Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 - Page 417

post #6241 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright00 View Post

Anyone know if I can just load my ITunes library onto a SD card and it will work, or not.
Didn’t get answer from previous post?

I did that and it worked. Note that album art from CD's I ripped to itunes do not show up as they are not embedded. But the music plays fine .

I did get a bit better UI going through and cleaning up some folders etc.
post #6242 of 13828
received mine about 8 minutes ago.

It feels solid, looks great, sounds fantastic.

Compared to the X3, music syncing is really fast!

button layout may take some time getting used to, i'll update to the latest FW before getting an opinion about that ;P
post #6243 of 13828

Would NTFS formatted cards be read faster than FAT32 formatted ones?

 

 

AFAIK Fat32 is only needed for firmware upgrades and that is going to be a rather rare event so it NTFS is better on the X5, then that's where I want to go.

post #6244 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCandel View Post
 

I also have 2 cards formatted in NTSF and already loaded music on it. I saw somewhere that NTSF will be supported as well.

I assume you mean NTFS? Or is this a new format?

post #6245 of 13828

I'm liking the X3 so much that I'm considering getting a X5 instead, wise choice?

post #6246 of 13828

Thanks Jess70, when you say cleaning  up was that using something like mediamonkey? 


Edited by Arcright00 - 4/7/14 at 8:51am
post #6247 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenook View Post
 

I assume you mean NTFS? Or is this a new format?

Oh my bad haha, yeah NTFS!

post #6248 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiserFS View Post
 

I'm liking the X3 so much that I'm considering getting a X5 instead, wise choice?

If you were any wiser you would not be human, you would be an owl.

post #6249 of 13828
Dumb question,
I'm thinking about getting an X5.
My question is:
Can I use the X5 as a USB to SPDIF converter?

Reason why I'm asking is occassionally I would want to play music off my computer and listen to it via my main DAC which has several digital inputs for my various digital componenets but my main DAC does not have a USB input port.
post #6250 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Pretty sure that's normal. XLD gives the ALAC file the .m4a extension, and they show up as very high bit rate AAC files if you look at the file properties in Finder. But irregardless, they are indeed ALAC.

 

Great. Thanks for the response. I was actually on Firmware 1.21Beta when I saw "AAC 96.0KHz/24Bits. I went back to Firmware 1.20, which is what the X5 came with, and those same songs are now showing up as "M4A 96.0KHZ/24Bits" which makes more sense to me. I think they sound a little better too which is weird. Maybe its a glitch with the 1.21 Firmware? Anyone else have their music as ALAC on the X5 or do most people use FLAC?


Edited by alwass89 - 4/7/14 at 10:19am
post #6251 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwass89 View Post
 

 

Great. Thanks for the response. Anyone else have their music as ALAC on the X5 or do most people use FLAC?

My X5 arrives today but, in anticipation, I ripped my music collection to ALAC just to keep compatibility with my iPod Classic which I'll give to my wife (assuming she wants it -- she's a real Luddite when it comes to things like this).

post #6252 of 13828
Turns out i was on the latest firmware.

Some things i noticed which are, to me, a bit counter-intuitive:

Main menu scrolling, when you scroll clockwise, the items appear counter-clockwise.

Back button is the top right button, while (to me) top left button would be more convenient.

Holding the volume buttons when locked, skips to next/previous, instead of lowering the volume.

Now i'm absolutely not saying this is wrong, because it's personal opinion. However, as i said before: it would be great if we could set up functions per key ourselves.

Now some positives:

I love the weight of this thing.
Bright and clear screen.
Sound quality (duh) I noticed it's more neutral than the X3, and with my Grado in ears, i have to get used to it, but with my PS1000, it's perfect sounding.
Speed : it took about 10 second to update the library with 83GB of music. Daymn.
Rubber case: that's a solid chunk of rubber encasing a solid chunk of metal, feels high quality.


I don't think i'll ever regret buying this.
post #6253 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Turns out i was on the latest firmware.

Some things i noticed which are, to me, a bit counter-intuitive:

Main menu scrolling, when you scroll clockwise, the items appear counter-clockwise.

Back button is the top right button, while (to me) top left button would be more convenient.

Holding the volume buttons when locked, skips to next/previous, instead of lowering the volume.

Now i'm absolutely not saying this is wrong, because it's personal opinion. However, as i said before: it would be great if we could set up functions per key ourselves.

Now some positives:

I love the weight of this thing.
Bright and clear screen.
Sound quality (duh) I noticed it's more neutral than the X3, and with my Grado in ears, i have to get used to it, but with my PS1000, it's perfect sounding.
Speed : it took about 10 second to update the library with 83GB of music. Daymn.
Rubber case: that's a solid chunk of rubber encasing a solid chunk of metal, feels high quality.


I don't think i'll ever regret buying this.

Same to me, the X5's detail is increadible

post #6254 of 13828
I'm currently using a diymod as my dap & have had my eye on the X5 since I first heard about it. Anyone any sense - or better still, experience - as to whether it's likely to offer a sonic upgrade over the diymod?
post #6255 of 13828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright00 View Post

Thanks Jess70, when you say cleaning  up was that using something like mediamonkey? 

No , I just went through and re-organized manually because iTunes had some empty folders and would put in folders according to composer which doesn't work for folder browsing when an album has the same performers but different composers. IE: neil young decade album has some Neil Young solo, some with Crazy Horse some with CSNY and some with Buffalo Springfield . I want them all in one folder under Neil Young instead of 4 separate folders for the same album.

In the few cases where I have 6-7 song from 4-5 different albums of the same artist I delete the album folder so all songs are under the artist only folder. That makes it easy to play all the songs as a group.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014