or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 272

post #4066 of 19490

Even if there is a speed difference I'm not concerned about it, because I very, very rarely repopulate my cards - I take care to populate them with exactly what I want and then pretty-much leave them that way for many months (even years, in some cases!). Maybe a few alterations & additions, occasionally, but the main bulk of files just left alone.

 

 

 



Edited by Mython - 2/2/14 at 4:05pm
post #4067 of 19490

It is fastest to transfer files directly from your computer to the card. Fiio includes a card reader with the X5 which is a nice touch.

 

I have also done some transfers of a few albums via USB to the X5 and it was fine.

post #4068 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post

In spite of the fact that I have had a very poor experience using the X3 (it seems all of my trouble stems from iffy firmware), I have still not completely dismissed the notion of trying the X5 instead when it appears here in the US. However, I was just looking over the published specs for the device, and I am dismayed and shocked to find that the USB cable is still just USB 2! That can't be right, can it?? Surely they would be shipping this technology with USB 3 capabilities! Am I wrong? I can't imagine sending 50gb of files to the device using USB 2.


 



it is out of our ability, very sorry for that!
post #4069 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
 

In spite of the fact that I have had a very poor experience using the X3 (it seems all of my trouble stems from iffy firmware), I have still not completely dismissed the notion of trying the X5 instead when it appears here in the US. However, I was just looking over the published specs for the device, and I am dismayed and shocked to find that the USB cable is still just USB 2! That can't be right, can it?? Surely they would be shipping this technology with USB 3 capabilities! Am I wrong? I can't imagine sending 50gb of files to the device using USB 2.

 



it is out of our ability, very sorry for that!


No need to apologize, IMHO.  USB3 is not necessary.  As mentioned, the choke point is the speed of microSD cards.  They don't even have enough write speed caacity to max-out USB2 throughput.  IOW, it's a stupid complaint.

post #4070 of 19490
Just wondering which DAP has USB3?
post #4071 of 19490

Note that the fastest current SD speed is UHS 3 (which requires special implementation to run on that speed), equals to or greater than 30MB/s. Pretty much all of us are using Class 10, which is 10MB/s. USB 2.0 top speed is around 35MB/s in real world, which already faster than even UHS 3 and 3x faster than Class 10, so regardless of how fast your USB is, it will never be faster than what the SD card can read and write. Like other have said, USB 3.0 won't do you any good until the SD v4 (UHS-II) is fully adopted by the industries. But that was announced 2.5 years ago and we have yet to see any real products in the market so far.

post #4072 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

Note that the fastest current SD speed is UHS 3 (which requires special implementation to run on that speed), equals to or greater than 30MB/s. Pretty much all of us are using Class 10, which is 10MB/s. USB 2.0 top speed is around 35MB/s in real world, which already faster than even UHS 3 and 3x faster than Class 10, so regardless of how fast your USB is, it will never be faster than what the SD card can read and write. Like other have said, USB 3.0 won't do you any good until the SD v4 (UHS-II) is fully adopted by the industries. But that was announced 2.5 years ago and we have yet to see any real products in the market so far.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfive View Post
 


No need to apologize, IMHO.  USB3 is not necessary.  As mentioned, the choke point is the speed of microSD cards.  They don't even have enough write speed caacity to max-out USB2 throughput.  IOW, it's a stupid complaint.

 

Exactly... :rolleyes:

post #4073 of 19490

 

My X3's USB cable is in my bed room because I will charge it when I sleep. So, I always insert my SD card directly to computer for file transfer. fast, simple and easiest way.

post #4074 of 19490

http://headfonics.com/2014/02/the-x5-by-fiio/

 

Good early review by Headfonics if anyone is interested. Mostly good stuff, Marcus says it even powered an HE-600 and LCD-2 surprisingly well, though it sounds like the UI is still a work in progress (hopefully still in progress I guess, and not just the finished product)

post #4075 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

http://headfonics.com/2014/02/the-x5-by-fiio/

 

Good early review by Headfonics if anyone is interested. Mostly good stuff, Marcus says it even powered an HE-600 and LCD-2 surprisingly well, though it sounds like the UI is still a work in progress (hopefully still in progress I guess, and not just the finished product)

Thanks :) note the caveats with the LCD-2 and HE6 driving out of the X5 - more satisfying with the LCD-2 and I originally came to the X5 thinking more likely HD600 and 650 than planers.

post #4076 of 19490

Did you try it with the HD600 Marcus?

 

I was presently surprised with the dynamics - not only on the Senns, but on my 250 ohm DT880's as well.  If they can fix the UI - Fiio has an absolute winner IMO. 

post #4077 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Did you try it with the HD600 Marcus?

 

I was presently surprised with the dynamics - not only on the Senns, but on my 250 ohm DT880's as well.  If they can fix the UI - Fiio has an absolute winner IMO. 


Can I ask whats wrong with the UI ? is it the album issue?

post #4078 of 19490
I think it only cannot scan the library but plays fine using file browsing mode...
post #4079 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


Can I ask whats wrong with the UI ? is it the album issue?

 

When you use the normal library function - if you choose Artist, rather than then displaying Album (from the artist you've chosen), it just throws you into a full file list of every song from that artist.  And not in album order either - instead in file-name order.  So if you have multiple albums, and your tracks are 01 - songname, 02 - songname etc - it currently shows al the 01's first, then the 02's etc.

 

Easily solvable by just using folder mode - but it is a software issue - and I'm pretty sure that James and his crew will get it fixed.

 

It's in my review (+ some pics) if you're interested (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10368)

post #4080 of 19490
That Artist > Album request was made since launch of X3....i am not sure the priority of this in the backlog
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread