Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 - Page 55

post #811 of 13800

Although it's nice to have (e.g. HDP-R10), I really don't think DSD playback is a big deal.

 

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see DSD support on audiophile DAPs, but, f you're savvy enough to have DSD files, some of which may be downloads  (http://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads) but some of which will probably be SACD rips, then you're almost certainly going to be savvy enough to have the knowledge and means to simply convert them to PCM or even drop them down to .flac

 

 

 

Other discussion (not DAP specific)

 

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/dsd-streaming

 

 

 

.


Edited by Mython - 7/14/13 at 6:48am
post #812 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

A bit disappointed? How many digital audio player you know that supports DSD? How many of us need it?

 

I think apart from Japanese special HDP R10, nothing supports DSD and I see nobody crying around why there is no DSD.

 

The HDP-R10 does not support native DSD, it still has to convert into PCM.

 

But your question is very few. It would appear that the AK120 will be able to after the newest firmware is released. It is scheduled to release tomorrow (Monday, Jul 15), but I'm not holding my breath. 

 

Edit: the AK120 will meet the same requirements as the R10, meaning not native DSD will not be compatible. 


Edited by Greed - 7/14/13 at 10:03am
post #813 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

The HDP-R10 does not support native DSD, it still has to convert into PCM.

 

But your question is very few. It would appear that the AK120 will be able to after the newest firmware is released. It is scheduled to release tomorrow (Monday, Jul 15), but I'm not holding my breath. 

 

Edit: the AK120 will meet the same requirements as the R10, meaning not native DSD will not be compatible. 

So basicly there is no native dsd playing dap in the market but people still get disappointed when they don't see it in the FiiO X5. It is kinda ridiculous. 1300 € AK120 doesn't support natively, about half price of it HDP R10 doesn't support natively they are all normal but when 400 euros X5 doesn't support it it is disappointing. Let's face it, if there was a serious demand they would make it (do you really think iriver didn't consider that option) because it would provide profits. For the moment, pretty much nobody is crying for it and 24/192 provides all we need.

 

What we need instead of dsd? In my view, the battery life is important, capacity is important, flawless UI and easy user experience is important, nice sound quality is important. The price is questionable. I mean if it is worth, I would pay it but then who is deciding what is worth for what.

 

Just a quick example, in my view, the new priced Tera Player is not worth it. AK120 for 1300 euros is not worth it but in the states you buy it for 1300 dollars it can be a nice option. 200 euros for X3 is worth it for 200 bucks the features it provides is just enourmous. So everybody can make their own calculations and decisions.

post #814 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

A bit disappointed? How many digital audio player you know that supports DSD? How many of us need it?

 

I think apart from Japanese special HDP R10, nothing supports DSD and I see nobody crying around why there is no DSD.

I couldn't care less about DSD. Then again, I couldn't care less about anything beyond 16bit 44.1khz either. happy_face1.gif

post #815 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

So basicly there is no native dsd playing dap in the market but people still get disappointed when they don't see it in the FiiO X5. It is kinda ridiculous. 1300 € AK120 doesn't support natively, about half price of it HDP R10 doesn't support natively they are all normal but when 400 euros X5 doesn't support it it is disappointing. Let's face it, if there was a serious demand they would make it (do you really think iriver didn't consider that option) because it would provide profits. For the moment, pretty much nobody is crying for it and 24/192 provides all we need.

 

What we need instead of dsd? In my view, the battery life is important, capacity is important, flawless UI and easy user experience is important, nice sound quality is important. The price is questionable. I mean if it is worth, I would pay it but then who is deciding what is worth for what.

 

Just a quick example, in my view, the new priced Tera Player is not worth it. AK120 for 1300 euros is not worth it but in the states you buy it for 1300 dollars it can be a nice option. 200 euros for X3 is worth it for 200 bucks the features it provides is just enourmous. So everybody can make their own calculations and decisions.

 

IMO, DSD is a dying breed. It isn't very popular and relatively speaking never was. It would be nice to have the capabilities on a portable device, but is very low on the list of priorities for me. I agree with what is important to make a successful DAP (bolded text). The X3 seems like it is definitely worth the asking price. Unfortunately for me, the X3 is getting less and less desirable with each review that is released. Many of the outstanding features marketed are not functioning correctly and/or are limited to certain codecs/qualities. Like every DAP, the X3 will go through growing pains. I guess it is up to the consumer to decide if it is still worth it after considering all the bad thus far. 

post #816 of 13800

Korg has produced at least one portable DSD player/recorder, the MR-2, for a couple of years. It's a pretty niche product though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

So basicly there is no native dsd playing dap in the market but people still get disappointed when they don't see it in the FiiO X5. It is kinda ridiculous. 1300 € AK120 doesn't support natively, about half price of it HDP R10 doesn't support natively they are all normal but when 400 euros X5 doesn't support it it is disappointing. Let's face it, if there was a serious demand they would make it (do you really think iriver didn't consider that option) because it would provide profits. For the moment, pretty much nobody is crying for it and 24/192 provides all we need.

 

post #817 of 13800
subscribed smily_headphones1.gif
post #818 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I couldn't care less about DSD. Then again, I couldn't care less about anything beyond 16bit 44.1khz either. happy_face1.gif


+1 khz

post #819 of 13800

I'll wait for the X7.

 

Upgraded DAC (e.g. ES9018), increased S/PDIF I/O options, and a current driven BJT or JFET headphone output (e.g. AD844).  wink.gif

post #820 of 13800

Then you might also want to wait for X9 instead of buying X3 or X5 or X7. At the end you will die without a dap but waiting all your life.

 

Sorry, no offense, but that's how it looks like. Also I am not even sure FiiO is planning to make further than X5.

post #821 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Then you might also want to wait for X9 instead of buying X3 or X5 or X7. At the end you will die without a dap but waiting all your life.

 

Sorry, no offense, but that's how it looks like. Also I am not even sure FiiO is planning to make further than X5.

 

Amber, the FiiO fortune teller biggrin.gif

post #822 of 13800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Amber, the FiiO fortune teller biggrin.gif

I just guessed that's all happy_face1.gif Don't count on my words but waiting for a better dap coming in future is a good idea unless you don't know where to stop and buy. I just wanted to point out this.

 

If we didn't see that surprising video and some information about X5, we might not know about this dap for the moment most likely. That youtube video changed some things happy_face1.gif

post #823 of 13800
What is happening here is exactly why most companies DO NOT announce further units of the same series beforehand.

I doubt we will be told if an X6 or X7 will be released next time before the X5 releases.
post #824 of 13800

It's a toss up...they tell us and some will wait some wont, there is a significant price difference.

But on the other hand if they don't tell us some will buy the first one and be so pissed that they didn't know about the second one that they will bad talk the company for it and not buy again.

 

I would rather know about the releases and then decide where I want to job in.  It just like where/when do you decide to upgrade/buy a computer or phone.

 

I think it comes back to, "do you want it or not and how much do you want it or want to pay for it."  Personal choice is a wonderful thing...

post #825 of 13800

More like placing an order and hoping with fingers and toes crossed.  If you get far enough ahead of product development, they may actually stop and consider it for the next round.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014