or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 331

post #4951 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post
 


I can't really explain it, but the Mad Dogs are somewhat power hungry. That being said, the X5 sounds much better to me - it's really a nice pairing in spite of having to nearly max out the volume.

 

yes, you can use x3/x5 at full volume at high gain but still keep very low distortion. remember it is different with headphone amp because sometimes the max volume will has distortion when the input signal is too big.

 

also, talking about the output power, there are very very few High Res DAPs can competed with our X3 and X5.

post #4952 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerlandfilms View Post
 


Photoshop is the most ubiquitous and powerful tool for photo manipulation all over the world, but it takes years of usage to even learn how to use it's most basic features. Just because it is difficult does not make it bad. In fact Steve Jobs dumbing down of operating systems might be good for grandmas and babies, but it is bad for the larger computing world because it means you don't have to learn anything about the system, which means you can't fix it when it breaks down, and you have to take it to a bunch of "Geniuses" to get it fixed. It teaches you complacency and ignorance.

I don't completely disagree or agree with your statement.  There are advanced features of mac operating systems and applications that require knowledge to utilize.  The features less used are generally not kept right up front because they are not mainstream functions but they are there.  Good thing about Apple is they offer something for just about everyone.  My wife uses apple devices and she is happy.  That's all that should matter is if the customer is happy.  Apple isn't the most valuable company in the world because they make stuff people don't want.  Elitists are simply that and seem to be the minority.

 

No, I am not a complacent type.  I run multiple distributions of linux and other operating systems on most of my home computers and have worked in the IT field for 20 years and have more certifications than anyone I know but I can say that usability is key to success of any device.  Look at the issues with Windows 8 interface.  Now they are backtracking their interface decisions.  Anyway keeping things simple is important for a lot of reasons.

post #4953 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
 

Well, for most of your examples, you seem to be directly comparing a phone (seemingly not the best one either) with the DAP.  The SQ won't be affected by the phone (or at least very minimally) in the case that I suggested as it would be digitally sent, then converted and amplified, by an external DAC/amp.  The benefit you do have however on a phone is practically any UI of your choice.  

 

Also, when streaming the music to an external device, it really doesn't take much battery life from the phone.  The limitation is once again on the DAC/amp you're pairing it with.  I don't see how you missed that part I mentioned.  Of course the phone on it's own doesn't even compare to a dedicated DAP when it comes to music listening and quality.  It's only recently that, imo, the gap has been closed with this potential implementation of DACs through USB.  

 

Finally, I just have to mention that music listening being interrupted by phone calls would happen regardless, just in the case you're describing, it's with the convenience of being one click away for answering and you don't have to remove your headphones.  Before smartphones (or even when they were first introduced and just weren't good enough), I dreamed of the possibility of not having to very frustratingly pull the earbuds out of my ears and hold them in one hand (or throw them over the shoulder) while I hold the phone in the other.  

 

Sorry but, none of those points I didn't consider and their implications are really minimal even in the cases where one of those benefits may apply considering what would fairly be weighed against that.  Not to be entirely dismissive of what you said, but the awesomeness of the X5 (I guess in a good way) has simply deluded some people.  For the average person, it simply isn't practical anymore, even for those interested in ultimate SQ, considering the alternative options available for that now.  Even for me who has all the reasons in the world to want to get something like this - I'm having a hard time finding reasons to invest in it.  It would just sit there being pretty for the reasons I've expressed, mostly that there's not much if any at all difference in SQ and it's less comfortable/convenient.  The only plus is that it doesn't have to be connected to your phone directly through USB but that doesn't bother me and the freedom from that isn't worth what you'd take away (better tactile buttons and a better UI of your choice) - also not having to switch your headphones out for your phone.  Also, there's an obvious price difference between this and alternatively great portable USB DAC/amps.

Ya, I missed your amp statement.  I hear you about your conundrum.  I have most my music on my phone but prefer to listen to it on my Rockboxed iPod Classic 120 using FLAC.  I run out of phone battery a lot so having a separate device is great.  

 

Just as a personal preference, I get a lot of calls I will not answer so no there is no interruption for most calls for me.  Plus when I'm using my phone as a GPS or a number of other things I don't have to switch applications to manage music or move to another song.  Just a preference though.

post #4954 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerlandfilms View Post
 


Photoshop is the most ubiquitous and powerful tool for photo manipulation all over the world, but it takes years of usage to even learn how to use it's most basic features. Just because it is difficult does not make it bad. In fact Steve Jobs dumbing down of operating systems might be good for grandmas and babies, but it is bad for the larger computing world because it means you don't have to learn anything about the system, which means you can't fix it when it breaks down, and you have to take it to a bunch of "Geniuses" to get it fixed. It teaches you complacency and ignorance.

 

Sorry, but that is plain inaccurate in many respects.  I teach nature photography and my workshops often include Photoshop training.   It takes 2-3 days to get someone to a level of competence where they can manipulate Photoshop for image processing.

 

And you seem to confuse "improved ergonomics" with "dumbing down" - you really think that offering a more intuitive interface with fewer clicks/hand movements is somehow teaching complacency and ignorance?   All I have to say to that is - thank god you are not designing any products I will ever be buying.    

 

I think there is some sort of a reverse snobbery thing with iDevices:  some people take great pride in not being part of the "flock" and doing something different, which is fine - more power to them.  But they need to stop this whole superiority thing.  Not only is it not justified, it is also undeserved.

post #4955 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post
 

 

If there came a time where using phones as DAP doesn't sacrifice SQ, I'll only start considering them when they began improving the battery life by 'A LOT'.

How would the SQ be any different streamed for instance from your phone to the X5 with USB OTG than it would be playing directly from it?  The point is, whether it's the X5 or a cheaper just as quality portable DAC/amp combo, you're still going to be carrying around two devices.  I don't understand the confusion on this point.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

Sorry, but that is plain inaccurate in many respects.  I teach nature photography and my workshops often include Photoshop training.   It takes 2-3 days to get someone to a level of competence where they can manipulate Photoshop for image processing.

 

And you seem to confuse "improved ergonomics" with "dumbing down" - you really think that offering a more intuitive interface with fewer clicks/hand movements is somehow teaching complacency and ignorance?   All I have to say to that is - thank god you are not designing any products I will ever be buying.    

 

I think there is some sort of a reverse snobbery thing with iDevices:  some people take great pride in not being part of the "flock" and doing something different, which is fine - more power to them.  But they need to stop this whole superiority thing.  Not only is it not justified, it is also undeserved.

I don't think that's the perspective he is coming from at all.  It is also completely justified to come to the conclusion that using a device with more flexibility is superior to one which compromises quality for the sake of ease and ignorance.  That is what he is talking about.  Nobody is arguing against improved ergonomics.  From that perspective, indeed I think Apple did a great thing initially with iOS.  As with all things like Apple, the last part of what he says is precisely true.  Maybe it's a little cynical but it's the truth.  There is a clear benefit to actually understanding how something works and having control over it, at least minimally - that over being limited to a set way which cannot be worked around and is targeted for imbeciles.  It lowers standards and feeds ignorance where it isn't necessary, lessening the quality, integrity, and experience for everyone in the process.  I don't entirely think that about Apple products but the effect is the same.  It's an argument for being informed about the things you interact with, especially so frequently.  If Apple didn't build their things with the bare minimum of quality components that they do, I would have no regard for an argument on their behalf because it would no doubt be founded in ignorance.  It would almost be like arguing for Beats.


Edited by Typhoon859 - 3/4/14 at 9:57pm
post #4956 of 19490

I'll be pre-ordering mine later at a local shop here for around $360. :)

post #4957 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

the final sample of the LO cable included in the HS6 (bundle kit for E12 and X5), noted that the kits does not includes E12 and X5.

this cable is HPC-23TN which is PCOCC-A with sliver plated . it is expensive than PCOCC-A and will have better detail


James - Why not use right angle connectors for a lower profile design?
post #4958 of 19490

One question I have that I can't find the answer to: Since there are 2 card slots does the x5 read them as separate directories or does it view them as one single source?

Just curious how that works - thanks!

post #4959 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by subver View Post
 

One question I have that I can't find the answer to: Since there are 2 card slots does the x5 read them as separate directories or does it view them as one single source?

Just curious how that works - thanks!


You select which one you want to access when you go to folder view system.

post #4960 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


You select which one you want to access when you go to folder view system.

Cool, just wanted to make sure - thanks!

post #4961 of 19490
If you haven't had a DAP with dual card slots before it's a pretty cool feeling seeing card1/card2 selection menu come up!
post #4962 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

That is correct.

Unlike the X3, which can be bought for $160-$200 and features a more mainstream market(I believe), the X5 would be more targeted towards those that would buy their own mSD cards.

It's not 100% confirmed, but there is a good chance the X5 will soon be able to support 256GB of storage. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post


You meant onboard/inbuilt memory rite? as we all know it supports 128GB*2=256GB mSD, thru TF slots(2)......already.

@bowei»»» would u be able to confirm that?
post #4963 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post


@bowei»»» would u be able to confirm that?
James at Fiio already confirmed 2 x 128gb TF card support and added it to the X5's feature list at Fiio.net.
post #4964 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

the final sample of the LO cable included in the HS6 (bundle kit for E12 and X5), noted that the kits does not includes E12 and X5.

 

this cable is HPC-23TN which is PCOCC-A with sliver plated . it is expensive than PCOCC-A and will have better detail.

 

Nice! Will this bundle kit include some way to attach the x5 and E12? I am not a fan of the elastic straps.. right now I am simply using 3M lock tight, but a nice silicone case that holds them together would be nice!

post #4965 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by subver View Post
 

Nice! Will this bundle kit include some way to attach the x5 and E12? I am not a fan of the elastic straps.. right now I am simply using 3M lock tight, but a nice silicone case that holds them together would be nice!


Check previous photos in this thread you will see how the kit looks like.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread