Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 48

post #706 of 1418

Hey I still need more time with them. Been listening to hawaiibadboy's tracks and also trying it with Corda Jazz amp. This amp definitely pumps out less bass than Vali.

 

My comments on SZ2000's bass compared to those other cans were more about the quality of sub bass and extension. Sub bass quality and extension is great really. Some of those other cans I listed have more midbass like PRO 900, XB500 and D1100 for example.

 

To be honest I still don't think anything reaches PRO 900's levels of ridiculous over the top bass WITHOUT EQ. You can get those levels with just a bit of EQ on all bass head cans. Its mostly tons of mid bass that makes PRO 900 sound that way. The problem with PRO 900 is that it just sounds wrong to my ears. Maybe its the off center drivers (S-Logic plus) they use that makes it sound different to any other headphone I've tried.

 

If PRO 900 didn't have that crazy bass for us bass heads it would be one of the worst and most overrated headphones ever imo :D

 

 

EDIT: I think I'm going back to Vali. Jazz is too polite/transparent/neutral for me.

post #707 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbox View Post
 

Hey I still need more time with them. Been listening to hawaiibadboy's tracks and also trying it with Corda Jazz amp. This amp definitely pumps out less bass than Vali.

 

My comments on SZ2000's bass compared to those other cans were more about the quality of sub bass and extension. Sub bass quality and extension is great really. Some of those other cans I listed have more midbass like PRO 900, XB500 and D1100 for example.

 

To be honest I still don't think anything reaches PRO 900's levels of ridiculous over the top bass WITHOUT EQ. You can get those levels with just a bit of EQ on all bass head cans. Its mostly tons of mid bass that makes PRO 900 sound that way. The problem with PRO 900 is that it just sounds wrong to my ears. Maybe its the off center drivers (S-Logic plus) they use that makes it sound different to any other headphone I've tried.

 

If PRO 900 didn't have that crazy bass for us bass heads it would be one of the worst and most overrated headphones ever imo :D

 

 

EDIT: I think I'm going back to Vali. Jazz is too polite/transparent/neutral for me.

:D

 

Play that "rah" track at as high a low bass 20-80Hz you can.  Embrace the bass.  The s-logic/highs of the Pro 900 pierced ripped shrilly shredded my head off. These dig much lower .Push these cnt drivers....push...work that amps low end!!

 

Compare the "rah" and "on my level" tracks with the 900.  Enjoy. 

post #708 of 1418

Dat "Rah" low bass man :basshead:

post #709 of 1418

Just throwing this out there that if someone has a piece for sale, I am willing to buy it.

 

Afterall what,s better than 1 SZ2000?:p

 

2 SZ2000s;)

post #710 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post
 

Just throwing this out there that if someone has a piece for sale, I am willing to buy it.

 

Afterall what,s better than 1 SZ2000?:p

 

2 SZ2000s;)

Did you ever switch the pads?  @silverbox if you can switch the pads later to let the mids and highs sound normal. No effect on bass.

 

post #711 of 1418

I will be switching the pads shortly to see how much of a difference does it make.

post #712 of 1418

 

Another nice one for sz owners. 

This has a very nice rumble that falls under 20Hz...disappears like a big boulder rolling down hill

post #713 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post
 

I will be switching the pads shortly to see how much of a difference does it make.

 Man my listening time was about 20 minutes with the stuff sitting on my ears:mad:...I really got annoyed by that.

 

The switch is ultra easy and makes for  a much more comfortable/normal listening.  Firmer pads better I think but really anything to get the damn grills of your lobes works:D

 

post #714 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

:D

 

.Push these cnt drivers....push...work that amps low end!!

Done :biggrin:

 


Edited by silverbox - 3/28/14 at 11:16am
post #715 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

Did you ever switch the pads?  @silverbox if you can switch the pads later to let the mids and highs sound normal. No effect on bass.

 


No. I actually like stock pads for now. Maybe later.

post #716 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbox View Post
 

Done :biggrin:

 

 

 

 

Yeah buddy!!

 

Can you lift the 30Hz?

post #717 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbox View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

:D

 

.Push these cnt drivers....push...work that amps low end!!

