Hello, I hope you will enjoy your purchase tomorrow. since X5 is not yet released commercially, it does not make sense to compare it on certain attributes such as design, size and stuff.
However if we down a notch to compare it with X3:
1. Design, Agree totally, the design of AK100 is more sleek
2. Size, X3 is bigger but it is not crazily big and will fit in most jeans/pants pocket.
3-4. X3 is still cheaper
5. I feel that even if it can be used as a DAC, the lack of Line Out and Optical Out will prevent you to connect to home equipments
6. My feeling to the modification on the market is a reminder of the design flaws in the product itself and the hefty cost. The upgrade to X3 I can think of right now is buying an external amp and better iem
7. X3 will be released next month
My experience with AK100 so far.
1. Bought immediately when my friend told me in a dinner party about a DAP that can support 24/192 FLAC
2. Felt that there is something missing with the sound quality
3. Searched on internet and stumbled upon head-fi and the discussion of RWAK
4. Found out the release of Ak120 to fix the problems of AK100...
5. Bought a portable amp but still not satisfied with the SQ, tried many different vol output
6. Bought Fiio E17 to improve SQ
7. Learnt about Fiio X3
and PROBLEM SOLVED!
Well, the size and design is pretty much set, from what I've heard. Anyways, I was considering X3, but I really didn't like the design and UI. Also, I heard the X3 gets warm after some use. I'm planning on using it with my leckerton, so as long as the DAC is good, it will probably sound really really good.