Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 - Page 793

post #11881 of 12518

I've got a quick question about headphones and the X5.

 

I use a pair of Koss KSC75 headphones for portable listening with my X5, which have an impedance of 60 ohms. For home listening, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598's with impedance of 50 ohms, with the OEM Sennheiser 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter cable that I bought to connect to the X5. However, I notice that the Koss headphones even though they are much smaller, seem to get much louder when amped directly by the X5 than the Sennheiser ones do. Is it possible that the adapter cable I'm using is adding impedance and in turn making the HD598's harder to drive? It doesn't seem like the adapter would add enough to make a difference but I don't quite understand how my Koss phones are so much louder than the HD598's right now. Thanks for the help!

post #11882 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Last.fm isn't a streaming service?

last.fm is a way to keep track of what you play, and how many times you've played it.

You got it all wrong.

In that case, it has even less relevance to the X5.

post #11883 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post

In that case, it has even less relevance to the X5.

Could you explain the reasoning why a device made to play your music files isn't relevant to playcount tracking?
Edited by CH23 - 8/18/14 at 9:44am
post #11884 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


Could you explain the reasoning why a device made to play your music files isn't relevant to playcount tracking?

My understanding is that the X5 does track playcount.  What has that to do with a third-party internet service?

post #11885 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
 

I've got a quick question about headphones and the X5.

 

I use a pair of Koss KSC75 headphones for portable listening with my X5, which have an impedance of 60 ohms. For home listening, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598's with impedance of 50 ohms, with the OEM Sennheiser 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter cable that I bought to connect to the X5. However, I notice that the Koss headphones even though they are much smaller, seem to get much louder when amped directly by the X5 than the Sennheiser ones do. Is it possible that the adapter cable I'm using is adding impedance and in turn making the HD598's harder to drive? It doesn't seem like the adapter would add enough to make a difference but I don't quite understand how my Koss phones are so much louder than the HD598's right now. Thanks for the help!

Impedance isn't the only factor in volume, you also need to consider the sensitivity of the drivers and the output specs of the amp. 

 

I'm not sure of the science behind it but a very simplified version is that a higher impedance driver is easier to drive (assuming the amp is up to the task) as the higher impedance draws more current from the amplifier and current = volume (sensitivity is measured in decibels per miliwatt) 

 

My 90 ohm Tzar IEMs are the loudest I own while the 16 ohm HA-FXZ200 are probably the quietest so if both sound good you have nothing to worry about.  Just but be careful not to deafen yourself when you switch between them!

post #11886 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post

My understanding is that the X5 does track playcount.  What has that to do with a third-party internet service?

Last.fm is a way to keep track of what you played, and right now you can't "scrobble" from the X5.

"Scrobbling" is when you sync the playcount to last.fm. This can be done through the computer, but for this, the X5 must have a file which has kept track of what you've played, and how many times.

Right now the X5 doesn't have this file, and i believe it doesn't have play count at all.
post #11887 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 

Impedance isn't the only factor in volume, you also need to consider the sensitivity of the drivers and the output specs of the amp. 

 

I'm not sure of the science behind it but a very simplified version is that a higher impedance driver is easier to drive (assuming the amp is up to the task) as the higher impedance draws more current from the amplifier and current = volume (sensitivity is measured in decibels per miliwatt) 

 

My 90 ohm Tzar IEMs are the loudest I own while the 16 ohm HA-FXZ200 are probably the quietest so if both sound good you have nothing to worry about.  Just but be careful not to deafen yourself when you switch between them!

Hi SO - With respect, not sure about that.  As impedance goes up, the vector-summation of capacitive and inductive reactance goes up as well, current goes down, and the device becomes more of a voltage-operated device.

 

Thanks,

 

Steve

post #11888 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemitchell View Post
 

Hi SO - With respect, not sure about that.  As impedance goes up, the vector-summation of capacitive and inductive reactance goes up as well, current goes down, and the device becomes more of a voltage-operated device.

 

Thanks,

 

Steve

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 

Impedance isn't the only factor in volume, you also need to consider the sensitivity of the drivers and the output specs of the amp. 

 

I'm not sure of the science behind it but a very simplified version is that a higher impedance driver is easier to drive (assuming the amp is up to the task) as the higher impedance draws more current from the amplifier and current = volume (sensitivity is measured in decibels per miliwatt) 

 

My 90 ohm Tzar IEMs are the loudest I own while the 16 ohm HA-FXZ200 are probably the quietest so if both sound good you have nothing to worry about.  Just but be careful not to deafen yourself when you switch between them!

 

My main issue is that nearly every source says that the Sennheiser HD598's are very easy to drive, and it just doesn't make much sense to me that the Koss's would get so much louder. I was planning on buying the Fiio replacement cable for the HD598's that has a 3.5mm terminator instead so I might see if that makes any difference.

post #11889 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


Last.fm is a way to keep track of what you played, and right now you can't "scrobble" from the X5.

"Scrobbling" is when you sync the playcount to last.fm. This can be done through the computer, but for this, the X5 must have a file which has kept track of what you've played, and how many times.

Right now the X5 doesn't have this file, and i believe it doesn't have play count at all.

I understand what last.fm is, and I understand that the X5 does support any kind of interface to it.  I also understand what scrobbling.  I still don't understand why anyone would expect a high-end DAP to have this kind of support for third-party websites.  Again, this kind of feature may be important to some, but I'd be very surprised if it was important to most X5 users.  Of course, my opinion is just that -- my opinion.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm quite sure that Fiio does extensive research before committing to the expense of R&D, engineering and marketing a new product.  Clearly, Fiio didn't consider this feature to be important.  I'm sure that I'm not the only X5 owner who would prefer to see the existing features tweaked (particularly the ones involving tagging and searching via tags) before something like this is added.

 

Out of my own personal curiosity, why is this feature important to you?  How does having a running count of what you've heard, and how many times you've hear it, improve the music listening experience for you?  I ask because I can't imagine what I would do with this information if I had it.  Now, I don't pretend to be the typical X5 purchaser, but I at least understand the value of other features that have been requested.  This one baffles me.

post #11890 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post

I understand what last.fm is, and I understand that the X5 does support any kind of interface to it.  I also understand what scrobbling.  I still don't understand why anyone would expect a high-end DAP to have this kind of support for third-party websites.  Again, this kind of feature may be important to some, but I'd be very surprised if it was important to most X5 users.  Of course, my opinion is just that -- my opinion.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm quite sure that Fiio does extensive research before committing to the expense of R&D, engineering and marketing a new product.  Clearly, Fiio didn't consider this feature to be important.  I'm sure that I'm not the only X5 owner who would prefer to see the existing features tweaked (particularly the ones involving tagging and searching via tags) before something like this is added.

Out of my own personal curiosity, why is this feature important to you?  How does having a running count of what you've heard, and how many times you've hear it, improve the music listening experience for you?  I ask because I can't imagine what I would do with this information if I had it.  Now, I don't pretend to be the typical X5 purchaser, but I at least understand the value of other features that have been requested.  This one baffles me.

I agree, as long as there aren't enough people requesting such a feature, FiiO has no reason to even consider adding it.

There are a number of things that require fixing, such as the album art displaying, tagging, playlist support, file limit...

It's important to me, well, "important" because i like to know what songs i play a lot, and which artists i come back to constantly, and which tracks i never play at all.
I believe the last.fm thing can already function if a playcount tag would be used on the X5, i'm not sure about this though.

(3rd time trying to post this, head-fi's last maintenance seems to give a "russian roulette" -style SUBMIT button)
post #11891 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptravel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


Last.fm is a way to keep track of what you played, and right now you can't "scrobble" from the X5.

"Scrobbling" is when you sync the playcount to last.fm. This can be done through the computer, but for this, the X5 must have a file which has kept track of what you've played, and how many times.

Right now the X5 doesn't have this file, and i believe it doesn't have play count at all.

I understand what last.fm is, and I understand that the X5 does support any kind of interface to it.  I also understand what scrobbling.  I still don't understand why anyone would expect a high-end DAP to have this kind of support for third-party websites.  Again, this kind of feature may be important to some, but I'd be very surprised if it was important to most X5 users.  Of course, my opinion is just that -- my opinion.  However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm quite sure that Fiio does extensive research before committing to the expense of R&D, engineering and marketing a new product.  Clearly, Fiio didn't consider this feature to be important.  I'm sure that I'm not the only X5 owner who would prefer to see the existing features tweaked (particularly the ones involving tagging and searching via tags) before something like this is added.

 

Out of my own personal curiosity, why is this feature important to you?  How does having a running count of what you've heard, and how many times you've hear it, improve the music listening experience for you?  I ask because I can't imagine what I would do with this information if I had it.  Now, I don't pretend to be the typical X5 purchaser, but I at least understand the value of other features that have been requested.  This one baffles me.

There may be a few other things you will encounter that may baffle you, but fear not.

I have over a million scrobbles on Last.FM and many came from my various ipods. (account aangen and aangen2) Apple iPods track what you play and it was VERY SIMPLE to allow that info to be shared with Last.FM. (in either stock form or Rockboxed) iTunes also uses this information so you can see what you have listened to and how often. You can also see what you have not listened to as well. It doesn't matter to me if you think this is worthwhile or not, I think it would be an easy and nice add. In the beginning Fiio (whom I adore) thought that Replay Gain was an mp3 feature and expressed no interest in it. Once people learn about what is being discussed things change. My opinion is that China is Fiios largest market and that is where most of their research is done so I disagree with your assumption of extensive R&D in the good old USA. 

 

I don't use my iPods anymore as I happily just use my X3 and X5 players. I don't prefer Apple over Fiio so don't get that impression. If you don't know what Last.FM is or don't care to find out that is perfectly fine. Maybe you could stop talking about it here though just to allow those who do know and care about it some slack. We'll try not to find fault or minimize the things you think are important. It isn't a big deal, and certainly not worth anymore of your time.


Edited by aangen - 8/18/14 at 1:47pm
post #11892 of 12518
But is it more important than the things you have listed as need fixing?
No
post #11893 of 12518

The most important thing is the 5800 file "limit". And that hasn't been addressed yet. 

(and I don't actually care if the Last.FM stuff ever gets added, I just want to stop reading posts from people who are offended that someone wants it)


Edited by aangen - 8/18/14 at 1:33pm
post #11894 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi2 View Post

But is it more important than the things you have listed as need fixing?
No

No one ever said it was. As Aangen said: (i couldn't say it better so i quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

The most important thing is the 5800 file "limit". And that hasn't been addressed yet. 
(and I don't actually care if the Last.FM stuff ever gets added, I just want to stop reading posts from people who are offended that someone wants it)
post #11895 of 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post
 

There may be a few other things you will encounter that may baffle you, but fear not.

I have over a million scrobbles on Last.FM and many came from my various ipods. (account aangen and aangen2) Apple iPods track what you play and it was VERY SIMPLE to allow that info to be shared with Last.FM. (in either stock form or Rockboxed) iTunes also uses this information so you can see what you have listened to and how often. You can also see what you have not listened to as well. It doesn't matter to me if you think this is worthwhile or not, I think it would be an easy and nice add. In the beginning Fiio (whom I adore) thought that Replay Gain was an mp3 feature and expressed no interest in it. Once people learn about what is being discussed things change. My opinion is that China is Fiios largest market and that is where most of their research is done so I disagree with your assumption of extensive R&D in the good old USA. 

 

I don't use my iPods anymore as I happily just use my X3 and X5 players. I don't prefer Apple over Fiio so don't get that impression. If you don't know what Last.FM is or don't care to find out that is perfectly fine. Maybe you could stop talking about it here though just to allow those who do know and care about it some slack. We'll try not to find fault or minimize the things you think are important. It isn't a big deal, and certainly not worth anymore of your time.

As I said in my post that you quoted, I know what last.fm is.  What I asked, and you haven't bothered to answer, is why knowing what you've listened to and how many times you've listened to it is, in your view, an important feature.  As I also said in my post that you quoted, my opinion is just that -- my opinion.  At least I can explain the basis for my opinion, and do so without being insulting or patronizing.
 

Fiio is well aware of where it markets and to whom.  China may or may not be its primary market.  Regardless, it markets internationally and certainly considers what the international market wants.  I never said that Fiio does R&D in the US.  In fact, I don't think you know what R&D means -- it stands for "research and development" and is part of the engineering process, and does not include market research.

 

So, what I take from your post is that scrobbles are important to some people because they are.  And at least some of those people are simply rude.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014