Done :biggrin:

 

 

Foobar's built-in EQ is very limited. A parametric equalizer would give you the most freedom. Since you're already using Windows (Vista, 7, or 8/8.1), you should get Equalizer APO. Here is a head-fi thread dedicated to it. Basically, Equalizer APO allows detailed control of the built-in Windows sound modules, so it only installs the controller (no GUI) and you set the settings in the file "config.txt" under "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config". Any changes you make in config.txt affects the sound in real-time. You can read the head-fi thread for very quick tutorials, but I promise that it only looks complex at first. Inside my config.txt is this:

 

Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 25,0 Hz Gain 15,0 dB Q 1,000
Filter 2: ON PEQ Fc 3000,0 Hz Gain 5,0 dB Q 1,000

 

Red is the center frequency in Hz (comma means decimal), blue is the level, and green is the width of the curve (when using "Q", 0 is the widest, and affects the entire spectrum, while 10 limits the boost to just the center frequency).

 

 

Some head-fiers made a GUI for it, most used is jiiteepee's FPEQGUI-10MC, head-fi thread here. Using the GUI, Filter 1 above looks like this:

 

 

If you want to try the built-in Bass Boost in Windows (your sound card driver may or may not support this), try the following:

 

deT3KED.gif

 

The 50Hz bass boost won't sound good on the "Rah" track though.

post #718 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSmiley View Post
 

 

Foobar's built-in EQ is very limited. A parametric equalizer would give you the most freedom. Since you're already using Windows (Vista, 7, or 8/8.1), you should get Equalizer APO. Here is a head-fi thread dedicated to it. Basically, Equalizer APO allows detailed control of the built-in Windows sound modules, so it only installs the controller (no GUI) and you set the settings in the file "config.txt" under "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config". Any changes you make in config.txt affects the sound in real-time. You can read the head-fi thread for very quick tutorials, but I promise that it only looks complex at first. Inside my config.txt is this:

 

Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 25,0 Hz Gain 15,0 dB Q 1,000
Filter 2: ON PEQ Fc 3000,0 Hz Gain 5,0 dB Q 1,000

 

Red is the center frequency in Hz (comma means decimal), blue is the level, and green is the width of the curve (when using "Q", 0 is the widest, and affects the entire spectrum, while 10 limits the boost to just the center frequency).

 

 

Some head-fiers made a GUI for it, most used is jiiteepee's FPEQGUI-10MC, head-fi thread here. Using the GUI, Filter 1 above looks like this:

 

 

If you want to try the built-in Bass Boost in Windows (your sound card driver may or may not support this), try the following:

 

deT3KED.gif

 

The 50Hz bass boost won't sound good on the "Rah" track though.

 

 

 ******* awesome!! +18db @50Hz.......you sick bastard!!! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On another note...I have subs under my floor but this guy has a sub woofer chamber....

 

http://curiousphotos.blogspot.jp/2009/12/biggest-subwoofer-in-world.html


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 3/29/14 at 3:00am
post #719 of 1418

I GOT MY SZ2000. In my hands. On my head.

 

And they're exactly as @Hawaiibadboy described. These can hit bass only a few decibels (3?) louder than the MR77X. If you just want the extreme basshead bass, the 77's will deliver for $59.95.

 

I understand exactly way Hawaii insists on the earpad change. I think I can imagine how much better the SZ2000 will sound with the 77 pads. I still have to do further testing.

 

However, I have very little time left for today as I have an exam tonight.

 

First, USPS made me wait at my front door for 4 hours, only to find that a new hire delivered to the wrong house.

 

Then, I had to go directly to USPS to get my package. That was an additional 1 hour wait.

 

That was ~$50 shipping.

 

That's where all my time went today. I'll update this later, maybe tomorrow.

 

I don't want to test further while I'm in a mixed kind of mood.

post #720 of 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSmiley View Post
 

I GOT MY SZ2000. In my hands. On my head.

 

And they're exactly as @Hawaiibadboy described. These can hit bass only a few decibels (3?) louder than the MR77X. If you just want the extreme basshead bass, the 77's will deliver for $59.95.

 

I understand exactly way Hawaii insists on the earpad change. I think I can imagine how much better the SZ2000 will sound with the 77 pads. I still have to do further testing.

 

However, I have very little time left for today as I have an exam tonight.

 

First, USPS made me wait at my front door for 4 hours, only to find that a new hire delivered to the wrong house.

 

Then, I had to go directly to USPS to get my package. That was an additional 1 hour wait.

 

That was ~$50 shipping.

 

That's where all my time went today. I'll update this later, maybe tomorrow.

 

I don't want to test further while I'm in a mixed kind of mood.

 

Switch the pads off the 77's just for temporary (make sure left side>>>left side) and focus on your exam!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread