What does "DRM" mean please....
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApple iPod classic 160 GB (7th Generation)tagged by dbsaffor, 1/11/14
- brandFiiOtagged by shaun_g, 6/30/15
- productFiiO X3 Portable Music Playertagged by dbsaffor, 1/11/14
- productFiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Playertagged by Joe Bloggs, 4/12/14
- brandLotootagged by shaun_g, 8/26/15
- productLotoo Paw 5000tagged by shaun_g, 8/26/15
Related Forum Threads
- Lotoo PAW 5000 now available from Hifiheadphones.co.uk Last post on 10/6/15 at 7:28am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread Last post on 12/7/16 at 9:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Fiio X3 vs Fiio X5: A matter of sound... Last post on 11/29/16 at 11:25am in Portable Source Gear
- The Fiio X3 Thread. Last post on 12/6/16 at 11:44pm in Portable Source Gear
- Review: LOTOO PAW 5000 - A very versatile portable player Last post on 1/8/16 at 6:30am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones. These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were...
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 285
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Now I gotta find a Martin Logan Mikros 90 around $60-99 willing to ship to Belgium. And maybe a Focal Spiirit Pro too.
Hmm, do you guys think 128gb SDXC UHS1+ will come out by early March?
Edit: Sonic Electronix ships to Belgium and they accepted to beat NewEgg's price
So I ordered 2 Martin Logan Mikros 90 (future backup)
What an euphoric moment for me
Edited by Cagin - 2/6/14 at 6:52pm
actually, I find the SQ of ZX-1 is not for me, it sounded a bit "unnatural"... that's just my personal taste and I cannot be too analytical about it... I couldnt care less about the UI and design..
but I think u need to demo zx-1 and HM802 at least.
As you know, the Fiio players will play most major audio formats, so they cater for most of the music content that Fiio's customers own/buy. Just because Neil Young may have major labels on board does not mean that those labels will necessarily limit themselves to PONO as a retail channel for their content. I am not aware of NY having signed any *exclusivity* contracts with any labels. Therefore, even though the record labels, understandably, would like to DRM all their content, history has taught them that that approach is fraught with problems and just p1$$e$ off their customers, sometimes even dissuading them from buying at all. So whatever labels NY may have signed-up, will probably also sell through non-DRM channels, too (i.e. not just through PONO).
If the big labels want to make a healthy income from their content, then the best approach they can take is to produce a quality product (i.e. not just upsampled from Redbook) and retail it at a fair price, without even needing to annoy their customers with DRM schemes.
When it was first announced, I was really keen to get onboard with PONO, but when I heard about the DRM, I just thought how archaic that approach is, and, frankly, dooming itself to medioce levels of success, or even failure.
Again, Fiio will have nothing to fear from PONO
Remember, there's an entire industry producing portable and fullsize audiophile hi-fi equipment - there's no way in hell the entire industry is going to allow itself to be held to ransom by the PONO format ecosystem, and that's yet another reason why many labels who have signed up to PONO will simultaneously sell through non-PONO / non-DRM retail channels, too.
It's all good. As much as I dislike PONO's attempts at DRM, I still appreciate Neil's contribution to raising public awareness of Hi-Res audio, as it will improve availability of Hi-Res hardware, across the industry.
Quite a few of us have observed, on several occasions, in various Head-fi threads, that Fiio have an exceedingly bright future ahead of them, because they are giving customers what they desire, and at great quality for the very reasonable prices they are asking. No need for James and the team to feel insecure in any way, whether it be because of Neil Young or even their competitors. And as far as their closest competitor (iBasso) is concerned, there's plenty of room in the marketplace for both of them to be successful.
I pretty much agree with you, but I am reminded of how Creative didn't feel the need to worry about Apple, because Apple had a closed ecosystem that was DRMed, and Creative had the superior Audio players. Didn't go too well for them though. Hopefully everyone has learned their lessons since then.
This is not yet implemented. That will be a future FW update.
yeah i am sort of waiting for the hm802 to arrive here to take a listen, alot of retailer here seems to fear in stocking the hm802(the hm901 didnt sell all that well here)
I'm assuming Jakarta, where his profile says he lives.
I don't think the X5 is released to the U.S. market yet. Right now it's only in China.
I got another Samsung 64GB MicroSD from Amazon China. The first is working great so why not ape a good thing.
I now have a serious music collection on the X5.
I am really loving this DAP. X5 + Heaven VI is a fine portable system.
Edited by cooperpwc - 2/7/14 at 4:19am
- The Fiio X5 Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 14 seconds ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 1 minute ago
- › Modi2/magni2 Hd 650 clear but harsh. 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 5 minutes ago
- › FS/FT Lambda Pro 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear