Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . . - Page 68  

post #1006 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Siow View Post

 

Just so u guys know. I did had a go at AK120 for a while at the local Jaben.

Nothing to crow about. Yes, it was marginally better than AK100, but at the price it's currently for sale, it doesn't even come near to DX100.

 

The main problem is the price I reckon. It is just ridiculous. But then, I think part of the price factors in UI and the form factor. 

post #1007 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Siow View Post

 

Just so u guys know. I did had a go at AK120 for a while at the local Jaben.

Nothing to crow about. Yes, it was marginally better than AK100, but at the price it's currently for sale, it doesn't even come near to DX100.

 

Hey Joe biggrin.gif

 

My first audition impression of the AK120 was the same as yours.

So i went back for a second and third session and listened a while longer.

Can say, while the AK120 isn't as aggressive sounding as the DX100, the rest of its sound is in no way inferior to the DX100.

And dare say the AK120 playback on 24 bit recordings might edge out the DX100.

 

AK120 when paired with the Twaq v2 and JH13 is really quite amazing (comparable in enjoyment with Fitear TG334 universal).

Now waiting for the Silver Widow and Virus cables to see how much more juice can be squeezed out of my JH13 before it retires. smile.gif
 

post #1008 of 3609
Which DX100 firmware did you guys use to compare with?smily_headphones1.gif
post #1009 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuthecaveman View Post

Which DX100 firmware did you guys use to compare with?smily_headphones1.gif

 

These few smile.gif

1.2.7

1.3.7

1.4.2

post #1010 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

 

                                                                           

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                    wink_face.gif

 

 

 

.

 

lol I don't agree with the above. I feel the AK120 is on par with the DX100 in terms of sound quality. The only way I'd feel the DX100 is better is by amping it. I prefer the AK120 with its standard amp section over the DX100. Now the DX100 is more suited to driving more difficult to drive headphones. But I don't use such devices and use IEMs.

post #1011 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post

 

These few smile.gif

1.2.7

1.3.7

1.4.2

 

1.2.3 was the most neutral IMO ;).

post #1012 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

1.2.3 was the most neutral IMO ;).

 

Along with some quirky behavior as well. smile.gif

post #1013 of 3609
I think you mean 1.1.7 smily_headphones1.gif 1.2.3 is the one with muddy bass which was caused by ibasso messing up with the DAC calls. This was fixed by 1.2.7.

once the API is released, DX100 + poweramp/gonemad, IMO, would be an excellent pair wink.gif
post #1014 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuthecaveman View Post

I think you mean 1.1.7 smily_headphones1.gif 1.2.3 is the one with muddy bass which was caused by ibasso messing up with the DAC calls. This was fixed by 1.2.7.

once the API is released, DX100 + poweramp/gonemad, IMO, would be an excellent pair wink.gif

 

You're probably right. I think it was 1.1.7 :). If I remember correctly my work around to get album art showing was to load 1.2.3 then let all the album art load itself and then revert back to 1.1.7 and not do a reset an it would keep all album art.

post #1015 of 3609
yup. or use a third party album cover finder.

hopefully, after the release of DX50, they would start with API. lol
post #1016 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

lol I don't agree with the above. I feel the AK120 is on par with the DX100 in terms of sound quality. The only way I'd feel the DX100 is better is by amping it. I prefer the AK120 with its standard amp section over the DX100. Now the DX100 is more suited to driving more difficult to drive headphones. But I don't use such devices and use IEMs.

 

To each his own.

I personally feel that DX100's internal amp is excellent performing.

To see the benefits of amping the DX100, the amp must be one kick ass amp, and there aren't many such amps around.

I have no problem using DX100 with either Miracle nor EX-1000.

post #1017 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Siow View Post

To each his own.
I personally feel that DX100's internal amp is excellent performing.
To see the benefits of amping the DX100, the amp must be one kick ass amp, and there aren't many such amps around.
I have no problem using DX100 with either Miracle nor EX-1000.
I owned the dx100 and was less impressed than the majority of people. It was really good to me ears but not the ultimate reference everyone is talking about. I think the ak120 is on par with it and has a MUCH better size / SQ ratio.
post #1018 of 3609
Oh and Mython...one person saying he does not like it much after a brief hearing is not bursting a bubble...and why you would rejoice in that is quite beyond me.
post #1019 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I owned the dx100 and was less impressed than the majority of people. It was really good to me ears but not the ultimate reference everyone is talking about. I think the ak120 is on par with it and has a MUCH better size / SQ ratio.

M it is really hard to imagine sonic improvement... I didn't believe I would be more impressed by anything over a dx100+ft334 combo had I not actually heard the better combos. For those who actually own these DAPs I have yet to find anyone putting DX100 a class above AK120 or HM901.... I myself wouldn't have gone down this DAP up/side-grades party had I not run into all those battery, heat, and unresponsive UI issues of my DX100 as I really believed it has to be the best sounding combo. Alas.... You know how it went and my wallet still always contemplates the what-if's.........
Edited by kkcc - 6/30/13 at 9:55am
post #1020 of 3609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Oh and Mython...one person saying he does not like it much after a brief hearing is not bursting a bubble...and why you would rejoice in that is quite beyond me.

 

Whoa, there, why do you presume I was 'rejoicing'?

 

I simply posted the picture of a bubble because I was mildly amused at the light-hearted difference of opinion between a couple of head-fiers. As you know, the iRiver players have been a hot issue of contention between various head-fiers, owing to the outrageous and cynical marketing and pricing. I personally take no issue with anyone who owns a 100 or a 120, and I very much hope they enjoy them. I have an extremely low opinion of the marketing/pricing strategy employed by iRiver, but no one here in Head-fi is to blame for that.

 

Specifically, my amusement that led to posting the bubble picture arose from the fact that use of the Sabre DAC incurs a heavy penalty in terms of voltage requirements, which potentially has a knock-on effect upon battery life. I'm really extremely pleased to see that a new mobile version of the ES9018 DAC is about to be released in the near future: http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC    The point of my amusement is that I do not believe manufacturers would implement the present ES9018, and incur the considerable power requirements, if they really could match the SQ with the Wolfson DAC (yes, of course, there are many other factors that determine overall SQ of a DAP, but nevertheless you can see the point I am making).  There is an aspect of human psychology that when a person has spent a large sum of money on a product (AK120), they may be strongly motivated to justify their expenditure by asserting that it performs equally as well as a competing product (such as DX100 / HM-901 etc.). Whether that is actually true is a matter of debate, and it is the light-hearted debate amongst my fellow head-fiers that I am amused by. If it was an angry or harsh debate, I probably wouldn't have posted the bubble picture. And do please note that I didn't say any words; it was just a picture, which could be interpreted either  way, and, just to prove that, it seems it actually was interpreted both ways, if you read the posts that followed it. That's cool, I'm fine with that.

 

As far as the 'beer-mug' gif is concerned (which I didn't use in the bubble post, but I wonder if you may be thinking of it), it doesn't necessarily mean 'rejoicing'. It can alternatively mean that a person simply agrees or disagrees with another poster, in a friendly way.

 

Believe me, I'm participating in this thread in a very laidback, lighthearted manner. We're supposed to be friendly enthusiasts here, all sharing a common interest, bouncing around differing opinions, and generally enjoying the hobby, aren't we?

 

 

.....   beerchug.gif


Edited by Mython - 6/30/13 at 4:05pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .