or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 694

post #10396 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVier View Post

Wouldn't know how the X5 and PHA 1 could sensibly interface??


X5 line out to PHA1 Audio In...

 

Or Coax out to Digital in if you want to use the PHA 1's DAC instead of the X5's.


Edited by uzi2 - 6/13/14 at 7:55am
post #10397 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post
 

A friend of mine has the PNY 256 gb turbo drive.  I will be able to try that in my X5 later on today.   I will report back with what I find out.

 

Thanks

Mike 


Sweet. Don't forget to check if it affects battery life. If not, we can make a 700GB DAP with two SD cards.

 

PNY 256gb flash drive is only 99 dollars and it can perform as fast as 130 mb/s.  I think this product is the best in this price range. Their 256GB SD cards are about 100 dollars too.

post #10398 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi2 View Post


X5 line out to PHA1 Audio In...

Or Coax out to Digital in if you want to use the PHA 1's DAC instead of the X5's.

Ok, maybe I'll try to find a fitting digital in on the PHA 1.

Cleaned out, new tips, on the BA200. that's a difference smily_headphones1.gif
post #10399 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 


Sweet. Don't forget to check if it affects battery life. If not, we can make a 700GB DAP with two SD cards.

 

PNY 256gb flash drive is only 99 dollars and it can perform as fast as 130 mb/s.  I think this product is the best in this price range. Their 256GB SD cards are about 100 dollars too.

 

One thing to keep in mind if you haven't used the OTG yet, when you power off the X5 (or it auto powers off after timeout), the player does not resume playing from where it was when powered back on. It only does that with TF1 & 2. You have to renavigate back to the album/tracks & start again.

 

It gets a bit annoying, but you get used to it & adjust pretty quickly. Hopefully there will be a fw fix for it.

post #10400 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVier View Post

Got my X5 today. Came with fw 2.0 and black silicone protector.

Compared it with my Ipod/PHA 1

Pha 1 has more power, and sounds warmer in general.

The X5 sounds a bit thin with my TDK BA200 compared with the Ipod/PHA 1

On the Grado SR325 the X5 sounds way better as the Ipod/PHA 1, but is a bit underpowered.

Also tried my Sony XBA 40 but the BA200 sounds better on anything.

I like the user interface, no bugs for me yet. I miss the warmth and power of the PHA 1.

Guess is to find better iems.

 

I got some Westone W4r's last week & like them very much with the X5. The have a very nicely balanced sound with just a bit of warmth.

 

The X5 powers them very well. I highly recommend giving them a try. I had to order from Amazon to try them, but I haven't had any trouble returning other IEMs that I tried out.

post #10401 of 19481

Has anybody noticed that the MircoSD card reader that comes bundled with the X5 has a very slow transfer speed?  I'm thinking about buying another reader, but want to make sure that they're not all as slow as the Fiio reader.

 

Thoughts!

post #10402 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba-ho-tep View Post

Has anybody noticed that the MircoSD card reader that comes bundled with the X5 has a very slow transfer speed?  I'm thinking about buying another reader, but want to make sure that they're not all as slow as the Fiio reader.

Thoughts!

Not what I experienced, as for USB 2.0 compatible readers it's about as fast as you gonna get. My meenova card reader is at the same speed, the only time I was able to get to a faster speed was with a USB 3.0 compatible reader on a USB 3.0 port and I got roughly 5 mb/s higher.
Edited by musicheaven - 6/13/14 at 9:22am
post #10403 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr1971 View Post
 

 

One thing to keep in mind if you haven't used the OTG yet, when you power off the X5 (or it auto powers off after timeout), the player does not resume playing from where it was when powered back on. It only does that with TF1 & 2. You have to renavigate back to the album/tracks & start again.

 

It gets a bit annoying, but you get used to it & adjust pretty quickly. Hopefully there will be a fw fix for it.

I see... what's the maximum capacity of USB flash drive you have used for X5 so far? do you think it affects battery life?

I don't really care about having to navigate again. It's completely ok with me. 

 

 

I read about USB card reader.. if possible, can I use another 256GB SD card with this usb card reader? 

I wonder which would be better. 256GB SD card with usb card reader? or 256GB USB flash drive? 


Edited by kawaivpc1 - 6/13/14 at 8:53am
post #10404 of 19481
Anyone tried a hub? If I remember well, my Samsung phone otg usb recognized the hub and more drives.
post #10405 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 

I see... what's the maximum capacity of USB flash drive you have used for X5 so far? do you think it affects battery life?

I don't really care about having to navigate again. It's completely ok with me. 

 

 

I read about USB card reader.. if possible, can I use another 256GB SD card with this usb card reader? 

I wonder which would be better. 256GB SD card with usb card reader? or 256GB USB flash drive? 

 

I have only used OTG with my Meenova reader with 32GB microSD card in it. I can't say 100%, but my guess is that it would be comparable to the power draw of a USB drive. I have found that the battery performance has been quite good with the Meenova so far. I haven't noticed a significant shortening of play time.

 

Unfortunately I haven't kept up with the larger USB drives or card readers, so I  can't say.

post #10406 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSquare View Post

Today i succeeded (no glory) to connect the X5 to an external HD and play from it. Just wanted to share my experience with you. 
I had a Cowon X7 that broke last year, but the 160go 1,8" HD was still intact. I removed it from the Cowon X7 and ordered an USB to ZIF (pata) tiny case to put the HD into it.After reformating it, every file i've put on it just played fine on the Fiio X5. The drive is detected, powered (I wonder how much it will lower the battery life) and fully available for the X5. 
The hard drive case is smaller than the X5 as you can see on the picture. Still very portable ! 
So if you have a 1,8" hd collecting dust (the drive in the cowon is the same as those into iPods classic), that's an idea to recycle it : ) 



Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

I might as well ask now:  Can an SSD work?  I would think they would use even less power since they have no moving parts and are very durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 
I might as well ask now:  Can an SSD work?  I would think they would use even less power since they have no moving parts and are very durable.
I have had a bad expérience with SSD . I have tried to connect a Crucial M500 SSD (which is 480 GB), in a USB3 case. I had formatted the SSD in fat32 in my desktop. As soon as I connect the SSD to the X5 through the OTG, the X5 repeatedly says "USB storage removed", while the SSD lights blink a few seconds. And no files are detected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

I might as well ask now:  Can an SSD work?  I would think they would use even less power since they have no moving parts and are very durable.
...Whereas I've had success with a Sandisk Ultra 128GB drive...

Wonder if the power draw of the 480GB is too much, whereas, the 128GB drive, with less chips to power, is acceptable?!?

With the SSDs (and any OTG storage connected to the X5 for that matter) it's not a matter of power draw, but of the particular controller chip used in the SSD. Unfortunately there's no rhyme nor rhythm to the controllers used by brands on their hard disks and we can't recommend any particular brand for surefire compatibility across their full range of products. You may shop for those particular products with which people here have had success with. Failing that, I do not recommend buying a USB storage product with the sole intent of using it with the X5 as it's hard to tell whether they will work properly together. Unfortunately this is a deficiency in the USB controller used in the X5 (although future firmware updates may improve compatibility) redface.gif
post #10407 of 19481
BTW, beta firmware version 2.02 has been released for the X5 smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722958/fiio-x5-beta-firmware-2-02-download-and-discussion-thread

(Please discuss issues with 2.02 in its dedicated thread)
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 6/13/14 at 11:09am
post #10408 of 19481

I understand. Then why can we use this thread to share our experiment with USB drives? so far, Kingston Data Traveler 128gb is confirmed to be working. 

I think Data Traveler 256GB will work as well.. but it's twice more expensive than PNY 256GB usb drive.

post #10409 of 19481
Those 90 bucks terrabyte usb powered drives look sweet smily_headphones1.gif
post #10410 of 19481
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaivpc1 View Post
 

I understand. Then why can we use this thread to share our experiment with USB drives? so far, Kingston Data Traveler 128gb is confirmed to be working. 

I think Data Traveler 256GB will work as well.. but it's twice more expensive than PNY 256GB usb drive.

I wouldn't assume that a 256 gb stick will work just because 128 gb from the same manufacturer works.  I have a 256 ssd in the same series as the 128 that Duncan used and my 256 gb is not working even though I tried the exact same external enclosure as he did witht eh 128gb.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread