Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 917

post #13741 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

At least it's a class act.  smile.gif

Yup
post #13742 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

I was going to go the Philippines and find one of those guys that can reach into your body without breaking the skin and pull out the stuff making you sick.  I figure if he can do that he can pull out the old battery and put in the new one.  ksc75smile.gif

Good idea.
Let us know how that works out for you!
tongue.gif
post #13743 of 19566

I actually found some photos of it, but I'm too squeamish to post them here.  I figure, if they can get bloody bits out without breaking the skin, they surely can get a battery out of an X5.  I think the hard part, for them, would be getting the new battery back in.:veryevil:

post #13744 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

I actually found some photos of it, but I'm too squeamish to post them here.  I figure, if they can get bloody bits out without breaking the skin, they surely can get a battery out of an X5.  I think the hard part, for them, would be getting the new battery back in.very_evil_smiley.gif

Best post me read today @olddude

post #13745 of 19566

...so.. there are any differences between standalone 192/24 downgraded to 44.1/16, or all of you, my friends, have more than 6TB of drive space[this is my next hdd size, and i still don't consider keeping anything above 44.1/16 in my computer.]

 

I would still download hi res audio, for converting them to 44.1/16 because of remastering and other stuff, but i certainly cannot hear any differences between 16/44.1 and 24/96 or 24/192..

 

i was able to hear differences between mp3 at 320 and FLAC, but after FLAC there is nothing i can actually point in ABX tests.

post #13746 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokei View Post


Best post me read today @olddude


After that image I'm wondering why I was being squemish about the psychic healer photo.  Damn, I have to go wash my eyes out with lye now.  

post #13747 of 19566

As to 16 vs 24 vs DSD, maybe it's the mix and maybe it's not.  I purchased the first Quicksilver Messenger Service album in 24 and compared it to my album rip and boy does it sound "better."  I can tell which is which with no trouble using my X5/fFidues.  Other albums I have in 24 are also enough different that I can hear it.  The DSD rips from SACD are in a whole other place.  You listen to them and compare with 16/44 and most really are superb.  A few are just minor, but most really make me smile.  Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True is just a slight improvement, but Steely Dan's Aja in DSD is really better than even the Japanese SHM I have, which is very good indeed.  The Who's Sell Out is incredibly clear, The Stones in DSD are magnificent, even over the 24 bit, Dire Straits is... great, and The Band's Music From Big Pink makes me dance when I listen to it (and I don't dance).  Miles' Sketches Of Spain? Wow!  And Derek And The Dominos finally sounds good!

 

And that is when I convert them down to 24/192, or let the X5 convert internally to 24/88. On my home system, full out, they are brilliant.

post #13748 of 19566
Where the hi-res and standard-res versions from the same master or were some of them remastered?
post #13749 of 19566

The Quicksilver?  It was a hi-res version from, I believe, the same master.  The DSDs are from SACDs, so clearly not.  It will be interesting to hear what the Pono store makes available in hi-res.  I get the feeling that there will be no remastering, simply taking the master and converting it down less.  

 

For the 18 bucks I was very pleasantly surprised by the Quicksilver.  It sounds exactly the same, except better.  Bass is certainly stronger, trebles a bit more bell-like (which helps the horn sound on the lead guitar), no sibilance at all.  Remixed or just clearer?  

 

In the same area, I used to buy the German and English pressings of vinyl records in the 60s and 70s.  And they sounded markedly better than did the American versions.  That was due to better vinyl, and certainly to better cutting masters (American companies made many more copies before replacing the cutting master, leading to muffled sound as the master got duller).  People used to say that I was paying too much for those imports, that it was all the same.  Yet I could hear the difference between an American copy of Rubber Soul and the one from my Blue Box.

post #13750 of 19566

I got this one.  Says nothing about how it was mastered.  http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/99154/Quicksilver_Messenger_Service-Quicksilver_Messenger_Service-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download

 

But the DSD version on the same site says it was "Mastered from the Capitol vault analog master tapes by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Mastering Studios"

 

I'm not sure how to interpret that, but to my ears the 24 bit sure sounds like the CD, except I can hear everything more clearly.  I didn't get the DSD version, so can't say if it also has the same mix.  

post #13751 of 19566

man, i downloaded some DSD and transformed them into 16/44.1, just for the fun of it. No audible difference, between what was before and after. That translated, i get to have 50mb FLAC instead of 250mbFLAC, but it sounds the same. 

 

If you download Hi-res and downgrade it to 16/44.1 you will not be able to hear a single difference. Tested AB with foobar. Or i need equipment upgrade [i higly doubt this]

post #13752 of 19566

Then....probably not a good idea to buy hi-res and down convert it to 16/44.

post #13753 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
 

As to 16 vs 24 vs DSD, maybe it's the mix and maybe it's not.  I purchased the first Quicksilver Messenger Service album in 24 and compared it to my album rip and boy does it sound "better."  I can tell which is which with no trouble using my X5/fFidues.  Other albums I have in 24 are also enough different that I can hear it.  The DSD rips from SACD are in a whole other place.  You listen to them and compare with 16/44 and most really are superb.  A few are just minor, but most really make me smile.  Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True is just a slight improvement, but Steely Dan's Aja in DSD is really better than even the Japanese SHM I have, which is very good indeed.  The Who's Sell Out is incredibly clear, The Stones in DSD are magnificent, even over the 24 bit, Dire Straits is... great, and The Band's Music From Big Pink makes me dance when I listen to it (and I don't dance).  Miles' Sketches Of Spain? Wow!  And Derek And The Dominos finally sounds good!

 

And that is when I convert them down to 24/192, or let the X5 convert internally to 24/88. On my home system, full out, they are brilliant.

 

Quicksilver Messenger Service?

Say, you are an old dude!

 

"Sketches Of Spain", one of the greatest works of art of the 20th Century!  :D

post #13754 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

 

Quicksilver Messenger Service?

Say, you are an old dude!

 

"Sketches Of Spain", one of the greatest works of art of the 20th Century!  :D


Grew up living down the street from John Cippolina.  He was a couple of years older, treated me like a kid brother (or a pet?).  I got to go to some shows, hang out with him around town and at his apt., knew the family, got Xmas cards from Dad & Mom for a while.  Local town boys, ya know?  God, the 60s were fun.  

 

Amazingly, some people don't like Sketches.  However, I agree with you.  

 

To me the Oldies on the radio aren't old.  They are what I listened to growing up in the 50s and early/mid 60s.  Saw the first show of Cream when they came to SF on their first tour.  Saw Dylan when he came through with the Hawks the first time, and they were wearing suits and had short hair.  Went to the Human Be-In (Google it) and Altamont.  Hell, I'm so old I saw President Eisenhower give a speech while he was still in office (no music there, of course, except Hail To The Chief).  So I listen to the old stuff.  That's what the kids will be doing when they get older, listening to the music that was playing in their lives when their lives became their own.  :smile: 

post #13755 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
 


Grew up living down the street from John Cippolina.  He was a couple of years older, treated me like a kid brother (or a pet?).  I got to go to some shows, hang out with him around town and at his apt., knew the family, got Xmas cards from Dad & Mom for a while.  Local town boys, ya know?  God, the 60s were fun.  

 

Amazingly, some people don't like Sketches.  However, I agree with you.  

 

To me the Oldies on the radio aren't old.  They are what I listened to growing up in the 50s and early/mid 60s.  Saw the first show of Cream when they came to SF on their first tour.  Saw Dylan when he came through with the Hawks the first time, and they were wearing suits and had short hair.  Went to the Human Be-In (Google it) and Altamont.  Hell, I'm so old I saw President Eisenhower give a speech while he was still in office (no music there, of course, except Hail To The Chief).  So I listen to the old stuff.  That's what the kids will be doing when they get older, listening to the music that was playing in their lives when their lives became their own.  :smile: 

 

I must admit to being unfamiliar with Quicksilver, but I am familiar with the other bands.

 

Were Cream a good live band?  

I must admit that I like their studio albums, but the live albums have these really long, self indulgent solos. I think some of these guys thought they could solo like Trane......they couldn't!  :rolleyes: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread