Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 - Page 816

post #12226 of 12231
Hello
Now I'm a happy owner of a winning team : FilO X5 and E12 (would have liked to test the DIY, but it's not sold in France) smily_headphones1.gif
I'd like to compare the E12 with my Micromega Myzik headphone amp. It has a RCA input.
How should I connect the X5 :
- line out, jack to RCA ?
- is there a way to use the coaxial out ?
post #12227 of 12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by XP_98 View Post

Hello
Now I'm a happy owner of a winning team : FilO X5 and E12 (would have liked to test the DIY, but it's not sold in France) smily_headphones1.gif
I'd like to compare the E12 with my Micromega Myzik headphone amp. It has a RCA input.
How should I connect the X5 :
- line out, jack to RCA ?
- is there a way to use the coaxial out ?

 

1. Use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter

2. Coaxial out of the X5 goes to the coaxial in of the other device; use the adapter provided in the packaging and any other cable needed. It will be good to tell us which device are you using. (Your Micromega Myzic does not allow coaxial in; devices that allow that usually have something like a DAC to convert all that digital signals that the coaxial gives out)


Edited by darkarn - Yesterday at 11:51 pm
post #12228 of 12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp9433 View Post
 

FlatListener

 

So you are saying you would never listen to your X5 with a PC as your server? I do it regularly in bed because it gives me better SQ. Not in the office because fidelizer 6 cuts out the internet when I am trying to work. Nevertheless, the SQ from the X5 using CD quality material is really excellent for the price.

 

As mentioned elsewhere, you could easily use hi-res music files up to 192 kHz, but you would probably need to carry a number of extra miniSD cards filled with music to have a big enough portable library available. So you could use hi-res files, however, I cannot comment on SQ from higher-resolution than CD quality files, as I don't own any.

 

Not heard the X3, but those who have compared seem to genuinely prefer the X5 for SQ.

 

The DT-1350's are good for true portable use (walking around). Certainly no separate amp necessary. Most of my "private" listening at home though (office/bed) is through AKG K701 cans, which give surprising good sound using Fiio X5 and E18 - better than with the likes of the DT-1350. Etymotic ER4P's when I don't want to annoy anybody else, or when I want to keep the outside world out.

 

I have tried Audeze, HiFi Man, and other cans with the X5 and E18 and found each of them to be only slightly better than the K701. But I think the X5/E18 was being stretched and not getting the absolute best out of the harder-to-drive headphones. So while waiting for the likes of the Fiio X7 I will stay with the K701's and then trial better headphones again.

 

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes that is correct I hardly ever listen to my headphones from a computer source. But when I did occasionally, I noticed that the sound quality coming from my Macbook is better than from my bare iPod Classic or iPhone4s. So that is why I got the E12 Mont Blanc to use with my iPod Classic. But the E12 is a lot of size and weight to carry around while on a train or walking around. I like the player to be in my chest pocket for quick access. Not comfortable with the E12 tied to the iPod (too heavy). That is why I like the idea of having a single device with excellent sound quality.

I bought the 1350s mostly for their isolation capabilities. On commuter trains, there is a lot of noise from other people talking and of course the train itself produces noise. The 1350s offer a combination of good isolation and reasonable sound quality. I would have liked to have some better SQ but at that time I didn't find any. I have some slight hearing damage, not from music listening, so I want to control my listening volume in a way that I can enjoy the music, but avoid further damage. It's pretty difficult because I really like music and when I hear something I like I'm tempted to turn the volume up. That is why I'm interested in having a player that can satisfy musically without the need to play loud. Along with the "single device" requirement, this is the reason I'm looking into other-than-iPod players. It appears as though the X5 and X3 may deliver on both.

post #12229 of 12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatListener View Post
 

Hi Frank,

Yes that is correct I hardly ever listen to my headphones from a computer source. But when I did occasionally, I noticed that the sound quality coming from my Macbook is better than from my bare iPod Classic or iPhone4s. So that is why I got the E12 Mont Blanc to use with my iPod Classic. But the E12 is a lot of size and weight to carry around while on a train or walking around. I like the player to be in my chest pocket for quick access. Not comfortable with the E12 tied to the iPod (too heavy). That is why I like the idea of having a single device with excellent sound quality.

I bought the 1350s mostly for their isolation capabilities. On commuter trains, there is a lot of noise from other people talking and of course the train itself produces noise. The 1350s offer a combination of good isolation and reasonable sound quality. I would have liked to have some better SQ but at that time I didn't find any. I have some slight hearing damage, not from music listening, so I want to control my listening volume in a way that I can enjoy the music, but avoid further damage. It's pretty difficult because I really like music and when I hear something I like I'm tempted to turn the volume up. That is why I'm interested in having a player that can satisfy musically without the need to play loud. Along with the "single device" requirement, this is the reason I'm looking into other-than-iPod players. It appears as though the X5 and X3 may deliver on both.


X3 or X5 should both suit your needs. The X5 is better in terms of usability and SQ, but the X3 is smaller lighter and cheaper.

By far the most important link in the chain is your choice of headphones. For your commute and pretty much anywhere on the go these days, isolation is the top requirement, so that you can listen to your music at comfortable levels and enjoy the quiet passages.

Have you cosidered IEMs?

xp9433 spoke of his Etymotic ER4Ps, which offer superb isolation for a universal IEM, but for the ultimate comfort and isolation, nothing beats a good pair of silicone custom fit IEMs.

post #12230 of 12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi2 View Post
 


X3 or X5 should both suit your needs. The X5 is better in terms of usability and SQ, but the X3 is smaller lighter and cheaper.

By far the most important link in the chain is your choice of headphones. For your commute and pretty much anywhere on the go these days, isolation is the top requirement, so that you can listen to your music at comfortable levels and enjoy the quiet passages.

Have you cosidered IEMs?

xp9433 spoke of his Etymotic ER4Ps, which offer superb isolation for a universal IEM, but for the ultimate comfort and isolation, nothing beats a good pair of silicone custom fit IEMs.

Thank you! Actually I never tried IEMs because I figured no good sound could come from something that small. Also, it scares me a bit for my hearing damage. But these may well be nonsense arguments coming from ignorance. If you say I should look into it, I will do so.

post #12231 of 12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatListener View Post
 

Thank you! Actually I never tried IEMs because I figured no good sound could come from something that small. Also, it scares me a bit for my hearing damage. But these may well be nonsense arguments coming from ignorance. If you say I should look into it, I will do so.


When you consider that many IEMs have been developed from hearing protection companies (Etymotic Research again being a good example) it should help allay those fears.They are basically hearing defenders with drivers built in and you are helping to protect your hearing by listening at lower levels without the need to turn up the volume to block out the outside world.

As for no "good sound coming from something that small" - be prepared to be completely blown away...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014