Hey. I'm debating both of these. I've tried the M50. Long story short, my M50's broke (had it for almost a year) and Amazon issuing a full refund. I was going to get the 840's befroe the M50's but I opted for the Audio Technicas. I've been reading many reviews about comparisons but I have a few questions. What is the durability of the 840's like? I've went through several of Shures SE215's (which I love), though they keep breaking down. How is the build quality on the 840's? Second, I hear the bass on the 840 is lacking. I find the amount of bass on the M50's to be JUST perfect. How much lower are the 840's? If the bass on the M50's is a 10/10 (10 being the highest), what would the 840's be? I listen to all type of music, mostly rap though.
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 4/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- To AMP or Not to AMP - Driving Headphones in the $150-$300 Range Last post on 11/7/14 at 10:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any suggestions for comfortable headphones? Last post on 10/27/14 at 12:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Any way to make my Shure SRH840's more comfortable? Last post on 10/30/14 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/11/19) Last post on Yesterday at 6:59 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones Under $200 (Bias Free) Last post on 8/29/14 at 9:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/26/14
SRH 840 v M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hey man, I own the 840's and I think they're built very well. I bought the 940 velour pads and that really makes the some comfortable cans, and I think they sound amazing in their price range.
I can't compare them directly to the M50 because I've never heard them before but when I'm running the 840's off my FiiO E11 the volume and detail is quite impressive. With FiiO's "bass boost" I found the 840's to be very bassy, actually. If you listen mostly to Rap then these will do good for you, but most of the headphone would be wasted because they really shine in the mids and highs. Most people compare the 840 with the M50 for a reason I guess, I imagine they're very similar in sound signature but it seems the majority of reviews I read people would lean towards the 840. This was my deciding factor between the 2 as well.
The 840 is a favorite among many, and while it's not my primary headphone, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. They're a tad heavy, but not too much so. It's a quality headphone with good balance and good range.
The 840 have a good amount of bass, but is not a headphone for bassheads. M50's are bassy headphones.
Of the two, the Shure have the best mids.
Why not save a little extra money, and upgrade?
I agree with saving a bit more.... because if you're like me, here's what you'll do.
I bought the Shures and LOVED THEM SO MUCH that I wanted to upgrade even more to see what I was missing. Not knocking the 840 at all, because it's an amazing headphone, one of the best in it's price range.... but once you hear them and fall in love with them, you'll get greedy...and curious....and may end up spending more and more money :)
That's just me! If you can refrain yourself (unlike me) then the SRH-840 is a great headphone for the long haul that's easy to drive. But I agree that it doesn't have the most bass, but it's not slouching either. You can easily tweak an EQ or flip a bass boost switch and it is fully capable.
- SRH 840 v M50
- › Sennheiser HD598 Amazon Black Friday deal $99.99! 28 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 40 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Moving from speakers to headphones. Not easy to be an audiophile... 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 5 minutes ago
- › Wyred4Sound Dac-2 7 minutes ago
- › Black Friday Deals for Audiophiles 2014 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 rev1 + Leather Headband 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Guarding oneself against insurance fraud
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3