumbing down means reducing functionality in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator.   There is a big difference between that and simplifying things to make it more accessible.    Apple provides all the control the vast majority of users want - they have made a conscious effort to appeal really well to 95% (or whatever) percent for whom their overall approach works, and not to the remaining 5%.   This results in a product that works better for most people, and not too well for a small minority.   That's actually smarter business sense than trying to make something that appeals to everyone but which ends up being bland.   Seinfeld got it with his TV show.     Heck, Schiit gets it with their products.   I run a small business and that's the approach we take and it works for us as well.  

 

And by the same token, expecting that a deep understanding of unnecessary details somehow makes the experience richer is also a bit of a stretch.    There are always retrogrouches who revel in the "back in my days, we didnt have it so easy".   Yeah well, life moves on.    If a better interface means that people dont have to become experts in stuff that they dont care about, that's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, as the other poster seems to imply.

 

Eg, I use my computer to work just as I use my car to get to work.   They are tools, and I dont particularly care about HOW they work - i just care that they do so reliably, so i can focus on what I do well.    A lot of people dont have or need the same level of involvement with all their tools, and to argue that their choice is somehow poor or leading to dumbing down is absurdly presumptuous.

 

I dont care if the poster in question likes Apple or whatever.   I like my iDevices, but if someone else wants something different, I dont really care.    What irritates me is the fact that some people cannot just make their own choices in peace, but feel compelled to extrapolate their purchase decisions into something far grander.   Dumbing down of society just b/c someone chooses a different phone/player/laptop?  GMAFB.

post #4970 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by subver View Post
 

Nice! Will this bundle kit include some way to attach the x5 and E12? I am not a fan of the elastic straps.. right now I am simply using 3M lock tight, but a nice silicone case that holds them together would be nice!

These look like the exact same jacks used on my Fiio RC-SE1 cable... That would stick out pretty far and judging by the cable length, the nice 'bow around the volume button' will not be possible as seen on the Fiio website--> X5 page.

Still... I think I will go for it:P, just liked the right angled jacks better...

post #4971 of 19523

On a relevant note, is there any chance for further revision of the X5 (or perhaps the X7 or whatever) to include a S/PDIF input?  I'd really be interested to know whether at all that's a potential consideration in the future.  Thanks!

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

Dumbing down means reducing functionality in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator.   There is a big difference between that and simplifying things to make it more accessible.    Apple provides all the control the vast majority of users want - they have made a conscious effort to appeal really well to 95% (or whatever) percent for whom their overall approach works, and not to the remaining 5%.   This results in a product that works better for most people, and not too well for a small minority.   That's actually smarter business sense than trying to make something that appeals to everyone but which ends up being bland.   Seinfeld got it with his TV show.     Heck, Schiit gets it with their products.   I run a small business and that's the approach we take and it works for us as well.  

 

And by the same token, expecting that a deep understanding of unnecessary details somehow makes the experience richer is also a bit of a stretch.    There are always retrogrouches who revel in the "back in my days, we didnt have it so easy".   Yeah well, life moves on.    If a better interface means that people dont have to become experts in stuff that they dont care about, that's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, as the other poster seems to imply.

 

Eg, I use my computer to work just as I use my car to get to work.   They are tools, and I dont particularly care about HOW they work - i just care that they do so reliably, so i can focus on what I do well.    A lot of people dont have or need the same level of involvement with all their tools, and to argue that their choice is somehow poor or leading to dumbing down is absurdly presumptuous.

 

I dont care if the poster in question likes Apple or whatever.   I like my iDevices, but if someone else wants something different, I dont really care.    What irritates me is the fact that some people cannot just make their own choices in peace, but feel compelled to extrapolate their purchase decisions into something far grander.   Dumbing down of society just b/c someone chooses a different phone/player/laptop?  GMAFB.

You said it in your first statement however, and 95% is a HUGE number!  That's precisely what a number like that entails; dumbing down!  I'm not the one taking my case to the extreme btw; you're making it such.  I'm not one of those people who speak of "back in the day" or whatever other nonsense like that.  I'm entirely for progress, especially in cases where simplification is involved where something overly convoluted is now made easier.  That's simply not true that Apple provides all the customization one could need in ANY iDevice and I don't know how you could say that with a straight face.  Yes, if you're an old lady who just got some form of an OS for browsing the internet, then sure.  That's ridiculous; I realized the imposed limitations when the iPhone first came out back when I was 15 and it came as no surprise because their way of operation was obvious to me from the start.  Call me arrogant; I don't care, but the way in which that was clear was precisely because I was nowhere near the lowest common denominator and I was always conscious of how to spread the appeal of something among a broad spectrum of users.  Android OS precisely got it right (not in the beginning but certainly at this point) and providing simple yet in-depth options which are out of the way for the general user isn't compromising anything!  Apple's products do indeed come at a cost and IN GENERAL, not necessarily applicable to you, the cost is in the stultification of the minds of those who otherwise would have to minimally understand what the hell they're using in order to use it.  Awareness maintains a certain standard whereas otherwise, it turns entire industries into garbage.  The same applies for a car or anything else.  You don't need to know exactly how it works but you need to at least be vaguely aware of the mechanics which relate to your operating it.  Really, the perfect example is iOS vs. Android in terms of justification for my assertion that Apple's way isn't the only way to accomplish just as good of a result on the front(s) which they exemplify.  Android functions without compromising any sense of optimization in the ergonomics.


Edited by Typhoon859 - 3/5/14 at 3:37pm
post #4972 of 19523

I am not against adding more features, but I'll want a DAP to be a DAP first and everything else can be a bonus, or not - if you know what I mean. If you keep adding non-essential features to a DAP, pretty soon it will just be a very compromised device that doesn't do anything well.

post #4973 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

the final sample of the LO cable included in the HS6 (bundle kit for E12 and X5), noted that the kits does not includes E12 and X5.

 

this cable is HPC-23TN which is PCOCC-A with sliver plated . it is expensive than PCOCC-A and will have better detail.

 

 

I have pre-ordered an X5 from an authorized seller here in Australia ( http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/fiio-x5-portable-high-resolution-lossless-music-player ).

 

Will you be supplying your Australian sellers with the HS6 bundle kit (which includes the cable in the photo) so I can buy it with my X5 upon release?

 

Regards

 

Joel

post #4974 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj69 View Post


James - Why not use right angle connectors for a lower profile design?

 

James, right angle will work a lot more better for us. Less risk of breaking any connector and easier for storage and transportation. Please give this thought seriously.

 

Thanks

post #4975 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

If you haven't had a DAP with dual card slots before it's a pretty cool feeling seeing card1/card2 selection menu come up!

 

The next FW update will add a third 'USB OTG' icon to the selection menu. Very cool.

post #4976 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoekeat View Post
 

 

James, right angle will work a lot more better for us. Less risk of breaking any connector and easier for storage and transportation. Please give this thought seriously.

 

Thanks


+1

 

If Fiio has the capability, please make them right-angled, much better for stacking IMO.

post #4977 of 19523

Right angle can be more problematic than people think. It creates a 'V' assembly that covers the headphone jack, covers the volume control... It only works if they can make a super-short right-angle plug and wire that is a direct line from jack to jack. This is not so simple and does not use off the shelf parts without modification. The DX50 thread has some good home-made examples.

post #4978 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

I am not against adding more features, but I'll want a DAP to be a DAP first and everything else can be a bonus, or not - if you know what I mean. If you keep adding non-essential features to a DAP, pretty soon it will just be a very compromised device that doesn't do anything well.

Even if not your intention, why must you make me look like a fool?  What you said is obvious; there is no need for the gesture except to covertly deflect what I said away from people's attention.  I can make just as simple statement to sound all wise and such but what's the point?  Anyway, I've said about this that everything is otherwise perfect and that just this one addition would make it the full package in today's market.  It would actually serve as a double/triple function.  I'm not sure if you saw my previous posts on the matter.

 

This argument you made can be said at any stage of the game.  I'm not going to make my case again but I obviously agree with what you said at the primary level.  It's a completely moot point however.  If there really was no way that something extra could be added (just a matter of working out the design imo), well then a S/PDIF input would be more useful to people than a S/PDIF out I would say.  In any case, I'm not sure why you must go there but it's highly irritating especially when you have a bunch of sheep that read this who don't think outside the box.  You can go back and see people saying the same thing about getting DSD to work because of how unique it would make it and possibly getting it to work as a DAC/amp through USB since the port was already there - the same lines were given against those ideas...  Nobody is arguing against what's fundamentally important but there's no need to be conservative minded.  

 

With multi-functional technologies, I am arguing that a DAP in today's market needs to at least serve as an all-in-one functioning device for audio so that it actually appeals to people who have otherwise found the solution for their high fidelity listening needs or in general so that people not interested in this can otherwise benefit in interesting ways (if described).  There isn't this limitation anymore for needing a DAP to get high quality sound for portable use.  Your phone is capable of being paired with a portable DAC/amps of choice and it can be perfectly integrated (even with the DAP, you'd be carrying around your phone anyway).  Yes, as a DAP, it needs to be a DAP first, but all that simply entails is having a good UI, software for decoding the formats which are being aimed for, some additional basic hardware for running the system, and storage.  There's no reason you can't think of it as an E17 with that stuff added onto it, as that really does make it extremely useful and not just great in its own right.  The E17 can be applied in so many situations and there's no better or easier way of attaining high quality sound than a solution such as that.  Being able to play music natively on such a device has obvious benefits and it really does make it something special.  I'm arguing not that the X5 isn't great, but that this one additional thing adds a whole range of possible application and/or eliminates the need to have multiple devices in certain situations for doing the same thing.

 

I'm sure you know all this.  How hard would it have been to simply say, "yeah, that would be cool!"  I'm sorry; I just don't like being pointlessly undermined.  I'm sure you can understand that - nothing against you really - nothing personal.  Please understand however the implications of what you say.


Edited by Typhoon859 - 3/5/14 at 9:33pm
post #4979 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post
 

 

The next FW update will add a third 'USB OTG' icon to the selection menu. Very cool.

Not clear on what this means or enables. Input from another USB device? 

post #4980 of 19523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post
 

Not clear on what this means or enables. Input from another USB device? 

I think that just means there will be a dedicated icon for switching the source to play from USB.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread