I've done a bit of research and read up on a lot of older threads but still haven't quite found the answer so I'm turning to you guys/gals for some help. I'm looking to spend around $300-$400 for a used pair of headphones. Thanks in advance!
I've previously owned the Edition 8 and I loved everything about them minus the price. I was babying it too much to truly enjoy it as a portable headphone. In short, the following are what I am looking for.
1. Portable and no amp needed.
2. Size: I want something similar to this size, which is what I can't seem to find. So I am willing to ignore this as long as it's not excessively large.
3. Closed back.
4. Brighter/warmer sound signature.
5. Tight clamp but not too tight. (I currently have the T70 and they slide a bit when I tilt my head up/down.)
6. Isolation/no leak: I just need decent isolation and for it to not leak. I don't listen on high volume so any close back should fit this category. However, I feel like my T70 do not give enough isolation. When I have it on low volume, I can still hear what's going on around me. It almost feels like it's a semi open back headphone. I believe it's due to the weak clamp.
7. Must be over/around the ear. No on ear headphones please.
8. Detachable cable is a plus but not necessary.
9. I prefer not to have a 10 feet long cable but I can manage it if everything else about the headphone is what I want.
10. Decent soundstage
Previous/Other headphones for reference.
Denon D5000: I've previously owned the D5000 and that mid bass was just way too much for my liking. I looked up multiple threads on the new D600 and it still doesn't sound like it will be my cup of tea. The mid bass is still there and a very weak clamp.
AKG K550: I've previously owned the K550 and I quite liked that. Only problem was that it wasn't the most comfortable and I didn't want to use it for more than 2 hours max. I've had the K272 and Q701 before also and I quite like the AKG sound.
Sennheiser Momentum: I've read a bit on it and I think the sound might be too dark for my liking. I've previously owned the HD650 and I did not like the sound, although I did not give it a chance to burn in. Another con to momentum (at least in my eyes) is that it is not very pleasing to the eyes.
Ultrasone Edition 8 & Sig pro: These seem like what I want, but I want to keep it closer to $300 mark. I want to be able to enjoy my headphones without babying it all the time. Also, the Edition 8 was too flashy for my liking to use in public.
Beyerdynamic T70: I currently have these and like them overall but with a few irking attributes. Clamp isn't tight enough and it doesn't stay on my head as securely as I want it to. The cable it so long that it's a hassle at times. It is bulking and takes up quite a bit of space in my bag.
Edited by mc21 - 4/25/13 at 1:43pm