or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 191

post #2851 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post


I had an opportunity to compare my X3 with an AK100 a few days ago: I listened to the exact same FLAC files on both devices (put my 32gb card into the AK100, and copies of the tracks were present on the X3s onboard memory), and listened on both my old favorite IEMs, the SE530s, and demoed the shop's best $2000 cans as well. Truthfully, I could not hear a significant difference between the two devices (well, any difference, to be honest).

So, my conclusion: the real difference was that for another five hundred dollars, what A&K offered me was a better UI and little more. (I'm sure some of you will disagree, and that's ok too; those with a keener sense of hearing may discern the SQ differences between the two - but I couldn't. You could say that the AK100 is a more "polished" device, design-wise, and if that is important to you, then it's a valid point) Is the improvement of UI worth five hundred dollars to me? No. I was happy to have had the experience of comparing the two, and found the touch screen interface far more user-friendly, but I came away from it without buying an A&K device. I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that the X3 has the bonus feature of a line out, something the A&K devices do not. That point also influenced my decision to not buy an AK100.

Will I graduate to an X5 this spring? That depends how comfortable I get with the X3 in the next few months. I've found the device kludgy and a trial to actually use; the UI is a compromise, mainly because FiiO chose to forgo the touch screen interface, relying instead on an older style of button navigation that many manufacturers eschew in this age. I realize the button interface was chosen to keep the cost down, but it isn't doing the device any favors, IMO. (If FiiO could give us a player that included a touch screen navigation interface, and do so for under $500 they would have my undivided attention, for certain.) I'm likely to wait till I read reviews of the X5 before I decide what I will do about choosing an upgrade. For now, I will work at training my brain to use the X3s awkward navigation as best I can, and see how I fare over an extended period.

 

 

Thing is that the AK100 can go as high as 162GB of space while the X3 can only do 64gb max. And when SD cards higher than 64 come out it will do much more than that. Space is a feature that carries a premium.

post #2852 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziehustler View Post
 

 

 

Thing is that the AK100 can go as high as 162GB of space while the X3 can only do 64gb max. And when SD cards higher than 64 come out it will do much more than that. Space is a feature that carries a premium.

I recognize that, yes. But for me, its not an issue, since I have no intention of ripping all my CDs to FLAC or repurchasing favorite works as HD files - I am only going to choose the top 10% of my music catalog to listen to as HD stuff (currently, my HD music files remain under 40gb); the majority of my music will remain on an iPod Classic, where 256 kbps MP3s and Apple Lossless will be "good enough" for daily use. There are plenty of recordings out there that never had (and never will have) the kind of production values many current recordings embody, so I feel no need to reinvest in them as "HD" versions, since they offer me precious little increased value for the investment. YMMV, of course. :-)

post #2853 of 19484

Are you guys referring to the X5? Doesn't it have dual micro sd slots like the AK line? In that case with 128 GB plus 16 internal that is still quite a lot of storage potential IMO.

post #2854 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

Are you guys referring to the X5? Doesn't it have dual micro sd slots like the AK line? In that case with 128 GB plus 16 internal that is still quite a lot of storage potential IMO.


X5 doesn't have internal memory Lee. Only 2 micro sd card slots. Which is still good :happy_face1:

post #2855 of 19484

Oh... I didn't know that :P. Still 128 GB is quite good. Just swap out micro SD cards and have a holder on hand. That's what I do.

 

http://www.amazon.com/SDcardholder-com-040110RR-Micro-Holder-RED/dp/B006J70YRM

post #2856 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

Oh... I didn't know that :P. Still 128 GB is quite good. Just swap out micro SD cards and have a holder on hand. That's what I do.

 

http://www.amazon.com/SDcardholder-com-040110RR-Micro-Holder-RED/dp/B006J70YRM


lol, nice little gadget :happy_face1:

post #2857 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


X5 doesn't have internal memory Lee. Only 2 micro sd card slots. Which is still good happy_face1.gif

And if you happen to have two SD to microSD converters, you can have up to 256GB of storage.

Which is really very good.
post #2858 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


And if you happen to have two SD to microSD converters, you can have up to 256GB of storage.

Which is really very good.


Yup, however I found them a bit fragile. Don't you think on to go, like putting the dap into the pocket, taking it out etc. will not damage the converter?

post #2859 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post


Yup, however I found them a bit fragile. Don't you think on to go, like putting the dap into the pocket, taking it out etc. will not damage the converter?

Well, you ought to put a case around the X5 + converters, and add a layer to the TF card plug thing, and then it should be all right?
post #2860 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


Well, you ought to put a case around the X5 + converters, and add a layer to the TF card plug thing, and then it should be all right?


If X5 + converter(s) can stick into a silicone case (or gel or leather choose the one you like) without a problem and all, I might even call it a day ;) 256 sweet gb :happy_face1:

post #2861 of 19484
edit
Edited by Circe - 1/1/14 at 4:38pm
post #2862 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

Oh... I didn't know that :P. Still 128 GB is quite good. Just swap out micro SD cards and have a holder on hand. That's what I do.

 

http://www.amazon.com/SDcardholder-com-040110RR-Micro-Holder-RED/dp/B006J70YRM

I agree,I use these:

 

post #2863 of 19484

 

This works great, too. 6 X 64GB = 384GB !! 

Small enough to fit inside most cases....>Link<

post #2864 of 19484
post #2865 of 19484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post
 

^ LoL since we are on this topic..... cheap shipped. : P

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190905591789

 

Even an anti-shock/ waterproof one.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-shock-Waterproof-Memory-Card-Case-Holder-Storage-for-2CF-4XD-4-Micro-SD-/370953210541?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item565e88caad

 

Hmmm...if the top one you listed includes the inner holder (which is the same piece as in my post) that's a great deal !

 

The second one only holds 4 MicroSD's, so that's kind of a waste of space.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread