Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › how much of a difference will i notice? ad700+sound card vs t5p+amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how much of a difference will i notice? ad700+sound card vs t5p+amp

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I currently have a pair of heavily modded ath-ad700's with a creative recon3d fatil1ty sound card.

 

I am buying a set of beyerdynamic t5p's and the burson audio ha-160DS amplifier.

 

I will be giving my girlfriend my old set.

 

How much of a difference will i notice?

 

What about those around me, you can currently hear my music IN THE HALL outside my apartment with my ad700's

 

My only REAL complaint is well...everyone else's complaint about the ad700's there isn't near enough bass.

 

I know I could go a cheaper route but id rather go all in than end up still wanting for more...

 

Are there any better options for a CLOSED set of full size cans? or amps(not tube amps, and one that WILL be hooked up to my computer, so the amp/dac/usb is a requirement)

 

I will already be spending 2000$ on them, might as well ask right?

post #2 of 11

The headphones you are getting are very portable, so I would suggest getting a portable DAC/Amp, I would get an Intruder, fully balanced.

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/intruder   , then you would have the best of both worlds. Or save some money if you plan on only using them at home like the T70's  http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/t-70.html. I think the RS Intruder and the Tp5's are a very sexy combo, how could you go wrong !  Good luck in your decision, you plan on spending a pretty penny, and Ray's Amps are top of the line, IMHO. I'm about ready to order The Raptor  http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/raptor, I currently use my Predator DAC/amp at home and portable, works great both ways, requires some burn in time, but they sound so sweet after they have a chance to settle in.

post #3 of 11

Amps rarely add something that isn't there to begin with, it's just sort of to remove harshness when exploring the top end of weaker power sources.

 

I will second the opinion that RSA builds awesome stuff, but really it'd be cheaper to re-evaluate your headphone situation before trying to band-aid it.

post #4 of 11

The T5p is an absolutely outstanding headphone, IMO. With that said, two quick notes: 

 

First, while bass extension and quality is superb on the T5p, its quantity simply isn't (IMO). You can naturally EQ this up to taste, which will help out dramatically-- but it's something to think about. (And I LOVE the T5p). 

 

Second, the recommendation for the Intruder is apparently a solid one (I haven't heard it, but others whose opinions I trust have said good things). But to take advantage of it, you'll need to have your headphones modified for balanced operation. You can either modify the termination of the cable (easiest and cheapest) or the actual connection to the cups themselves (better in some circumstances, but a bit pricier). It seems the T5p responds very well to running balanced, so this might be a great idea, but just understand it involves giving your headphones to somebody for a couple of days and shelling out some dosh. (If you end up going the cup-mod route, I've confirmed that both Moon Audio and BTG Audio can do the modification for a reasonable fee). 

 

As for the isolation-- these should be fine for blocking out the sounds of people in the hallway, unless they're being REALLY loud. The T5p are certainly not the final word in isolation, but they do provide fantastic sound in a closed can, which makes them vastly more usable for situations like the one you describe. 

 

As for other cans, if you REALLY want enough bass to give you an aneurism in a closed can, the Signature DJ would probably be a good choice. I did not care for them, but plenty of other people love them, and it looks like they have at least a claim to the title of 'Best Basshead Can Available'. I would say that although I think the SigDJ looks horrific, they are considerably more portable than the T5p (they isolate better, have removable cables including one with a mic for cellphone use, and the steroid-infused bass response works well when there's a lot of outside noise). 

 

Honestly man, it sounds like you've got a heckuva upgrade on the way (no disrespect to the current gear, natch), and you should have some fun times ahead. If you've already laid down the cash, just let yourself enjoy the new toys for a bit before you start second-guessing yourself. If they don't do it for you, look for something else. If you love 'em, then just love 'em!!!

 

Let us know how you get on ;). Congrats on the new gear!!

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Amps rarely add something that isn't there to begin with, it's just sort of to remove harshness when exploring the top end of weaker power sources.

 

I will second the opinion that RSA builds awesome stuff, but really it'd be cheaper to re-evaluate your headphone situation before trying to band-aid it.

I am looking for amplification, thus the amp, i tend to listen at high volumes due to the fact that i like it basically vibrating my entire skull with bass response(however i am NOT a basshead, i STRESS the fact that i love clarity, i go for the perfect mix of earthshattering bass, with beautiful highs and mids, I have to hear everything every instrument before i like a song)

 

I am not looking for portability really, at all, just amazing CLOSED cans, so my girlfriend, who sits next to me gaming, doesnt give me the "i am going to throw a pot at you, i can hear everything in your song" look, as it sits my ad700's dont have QUITE the bass response i am looking for, they also arent exactly tight enough on my head, i have a rather small cranium, even with the rubber band trick if i turn my head really fast, i end up staring at the driver looking like a pirate with a HUGE patch.

 

From what I have read the beyerdynamic t5p's offer the best external noise blocking(not that that means much at my average volume levels), however you can hear the lyrics in brutal clarity...in the living room....when i am using my ad700's.

 

Sorry I wasnt more specific on that bit haha

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

The T5p is an absolutely outstanding headphone, IMO. With that said, two quick notes: 

 

First, while bass extension and quality is superb on the T5p, its quantity simply isn't (IMO). You can naturally EQ this up to taste, which will help out dramatically-- but it's something to think about. (And I LOVE the T5p). 

 

Second, the recommendation for the Intruder is apparently a solid one (I haven't heard it, but others whose opinions I trust have said good things). But to take advantage of it, you'll need to have your headphones modified for balanced operation. You can either modify the termination of the cable (easiest and cheapest) or the actual connection to the cups themselves (better in some circumstances, but a bit pricier). It seems the T5p responds very well to running balanced, so this might be a great idea, but just understand it involves giving your headphones to somebody for a couple of days and shelling out some dosh. (If you end up going the cup-mod route, I've confirmed that both Moon Audio and BTG Audio can do the modification for a reasonable fee). 

 

As for the isolation-- these should be fine for blocking out the sounds of people in the hallway, unless they're being REALLY loud. The T5p are certainly not the final word in isolation, but they do provide fantastic sound in a closed can, which makes them vastly more usable for situations like the one you describe. 

 

As for other cans, if you REALLY want enough bass to give you an aneurism in a closed can, the Signature DJ would probably be a good choice. I did not care for them, but plenty of other people love them, and it looks like they have at least a claim to the title of 'Best Basshead Can Available'. I would say that although I think the SigDJ looks horrific, they are considerably more portable than the T5p (they isolate better, have removable cables including one with a mic for cellphone use, and the steroid-infused bass response works well when there's a lot of outside noise). 

 

Honestly man, it sounds like you've got a heckuva upgrade on the way (no disrespect to the current gear, natch), and you should have some fun times ahead. If you've already laid down the cash, just let yourself enjoy the new toys for a bit before you start second-guessing yourself. If they don't do it for you, look for something else. If you love 'em, then just love 'em!!!

 

Let us know how you get on ;). Congrats on the new gear!!

 

 

I can solder rather well and am not scared to get my hands dirty, i took apart my entire ad700's desoldered everything painted tehm and put them back together without any trouble(as seen here:http://imgur.com/a/stXSN)

 

Will I need an external EQ with an amp? any recommendations for that? since im sure it doesnt exactly come with a software suite like a creative sound card does

 

 

EDIT: also just so you guys understand the type of music i listen to:

 

One of my all time favorite songs:

Immediate Music - Serenata Nc 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcB2zRmacsc

 

Current favorite song:

Day one - White City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXPV50Hx6V8

 

 

current favorite pop-rock song:

Thousand Foot Krutch - Courtesy Call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRPIInfuSCM

 

Favorite rock song of all time:

AC-DC - Hells Bells

 

Favorite Neo-Classical song:

Lindsay Stirling - River flows in you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrF814OnFQ4

 

So as you can see my tastes are rather wide ranging, I have everything from the wallflowers to the proclaimers to pendulum and paul van dyke. I NEED clarity not just BUMPBUMPBUMP with no sense, i like high volume with vibrating bass but to at the same time be able to hear the singer breathe at the end of their note, if you can get that...yeah i dont make much sense =/


Edited by Faydes - 4/24/13 at 9:19pm
post #7 of 11

You're certainly setting yourself up for quite a set-up! 

 

If you don't like the Bass on the AD700, you're probably not going to like it on the T5p. It's a great headphone, articulated sound, but not much bass kick. I'd also look at these:

 

Denon D7000: Basically the opposite of the AD700 in terms of bass. A good bottom end kick, but the headphone still sounds very refined in terms of detail.

Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs: Don't let the price scare you off since you're looking for something more "high end". These cans perform exceedingly well, and are incredibly balanced across the spectrum. 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

You're certainly setting yourself up for quite a set-up! 

 

If you don't like the Bass on the AD700, you're probably not going to like it on the T5p. It's a great headphone, articulated sound, but not much bass kick. I'd also look at these:

 

Denon D7000: Basically the opposite of the AD700 in terms of bass. A good bottom end kick, but the headphone still sounds very refined in terms of detail.

Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs: Don't let the price scare you off since you're looking for something more "high end". These cans perform exceedingly well, and are incredibly balanced across the spectrum. 

I am intrigued by this, however, I am trying to grab everything I need off of amazon so it all comes at once(im grabbing about 2000$ in other things at the same time so lol, and the only one available on amazon is a 2000$ direct import from japan....and im NOT spending that for them haha

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faydes View Post

I can solder rather well and am not scared to get my hands dirty, i took apart my entire ad700's desoldered everything painted tehm and put them back together without any trouble(as seen here:http://imgur.com/a/stXSN)

 

Will I need an external EQ with an amp? any recommendations for that? since im sure it doesnt exactly come with a software suite like a creative sound card does

 

So as you can see my tastes are rather wide ranging, I have everything from the wallflowers to the proclaimers to pendulum and paul van dyke. I NEED clarity not just BUMPBUMPBUMP with no sense, i like high volume with vibrating bass but to at the same time be able to hear the singer breathe at the end of their note, if you can get that...yeah i dont make much sense =/

 

To address your points: 

 

1). Cool on the modding/soldering thing. I don't know if the T5p is particularly easy or difficult to work with, but I'm sure someone could provide a bit more information on that. If you're considering getting other headphones at some point and possibly selling these, being able to say that they are modified by a known-quantity professional (like Moon or BTG) might help with resell value. Then again, it might not. Just a thought. 

 

2). It sounds like you're going to be using your computer as your source on this, so instead of getting an external EQ, I'd just get J. River Media Center (link). It's pretty universally praised as either the very best or close to the very best s/w available for replaying music, and it has a pretty outstanding EQ built-in. It's what I use every single day, and I love it!

 

3). Given your clarifications on what you're looking for musically, I would definitely say to go with the T5p and EQ the bass to your liking. You may love it as-is (some do), but most people like to add a little oomph down low on these. The clarity on them is excellent, and I think they do a particularly good job with detail in regards to texture-- I listen to a lot of guitar-driven music, and these allow you to really soak up the guitar tone and texture on a track. Meshuggah has some of the most addictive guitar sounds around IMO, and the T5p lets you just revel in it. 

 

Can't wait to hear your impressions, bud!! Keep us posted!!!

post #10 of 11

Haven't used the "T5p" but most of the comments about it are very positive. 

I don't know what kind of games you play, but a headphone with the right amount of bass will be perfect for your needs. The amp (you originally want to buy) will give you what are you looking for, as i had the chance to play some games with it before getting the one i have (Skyrim, Fallout, etc)

post #11 of 11
T5P is a great can but the fact that you namedropped skullcandy is a bit concerning because most headphones will never give you the same level of bass again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › how much of a difference will i notice? ad700+sound card vs t5p+amp