Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . . - Page 66  

post #976 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 View Post

I'd like a DX100 mark 2

 

Yep, and I suspect it may use this new DAP-specific version of the ES9018 DAC:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/720#post_9564054

post #977 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post


Sound quality is what will differentiate it from other DAPs on the market ATM!

I could sacrifice battery life for quality sound:)

Get the DX100 and be done with it wink.gif

post #978 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Get the DX100 and be done with it wink.gif

 

Yeah, just get a DX100 or HDP-R10 and enjoy it.

 

The DX100 sounds really fantastic, holds its value well, and can be sold on when a newer player arrives (obviously, it's value will have dropped a bit because many people will want the newer player, but still, the DX100 is a quality player and will always command a respectable secondhand price).

post #979 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

Yeah, just get a DX100 or HDP-R10 and enjoy it.

 

The DX100 sounds really fantastic, holds its value well, and can be sold on when a newer player arrives (obviously, it's value will have dropped a bit because many people will want the newer player, but still, the DX100 is a quality player and will always command a respectable secondhand price).


 +1

 

...but it would be nice to have a smaller, lighter, faster version of it biggrin.gif

post #980 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

I'm not sure if people interested to pay such high price for DX50 which is a "down grade" from DX100.


I don't expect DX50 sound better than DX100 even I have never heard it before but base on logical sense.

 

May be someone is more willing to top up an additional $350 to get  the reference series like DX100 or even HDP-R10 which have already proven the top notch SQ.

 

I'm very sure iBasso will not kill its golden geese (DX100 & HDP-R10) who lays golden eggs for the company by making DX50 sounds better than them.

 

Just take my view with a grain of salt.biggrin.gif

iBasso said DX50 will not compromise on SQ vs the DX100. Correct me if I am wrong?

post #981 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post


This reminds me of a story I read many years ago about the Hoover company deciding to make their less expensive model of floor vacuum run less quietly, to reduce its appeal to customers. They attached a metal reed inside the housing that was picked (like a guitar string) by a toothed gear on the motor shaft - causing a loud buzzing sound.

Their deception backfired. Housewives unanimously decided that the less expensive model sounded more powerful, buying it in preference to the "less powerful" model that was more expensive. Oops! Hoover ended up adding the metal reed to all of their vacuums!

Mike

Hah, interesting.

post #982 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

iBasso said DX50 will not compromise on SQ vs the DX100. Correct me if I am wrong?

 

I am sure iBasso will do all they can to make the DX50 sound good but given the DAC used, it may still be one level lower than the DX100.

post #983 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanYWM View Post

 

I am sure iBasso will do all they can to make the DX50 sound good but given the DAC used, it may still be one level lower than the DX100.

Ibasso has claimed the DX50 will be a no-compromise DAP that's affordable to everyone. One of those isn't going to be completely true.

post #984 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Ibasso has claimed the DX50 will be a no-compromise DAP that's affordable to everyone. One of those isn't going to be completely true.

This is just the marketing way of saying. :)

post #985 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

This is just the marketing way of saying. smily_headphones1.gif

Actually it make sense for them to actually deliver the DX50 with as good a sound as DX100. DX100 has been around for a while and a bit long in the tooth. Unless they have something better imminently lined up as new flagship, delivering sth on par with DX100 with a slightly lower pricing would made it an interesting competition against the irivers and Hifimans.
post #986 of 3609

The DX50 is a single wolfson dac player.

 

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?

The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

 

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.

So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

 

Am keeping expectations for the DX50 as real as possible. hoping for the best.

 

Just 2 days to go before July. iBasso .. price please. biggrin.gif

post #987 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

The DX50 is a single wolfson dac player.

 

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?

The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

 

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.

So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

 

Am keeping expectations for the DX50 as real as possible. hoping for the best.

 

Just 2 days to go before July. iBasso .. price please. biggrin.gif

 

I think the amp section and overall circuit/power design will be more critical than single or dual DAC chip.  But agree the D42 may be a good reference point.  

post #988 of 3609

I just hope it has good SOUND (No. 1 priority), then a good interface (not too complicated) and last a decent battery life (10-15 hrs minimum).

 

Most imp, it should not need an amp/dac pairing for better sound quality. But since ibasso makes amp/dac, maybe they want it to be paired better with one.angry_face.gif

post #989 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

The DX50 is a single wolfson dac player.

 

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?

The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

 

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.

So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

 

Am keeping expectations for the DX50 as real as possible. hoping for the best.

 

Just 2 days to go before July. iBasso .. price please. biggrin.gif

DAC names tend to be marketing more than anything.

 

Time and time again it is assumed more DACs=better SQ, this is not the case.

 

Using two mono DACs can improve the dynamic range by a few dB, but this is not really necessary or useful in practice, when a single stereo DAC chip can achieve 110+ dB without major difficulty if implemented properly. Under realistic listening conditions, the ~96 dB dynamic range of 16-bit CD quality audio is good enough to make the noise floor inaudible.

 

More often than not, Each doubling of the number of DACs increases the SNR by 3db.

 

post #990 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

DAC names tend to be marketing more than anything.

 

Time and time again it is assumed more DACs=better SQ, this is not the case.

 

Using two mono DACs can improve the dynamic range by a few dB, but this is not really necessary or useful in practice, when a single stereo DAC chip can achieve 110+ dB without major difficulty if implemented properly. Under realistic listening conditions, the ~96 dB dynamic range of 16-bit CD quality audio is good enough to make the noise floor inaudible.

 

More often than not, Each doubling of the number of DACs increases the SNR by 3db.

 

 

Yup. Agree with you smile.gif

 

Though in the case of the AK100, the extra dac sure came in useful. If only the price was just as useful. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .