or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 273

post #4081 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

When you use the normal library function - if you choose Artist, rather than then displaying Album (from the artist you've chosen), it just throws you into a full file list of every song from that artist.  And not in album order either - instead in file-name order.  So if you have multiple albums, and your tracks are 01 - songname, 02 - songname etc - it currently shows al the 01's first, then the 02's etc.

 

Easily solvable by just using folder mode - but it is a software issue - and I'm pretty sure that James and his crew will get it fixed.

 

It's in my review (+ some pics) if you're interested (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10368)

As above.

 

Yes folder mode is snappy and easy to use for me personally since I am quite OCD about tagging and file management.

 

The beauty of the X5 is the overall neutrality with a slight tinge of warmth keeping the attack smooth particularly in the treble without loss of articulation of extension. The HD600 loves that.

post #4082 of 19490

I just read your review Marcus.  You're hearing it pretty much the same I was.  I was very impressed for $350.  Did you try the gain with the planars?

post #4083 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusd View Post
 

 

The beauty of the X5 is the overall neutrality with a slight tinge of warmth keeping the attack smooth particularly in the treble without loss of articulation of extension.

 

 

Interesting.  Fiio admitted (somewhere in this thread, or the other X5 thread) that they had altered the tuning, prior to releasing the X5, following feedback from Chinese dealers etc.  (i.e. you heard the re-tuned 'final' version)

 

One can only speculate on what aspect of the original SS that retuning addressed, but I wonder if it may have been in order to add a tinge of warmth to an otherwise 'neutral-to-the-point-of-being-cold' SS?   Much as I love the SQ and SS of iBasso's DX100, it can sometimes sound rather cold with some recordings, and doesn't forgive harsh treble in a recording. I'm just speculating that perhaps Fiio designed the X5 to be extremely neutral, but then perhaps slightly warmed it, in the re-tuning process?

post #4084 of 19490

Speaking of the UI...

 

James and Joe, I have a suggestion....

 

I Browse by Folder and I am pleased with the experience. It is close to flawless. There is one thing missing which is common on other DAPs and which would really improve things.

 

When I am listening to music, I like to browse to what I will listen to next. Then I want to return to the Now Playing screen without losing my browser position. This is not possible on the X5. I have to go up to the Main Menu and then enter Now Playing. When I do this, my browser position is lost. Later I have to navigate all over again to the new music that I want to hear.

 

The solution is simple. Currently in Browser Mode, the Shortcut key brings up a choice of SD cards (and soon OTG also). As shown in the Instruction Manual, it looks like this:

 

 

All that is needed is to add a further option to go directly to the Now Playing screen from the Browser. It would look like this.

 

 

later, when I select the Browser Option from the Main Menu, I return to where I was in my browsing. Meanwhile I still have that wonderful feature of using the scroll wheel to move around the currently playing album in the Now Playing screen no matter where I am in my browsing.

 

A simple but useful improvement for your consideration.

 

Cheers!

 :beerchug: 

post #4085 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

When you use the normal library function - if you choose Artist, rather than then displaying Album (from the artist you've chosen), it just throws you into a full file list of every song from that artist.  And not in album order either - instead in file-name order.  So if you have multiple albums, and your tracks are 01 - songname, 02 - songname etc - it currently shows al the 01's first, then the 02's etc.

 

Easily solvable by just using folder mode - but it is a software issue - and I'm pretty sure that James and his crew will get it fixed.

 

It's in my review (+ some pics) if you're interested (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10368)

Hmmm , doesnt really bother me  since I most often listen to by the albums , but I guess that should be fixed , I pretty much can tolerate most things that is not really hisound ui, and have at least correct tag browsing

post #4086 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 

Hmmm , doesnt really bother me  since I most often listen to by the albums , but I guess that should be fixed , I pretty much can tolerate most things that is not really hisound ui, and have at least correct tag browsing

 

it does have correct tagging but its just a list of albums with no artist name on the scroller, if that works for you then you should find the UI easy to navigate in media library.

post #4087 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

I just read your review Marcus.  You're hearing it pretty much the same I was.  I was very impressed for $350.  Did you try the gain with the planars?

 

Yup that was my feedback with the planers using gain, sorry if I didnt mention that in the review. 

post #4088 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

Interesting.  Fiio admitted (somewhere in this thread, or the other X5 thread) that they had altered the tuning, prior to releasing the X5, following feedback from Chinese dealers etc.  (i.e. you heard the re-tuned 'final' version)

 

One can only speculate on what aspect of the original SS that retuning addressed, but I wonder if it may have been in order to add a tinge of warmth to an otherwise 'neutral-to-the-point-of-being-cold' SS?   Much as I love the SQ and SS of iBasso's DX100, it can sometimes sound rather cold with some recordings, and doesn't forgive harsh treble in a recording. I'm just speculating that perhaps Fiio designed the X5 to be extremely neutral, but then perhaps slightly warmed it, in the re-tuning process?

 

That is an interesting theory actually but sadly one I cannot verify. It does make some sense though and the international version could well be changed again via FW if our feedback is consistent to FiiO. 

post #4089 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusd View Post
 

 

it does have correct tagging but its just a list of albums with no artist name on the scroller, if that works for you then you should find the UI easy to navigate in media library.


thank you marcusd, I read your review earlier , seems like a really good dap

post #4090 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


thank you marcusd, I read your review earlier , seems like a really good dap

 

It feels very mature as a DAP, considering it's $350 and only a year or less after the X3 thats remarkable.

post #4091 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusd View Post
 

Thanks :) note the caveats with the LCD-2 and HE6 driving out of the X5 - more satisfying with the LCD-2 and I originally came to the X5 thinking more likely HD600 and 650 than planers.


Hi Marcusd,

 

Just need your opinion. I love the lush sound of X3 and my AT Woodies (W1000, ESW11LTD). And I afraid that X5 will be too bright for me. What do you think? Is X5 as bright as AK120? I pair my AT and AK120 and the sound is not suit for my taste

 

Thanks

post #4092 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikroski View Post
 


Hi Marcusd,

 

Just need your opinion. I love the lush sound of X3 and my AT Woodies (W1000, ESW11LTD). And I afraid that X5 will be too bright for me. What do you think? Is X5 as bright as AK120? I pair my AT and AK120 and the sound is not suit for my taste

 

Thanks

 

Not yet tested the AK120 but the X5 to me is not bright  - more neutral and as such most cans will work fine with them except inherently bright cans. It is not as lush as the x3 but it is more resolving and more engaging.

post #4093 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Speaking of the UI...



 



James and Joe, I have a suggestion....



 




 




the lefe-up bottom works as shortcut key so your advice is reasonable and we will see whether we should include in the future firmware upgrading.
Edited by JamesFiiO - 2/3/14 at 2:03am
post #4094 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusd View Post
 

 

Not yet tested the AK120 but the X5 to me is not bright  - more neutral and as such most cans will work fine with them except inherently bright cans. It is not as lush as the x3 but it is more resolving and more engaging.

 

hello, Marcus! gon xi fa cai ! long time no see  :) 

post #4095 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

hello, Marcus! gon xi fa cai ! long time no see  :) 

Hi James! yes indeed, hope all is well and you are enjoying your holiday ! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread