Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan - Page 18

post #256 of 377

By the way, MohawkUS...I wouldn't be getting the edition 12s if it weren't for your review....if I don't like them, there is gonna be some hell to pay, hahahah!!!

post #257 of 377
Oh, no problem. I'll buy them for 250 $. Most people here stated that they're worthless anyway........
post #258 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Oh, no problem. I'll buy them for 250 $. Most people here stated that they're worthless anyway........

you exude kindness...the Mother Theresa of headfiers!!!

post #259 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

By the way, MohawkUS...I wouldn't be getting the edition 12s if it weren't for your review....if I don't like them, there is gonna be some hell to pay, hahahah!!!

lol. I can't really advise you as to which amp will sound best. Right now I'm using some vintage amplifiers which I know are restricting these headphones pretty badly(as I've said, even the single op-amp amplifier tacked on to my old CD player sounds better) and seeing as I've put all my cash into bitcoin, I'm counting on you to give me some guidance amp wise. very_evil_smiley.gif Going to be broke until sometime in February, and I do still plan on doing a final review on these once I've got a modern amplifier. I'd appreciate it if you would try the Decware just so I can see if I should count tubes off or not.

What surprises me though is that while the two vintage amps I have sound completely different(one sounds like the stereotypical tube amp whilst the other is the stereotype SS amp despite both being SS designs) I find that they both sound pretty good. Oddly enough I distinctly prefer the tubbier one with my records; and the SS one with my digital. What makes it all the more confusing is that I put together my system as to make all my sources have the same sound signature. If anything, the analog system sounds a bit thicker, so why it matches well with that amplifier I'm uncertain. I think it might be a matter of weaknesses, the tubey sounding amp is a little harsh, whilst the SS one suffers from a lack of bass.

I may just have to get a modern SS amp to see how the different eras compare. The one Sherwood is the first solid-state receiver ever sold, the second is the first made overseas, and the amp in the CD player is just a simple mid 80s op-amp solution. The last is the best by far, if I could get that sound in a desktop amp I'd be extremely happy.

And these headphones are really good for opera, not a genre I ever listened to before, but these do it so well that I think I'm going to have to start. That and organ music. These headphones really do add a pyhsical aspect to the bass without the bass becoming overwhelming(I generally have stuck to bass light headphones in the past, I hate emphasized bass.) I even gave myself a scare one night when I was half asleep, I was watching a youtube video and a plane flew real low over the house of the guy recording. I thought for a second it was going to hit my house. basshead.gif
Edited by MohawkUS - 11/23/13 at 6:38pm
post #260 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohawkUS View Post


lol. I can't really advise you as to which amp will sound best. Right now I'm using some vintage amplifiers which I know are restricting these headphones pretty badly(as I've said, even the single op-amp amplifier tacked on to my old CD player sounds better) and seeing as I've put all my cash into bitcoin, I'm counting on you to give me some guidance amp wise. very_evil_smiley.gif Going to be broke until sometime in February, and I do still plan on doing a final review on these once I've got a modern amplifier. I'd appreciate it if you would try the Decware just so I can see if I should count tubes off or not.

What surprises me though is that while the two vintage amps I have sound completely different(one sounds like the stereotypical tube amp whilst the other is the stereotype SS amp despite both being SS designs) I find that they both sound pretty good. Oddly enough I distinctly prefer the tubbier one with my records; and the SS one with my digital. What makes it all the more confusing is that I put together my system as to make all my sources have the same sound signature. If anything, the analog system sounds a bit thicker, so why it matches well with that amplifier I'm uncertain. I think it might be a matter of weaknesses, the tubey sounding amp is a little harsh, whilst the SS one suffers from a lack of bass.

I may just have to get a modern SS amp to see how the different eras compare. The one Sherwood is the first solid-state receiver ever sold, the second is the first made overseas, and the amp in the CD player is just a simple mid 80s op-amp solution. The last is the best by far, if I could get that sound in a desktop amp I'd be extremely happy.

And these headphones are really good for opera, not a genre I ever listened to before, but these do it so well that I think I'm going to have to start. That and organ music. These headphones really do add a pyhsical aspect to the bass without the bass becoming overwhelming(I generally have stuck to bass light headphones in the past, I hate emphasized bass.) I even gave myself a scare one night when I was half asleep, I was watching a youtube video and a plane flew real low over the house of the guy recording. I thought for a second it was going to hit my house. basshead.gif

All I can say is that it's gonna be a long night on Monday...and likely the rest of the week as I have plenty of amps to try the big unknown (Edition 12s) with.  We'll see how it goes.

post #261 of 377

@ figaro69 enjoy your new hp's, PS1000 and all.  Nevermind what the status quo thinks,  most negative opinions on a certain hp stem only from a few opinions.  Most headfiers that knock a hp for this or that have yet to even hear it.

 

The ED 12 have gotten some real favourable reviews,  but I'm sure you know that already.  Be proud that you are in a niche within a niche.

Let your ears decide and only your ears.  Enjoy :beerchug:

post #262 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil View Post
 

@ figaro69 enjoy your new hp's, PS1000 and all.  Nevermind what the status quo thinks,  most negative opinions on a certain hp stem only from a few opinions.  Most headfiers that knock a hp for this or that have yet to even hear it.

 

The ED 12 have gotten some real favourable reviews,  but I'm sure you know that already.  Be proud that you are in a niche within a niche.

Let your ears decide and only your ears.  Enjoy :beerchug:

Thanks for the support.  I like the Ultrasone Edition 8s even though I prefer the Beyer t5ps as a portable.  That is my only experience with Ultrasones.  I don't really know what to expect from the Edition 12s...maybe larger soundstage than the Ed 8s?  I just hope that they are not grating or sibilant.  If they sound like a poor man's HD800, then I'm returning them, since I already have those.

post #263 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

All I can say is that it's gonna be a long night on Monday...and likely the rest of the week as I have plenty of amps to try the big unknown (Edition 12s) with.  We'll see how it goes.

I believe ED12 are one of the greatest headphones ever. I've only auditioned ED10 once and I loved them for so many things - great sounding vocals, beautiful timbre, 3D sound-stage.

If ED12 are even better and at a lower price, I might consider getting them eventually, maybe second-hand as the price is a bit prohibitive for me at the moment. 

 

Please do let us know about your impressions of ED12!

post #264 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post
 

I believe ED12 are one of the greatest headphones ever.

I'm confused, you haven't heard them yet?

post #265 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post
 

I'm confused, you haven't heard them yet?

+1

post #266 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post
 

I'm confused, you haven't heard them yet?

I haven't heard ED12, but I've heard ED10. The reports say that ED12 improved many things from ED10 so I assume that must be really great headphones, especially that I've already liked ED10 very much.

I realize this is just my hope - this is why I wrote "I believe...":-)

post #267 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post
 

I haven't heard ED12, but I've heard ED10. The reports say that ED12 improved many things from ED10 so I assume that must be really great headphones, especially that I've already liked ED10 very much.

I realize this is just my hope - this is why I wrote "I believe...":-)

 

 

actually, have THEY heard ed12?

post #268 of 377

I've heard the ed12 a few minutes. And the only thing i can conclude is that I REALLY want more time with this headphone. I felt this ed12 sounds very refined, detailed and smoother/softer than my HD800. I love the fit and the comfort too. 

post #269 of 377
I feel sorry for our wallets again....
post #270 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

I feel sorry for our wallets again....

If ED12 is that good, the 'sorry feeling' will be well justified at least;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan