Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 915

post #13711 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

All new equipment is a risk.  That's what happens when you start reading here.  You find new things that tempt you.  A new player.  Then new iems.  Then maybe better cables, or an amp.  smile_phones.gif

I brought my Grado PS1000 to work today, and my boss has been using them all day :P
post #13712 of 19566

THERE'S a risk!  

post #13713 of 19566
+1 joining the club!

Just received my X5 and couldn't be happier with my UM3x.

I had a X3 which was also paired with UM3x and I really could tell the difference between X3 and X5,even though X3 was a really nice player!

The killing point for me was the much better controls / UI vs X3, even with the room for improvement that everybody talks about the X5.

Now I'm just waiting for my 2 128Gb Microsd to fill X5 with joy smily_headphones1.gif.
Edited by kbk00 - 11/21/14 at 7:15am
post #13714 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk00 View Post

+1 joining the club!

Just received my X5 and couldn't be happier with my UM3x.

I had a X3 which was also paired with UM3x and I really could tell the difference between X3 and X5,even though X3 was a really nice player!

The killing point for me was the much better controls / UI vs X3, even with the room for improvement that everybody talks about the X5.

Now I'm just waiting for my 2 128Gb Microsd to fill X5 with joy smily_headphones1.gif.

 

Welcome to Head-Fi, mate! Sorry for your wallet.

 

And I agree, the X3's UI (original firmware) is dreadful, but I am happy to see the X5 has much better UI (and controls).

post #13715 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Welcome to Head-Fi, mate! Sorry for your wallet.

 

And I agree, the X3's UI (original firmware) is dreadful, but I am happy to see the X5 has much better UI (and controls).


The reason for that is because from v3.00 the X3 firmware is a port of the X5. What was designed to work with the X5's hartdware doesn't fit so well with the X3.

post #13716 of 19566

Just an update on the issues I have been having with my 128GB SD memory cards...

 

I've determined that the one is completely bricked.  I am returning it (again) for a new one.  At this point, it's not clear that the X5 caused it or not.

 

I'm going to work on resolving that if I can, but I don't really want to destroy any more of those things at $120 per card.  Thankfully, I bought them from a 100% reputable dealer (BHPhotovideo) along with the X5, and they have been willing to provide customer support.  It's worth it to by from good dealers, and my background with them goes back to the early 80's with photo gear.  I don't want to even think about how much I've purchased from them over the years...

 

 

---Michael

post #13717 of 19566
It is not uncommon for micro sd cards to fail at any time, I have had 2 so far in different brands fail randomly, one after a week of use.(In a phone, not the x5)
I don't think it was the x5 that fried it. You just received a dodgy card. Don't worry it will be replaced.
Edited by audioxxx - 11/21/14 at 4:26pm
post #13718 of 19566
It would certainly be helpful to share the brand name for your mico sd cards that have failed. I have been using Sandisk for many years with no failures and would love to know what brands to avoid.
post #13719 of 19566
I think all the major brands will have some amount of faulty units, it's when a bad batch of cards goes out that's when you hear about it. (one of my failed micro sd a SanDisk 32 gig).
post #13720 of 19566

Try a couple of 64gb Adata Premier cards instead of that big old 128 and see if that works for you.  If everything is up and running, then get another 128.  

post #13721 of 19566

Hey all- I hate to change the subject, but I am looking for help.  Can someone please let me know if the latest firmware upgrade will allow the EQ to work on hi res, or is it limited to 44.1khz?  If not yet, is this something that may happen in the future?  Sorry, I have been researching, and cannot find the answer.  Thanks!

post #13722 of 19566
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionmike View Post
 

Hey all- I hate to change the subject, but I am looking for help.  Can someone please let me know if the latest firmware upgrade will allow the EQ to work on hi res, or is it limited to 44.1khz?  If not yet, is this something that may happen in the future?  Sorry, I have been researching, and cannot find the answer.  Thanks!

 

As far as I know, the EQ will never work on hi-res tracks due to the load it places on the processor (other please correct me if I've missed something)

post #13723 of 19566

That's my understanding as well.

post #13724 of 19566

"Since EQ adjustment for high sample rate files would cause system unresponsiveness, we limited EQ adjustments to files with sample rates 48kHz or lower."

post #13725 of 19566

Somebody posted here a while back about "stuttering" of hi-res files on the X5, and put forth a theory about it being a buffering issue.  I responded that my hi-res files don't stutter, and they are quite large files.  Following up, I found this in the X5 User Guide:

 

"Playing high bitrate files from slow TF cards may cause stuttering. Class 6 or above genuine microSD cards are recommended"

 

I use Class 10 cards.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread