Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 59

post #871 of 1370
Which pads did you use for the eq adventure?
post #872 of 1370

I used the pleather ones off the 55x. My default pads now.

The ATH also have pleather but a bit softer.

 

 

I had an epiphany/intervention by a D.J. friend who is also a Guitarist.

 

He said as a guitarist he is focused on the tuning of his strings, tone and volume on the axe (guitar)  the amp controls.and then whatever foot pedals he is using.  The speaker in the amp is never a thought.

 

He would never compare 2 guitars but he might make one try to sound like the other depending on the circumstance. (Wanna sound like Jimmy Page but not using a Gibson Les Paul.....use a pedal )

 

I thought about headphones.

I chose an easy first step. An imperfect audiophile can playing a simple jazz ensemble.

You would not be able to tell the difference. That line is the sz imitating another can. Slightly upgraded by a richer bass actually but beyond 200Hz that's the ATH.

 

The veil can be lifted off of these cans. I did it today. I'm sure some already did but today was my first attempt at imitating something. A target signature playing a simple Jazz piece.

The veil is a non issue except for lazy folks or those who do not like eq's.

 

The soundstage...that's another issue.

The real issue. Jazz by nature sounds intimate.

Like being in a club.

I can imagine imitating a Denon 2k sig playing R&B.

Example:

 

 

This would not be hard. I might try it.

 

The limit for the sz would seem to be things with a wide stage either by instrumental separation or an airy arena rock anthem type spacial feeling. 

I don't know why? 

Hip Hop, Intimate ensemble, Studio mixed Pop R&B are all reasonable easy. The only veil is the one covering the eq panel

 

 

Now this....

 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/6/14 at 8:19pm
post #873 of 1370


Got the original Beyerdynamic DT770 velour pads today. Mounted them asap after I got them in my hands.  These pads fit perfect but in the area where the rim is elevated, the new pads mounting material is narrower than the original ones. So the fit is OK but not as perfect as with the originals.

Those pads make the sound quite different. Bass is even bigger, as expected. I assume 4 to 5 dB bass boost . Mids are much better, voices are complete now. Treble are still a bit veiled, but that can be tolerated. I like that better than sibilance.

I feel that the soundstage also got much better. Frampton comes Alive, really! BTW, I was a big Peter Frampton fan when he got famous. Born 1960. So Rap is not my favorite music stile. But I enjoy RAP every now and then when it is well done and not so much about BS, more about life. I listen to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks album right now, sounds good, the acoustic guitar is nice, so is the harmonica. Maybe here I miss a little treble sharpness on the harmonica and his lovely voice...lol!

 

 

 

 

post #874 of 1370
I have the somewhat controversial W5000 Raffinato, so the W1000 reference was very helpful!

Also, re- Frampton, I'm a big Humble Pie fan myself! One of my favorite bands...
post #875 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 


Got the original Beyerdynamic DT770 velour pads today. Mounted them asap after I got them in my hands.  These pads fit perfect but in the area where the rim is elevated, the new pads mounting material is narrower than the original ones. So the fit is OK but not as perfect as with the originals.

Those pads make the sound quite different. Bass is even bigger, as expected. I assume 4 to 5 dB bass boost . Mids are much better, voices are complete now. Treble are still a bit veiled, but that can be tolerated. I like that better than sibilance.

I feel that the soundstage also got much better. Frampton comes Alive, really! BTW, I was a big Peter Frampton fan when he got famous. Born 1960. So Rap is not my favorite music stile. But I enjoy RAP every now and then when it is well done and not so much about BS, more about life. I listen to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks album right now, sounds good, the acoustic guitar is nice, so is the harmonica. Maybe here I miss a little treble sharpness on the harmonica and his lovely voice...lol!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Very nice!

 

I edited my post.

 

Frampton is sounding nice if I raise the 500Hz, 2k 8-12k  14k rolled off...up. :beerchug: 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/6/14 at 10:35pm
post #876 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by intlsubband View Post

I have the somewhat controversial W5000 Raffinato, so the W1000 reference was very helpful!

Also, re- Frampton, I'm a big Humble Pie fan myself! One of my favorite bands...

 

I;m a big Blind Faith fan

 

 

This was a very controversial album cover in 1969?

post #877 of 1370

So, I finally picked these up from the post office... first impressions - I love it!! these are one of the most fun headphones I've ever heard. I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded good on the mids and highs as well, though the treble is probably the weaker part of the range here. I feel like these headphones sound like being in a venue with a very good sound system, with the kicking bottom end as well as lively and clear mids and top ends. These will definitely be my default "dance party for one" go-to headphones whenever i need to dance around the house...

 

The SZ-2000 in their new home... 

 

 

I also got the HM5 pads today, so I could make some comparisons:

 

 

In the photo: Alpha pads (top), HM5 pads (bottom left), stock pads (bottom right).

 

The stock pads are indeed too shallow, but not quite as bad as what I thought it would be based on the comments, and I did enjoy the first listens out of the box with the stock pads.

 

I then tried the alpha pads, it fits well, though a tad on the loose side. In terms of sound, I felt that the highs get a bit too soft and dull - back to the Mad Dogs they go.

 

The HM5 pads I think are the best fi sq-wise, they don't soften the sound as much as the Alphas, but just enough, and are more comfortable to have the extra space around the ear.

 

I'll post some of the tracks I used in the first listens soon. I don't listen to much hip-hop, but these make good bassy rock sound like being in a live show. The other genre I am absolutely loving on this is funk.

post #878 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

I;m a big Blind Faith fan

 

 

This was a very controversial album cover in 1969?

 

One of my favorite album!

post #879 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by intlsubband View Post
 

So, I finally picked these up from the post office... first impressions - I love it!! these are one of the most fun headphones I've ever heard. I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded good on the mids and highs as well, though the treble is probably the weaker part of the range here. I feel like these headphones sound like being in a venue with a very good sound system, with the kicking bottom end as well as lively and clear mids and top ends. These will definitely be my default "dance party for one" go-to headphones whenever i need to dance around the house...

 

The SZ-2000 in their new home... 

 

 

I also got the HM5 pads today, so I could make some comparisons:

 

 

In the photo: Alpha pads (top), HM5 pads (bottom left), stock pads (bottom right).

 

The stock pads are indeed too shallow, but not quite as bad as what I thought it would be based on the comments, and I did enjoy the first listens out of the box with the stock pads.

 

I then tried the alpha pads, it fits well, though a tad on the loose side. In terms of sound, I felt that the highs get a bit too soft and dull - back to the Mad Dogs they go.

 

The HM5 pads I think are the best fi sq-wise, they don't soften the sound as much as the Alphas, but just enough, and are more comfortable to have the extra space around the ear.

 

I'll post some of the tracks I used in the first listens soon. I don't listen to much hip-hop, but these make good bassy rock sound like being in a live show. The other genre I am absolutely loving on this is funk.

                                                        

 

Thank you!! You benefit this small community

 

The massive low end was my draw since Hip-Hop is my thing but I was listening to that Blind Faith track and after about 10 minutes with the eq I was .....enjoying a classic rock track.:D

post #880 of 1370

So, you guys remember when you try to put your headphones in, and the right side sort of slides a little more and it does this clicking sound? Well, mine gave up, and they broke... So yeah, watch out with that. I did fixed them with some loctite, but still... these are a lot more fragile than they seem.

post #881 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 

So, you guys remember when you try to put your headphones in, and the right side sort of slides a little more and it does this clicking sound? Well, mine gave up, and they broke... So yeah, watch out with that. I did fixed them with some loctite, but still... these are a lot more fragile than they seem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These are strictly outside cans for me and I take them everywhere. No issues. That part I bolded...can you explain because I don't remember that post. Sorry.

Please provide pic so other owners can pay attention.

Thank you in advance for the picture :D 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/9/14 at 8:49am
post #882 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 

So, you guys remember when you try to put your headphones in, and the right side sort of slides a little more and it does this clicking sound? Well, mine gave up, and they broke... So yeah, watch out with that. I did fixed them with some loctite, but still... these are a lot more fragile than they seem.

It clicks on one side when you pit it on, sounding like something is cracking. Is that the issue?

post #883 of 1370

@Hawaiibadboy - could you post your EQ settings, which help to reduce the veil?

post #884 of 1370
The eq settings depend on the pads that you use. HBB uses vinyl pads from JVC can and I use Beyer DT770 velour pads. With mine the veil is nearly totally gone now. The advantage of Beyer pads is the relatively low codt (23€) and the easy availability worldwide. Beyer has a high level of spare parts onhand whenever you need them.
post #885 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post
 

@Hawaiibadboy - could you post your EQ settings, which help to reduce the veil?

 

Depends on the song

 

 

Madonna's "Take a Bow" was a clarity test song so i just fired it up

 

 

The Low to Mid transition needs help on this track and in general for me. Also 3k 7k and 14K can use a lift to give a clarity test track a nice sound

I think the low>>mid tran (350Hz ish) point and 7k could always generally need a lift. 14k for high highs. You cannot turn off the dual bass tubes so you need to lift the mid tran and the particular highs depending on the genre'

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread