Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond - Page 7

post #91 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

Gabon ebony!

 

I was thinking this quite a while ago, on this amp particularly.

post #92 of 192
Spritzer, does your L -2 have a single ended output?
post #93 of 192

Every L-2 has a single ended output.  The DSHA-1 is balanced

post #94 of 192
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Jester View Post

I fear I may have found another amp for my collection. So the L-2 pairs well with the TH900?

Edit: I should elaborate. I was previously looking at the ZDSE, will the L-2 pair as well with the TH900?

I owned the two amps at different times, but the ZDSE with similar headphones was always lusher in its presentation than the L-2 is.  Not to Woo or even DNA levels, but its definitely there.  L-2 is less so.  Personally, if I were looking for an amp for the TH900, it would not be something on the lusher side.  The TH900 is itself already very "lush" or "euphonic" (or however you want to spin it) and I would not compound that.  The L-2 is quick and has great extension - the TH900 will not plod along with this amp like some tube amps.

 

There is at least one member who bought this amp specifically for their TH900, but I would not go around making the pairing a meme or mantra just yet.  You need at least two or three posters to regularly plug their pairing and shoehorn it into every possible conversation to make that happen.

post #95 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

I owned the two amps at different times, but the ZDSE with similar headphones was always lusher in its presentation than the L-2 is.  Not to Woo or even DNA levels, but its definitely there.  L-2 is less so.  Personally, if I were looking for an amp for the TH900, it would not be something on the lusher side.  The TH900 is itself already very "lush" or "euphonic" (or however you want to spin it) and I would not compound that.  The L-2 is quick and has great extension - the TH900 will not plod along with this amp like some tube amps.

 

There is at least one member who bought this amp specifically for their TH900, but I would not go around making the pairing a meme or mantra just yet.  You need at least two or three posters to regularly plug their pairing and shoehorn it into every possible conversation to make that happen.

 

How do the L-2 compare with the Stratus in the soundstage and imaging department?

post #96 of 192
Thread Starter 

The Stratus remains on my bucket list and I do periodically have dirty thoughts about it.  I did have a Sonett but that wouldn't address your question as I assume the Stratus with DHT's has opened up the soundstage over the Sonnett so I wouldn't feel comfortable making any leaps or generalizations from one amp to another.  To compare to an amp that is often compared to the Stratus, the BA does have a wider soundstage than the L-2 while the L-2 has more immediacy and presence (which is usually a strength of SET amps in my experience, but I think the BA's heater is like a third eye.)  Imaging is excellent with the L-2, and after months of listening I'd put it on par with any dynamic amp I've heard (which does not include the Stratus.)   


Edited by Radio_head - 8/27/13 at 7:42am
post #97 of 192

Thanks for your honest feedback. As you have the Sonett it would be great if you could compare it to the L-2 for a reference.

post #98 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

Every L-2 has a single ended output.  The DSHA-1 is balanced

Ahh, i see. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

I owned the two amps at different times, but the ZDSE with similar headphones was always lusher in its presentation than the L-2 is.  Not to Woo or even DNA levels, but its definitely there.  L-2 is less so.  Personally, if I were looking for an amp for the TH900, it would not be something on the lusher side.  The TH900 is itself already very "lush" or "euphonic" (or however you want to spin it) and I would not compound that.  The L-2 is quick and has great extension - the TH900 will not plod along with this amp like some tube amps.

There is at least one member who bought this amp specifically for their TH900, but I would not go around making the pairing a meme or mantra just yet.  You need at least two or three posters to regularly plug their pairing and shoehorn it into every possible conversation to make that happen.
Thanks for the honest response Radio Head, I have been looking for an amp that will pair nicely with the TH900 and the HD800...it looks like I might have found it.
post #99 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

The Stratus remains on my bucket list and I do periodically have dirty thoughts about it.  I did have a Sonett but that wouldn't address your question as I assume the Stratus with DHT's has opened up the soundstage over the Sonnett so I wouldn't feel comfortable making any leaps or generalizations from one amp to another.  To compare to an amp that is often compared to the Stratus, the BA does have a wider soundstage than the L-2 while the L-2 has more immediacy and presence (which is usually a strength of SET amps in my experience, but I think the BA's heater is like a third eye.)  Imaging is excellent with the L-2, and after months of listening I'd put it on par with any dynamic amp I've heard (which does not include the Stratus.)   

Remember, those tubes can get quite hot. tongue.gif

post #100 of 192
Is DHSA-1 still available? Cuz from the website it said sold out already.
post #101 of 192

Doug has said that the DSHA-1 is sold out.  Unless he makes another run, my guess is that your only option is used, or one of his other great amps.

post #102 of 192

After reading through all the rave about the L-2, how it is a terrific amp according to Birgir (a.k.a. Spritzer, who seems to have a very high standard of headphone amping), and how the HD800 slayed the LCD-3 and even the Abyss when paired with the L-2 (according to Tyll of Innerfidelity), I decided to contact Doug and see if his amp could remedy my love-and-hate HD800... only to find out that the L-2 is also sold out! :(

 

I don't know if there will be another production run, but if not, then I guess I have no choice but to ask here. I really want to audition this amp, but I have no idea how many people own it, or if anyone's willing to part with it. At any rate, I've posted an WTB on classifieds.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693093/wtb-ecp-audio-l-2

 

Anyone?

 

post #103 of 192

I actually bought the last one, as it turns out Songmic.  Luckily, I'm closer to Seoul than many members on here.  If you ever find yourself in Beijing (well, in the next year and a half) look me up and I'll give you plenty of time on my HD800 L-2 rig.

 

I have never heard these headphones amped better, and I've heard a lot of different amps.  The L-2 is a wildly inefficient design, which is why it puts out comparatively little power for the size of its power supply, but what it does put out is perfect beyond measure.  There's also plenty of oomph for the HD800, and they absolutely come alive.  

 

Sorry to do nothing to help you out and only stoke the fire in your soul.  You're one plane ticket away from a fun weekend and lots of L-2 goodness, though.

post #104 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
 

I actually bought the last one, as it turns out Songmic.  Luckily, I'm closer to Seoul than many members on here.  If you ever find yourself in Beijing (well, in the next year and a half) look me up and I'll give you plenty of time on my HD800 L-2 rig.

 

I have never heard these headphones amped better, and I've heard a lot of different amps.  The L-2 is a wildly inefficient design, which is why it puts out comparatively little power for the size of its power supply, but what it does put out is perfect beyond measure.  There's also plenty of oomph for the HD800, and they absolutely come alive.  

 

Sorry to do nothing to help you out and only stoke the fire in your soul.  You're one plane ticket away from a fun weekend and lots of L-2 goodness, though.

 

Thank you so much for the offer, but I can't promise you that I'd fly to another country to audition a headphone amp. I'll try my luck with the classified here, see if there's any kind soul here or those who are going to upgrade to a better amp (though I'm not sure how many will, considering how good the L-2 is).

 

By the way, is your L-2 an 220V unit? I know that China uses 220V as mains electricity, but when I asked Doug, he said he doesn't recall building a 220-240V version of the L-2.

post #105 of 192

By the way, I changed the classified so that I will accept 100-120V units as well. It seems most L-2 that were produced, if not all, were made to work in 100-120V. I guess beggars can't be choosers, so I'll have to use a voltage transformer then.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond