Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 46

post #676 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 

Colour me intrigued. I'm more of a neutral fan, but the Bass-ian inside me struggles and comes to the forefront ever so often. Should I get these or buy the TH600. Any other recommendations?

 

Already have the XB500 though, has anyone compared these and the XB500?


Like Hawaiibadboy said, get the TH600 if it's not often. Despite the fact that they do get better with burn-in, and still sound deep, i find the TH600 technically better than the SZ2000. Doesn't stop me from enjoying some weird ass music :P!



(I have the S-Logic Ultrasone CD demo, and does wonders with the SZ2000, you want deep bass, use that...).

They're not designed for this type of music, but they work ok anyway (and reach a lot deeper than the HD600, though they miss a little detail and texture). I'm around 150+ hours of use/burn-in and they cleared the "veil" that bothered me, i still find them a little bloated sometimes (comparing them with my IM70's or my HD25's). They became my movie and travel desktop headphones.


Edited by Kukyo - 3/24/14 at 6:34pm
post #677 of 1541
I've got these for sale and have used them for about 5 hours. The mids and highs are not clear enough for me and need to be unveiled by a lot for it to be considered keepers. But they are definitely BASS Cannons. It's like strapping 18 inch subs to your head

Someone tell me the mids and treble opens up considerably and I might decide to keep it.
post #678 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


Like Hawaiibadboy said, get the TH600 if it's not often. Despite the fact that they do get better with burn-in, and still sound deep, i find the TH600 technically better than the SZ2000. Doesn't stop me from enjoying some weird ass music :P!



(I have the S-Logic Ultrasone CD demo, and does wonders with the SZ2000, you want deep bass, use that...).

They're not designed for this type of music, but they work ok anyway (and reach a lot deeper than the HD600, though they miss a little detail and texture). I'm around 150+ hours of use/burn-in and they cleared the "veil" that bothered me, i still find them a little bloated sometimes (comparing them with my IM70's or my HD25's). They became my movie and travel desktop headphones.

 

Thanks and please keep updating. I use these for Hip Hop and only use an hour or two per day but if 150 is lifting a veil I may ...will start listening to Reggae, Rock and Classic. I'm pleased to use them as bass monsters (a.k.a Hip Hop) but wouldn't be sad if they started being more friendly with other genre':D

post #679 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

Thanks and please keep updating. I use these for Hip Hop and only use an hour or two per day but if 150 is lifting a veil I may ...will start listening to Reggae, Rock and Classic. I'm pleased to use them as bass monsters (a.k.a Hip Hop) but wouldn't be sad if they started being more friendly with other genre':D


It was pretty much the same with my S400, they sounded good out of the box, but not for everything. Then the burn-in process started and they started to clear up, and now they have around 750+ hours of use, and they sound completely different from where they started. Same here, these started very disappointing, and right now i've been using them non-stop most of the nights and while i travel. I still have my IM70's for overall portable usage, but when i'm at home, these replace my IM70's really fast. Might keep doing some burn-in, since i'm not considering getting an amp just yet (though i might be getting the PB2 for my DX50).

post #680 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


It was pretty much the same with my S400, they sounded good out of the box, but not for everything. Then the burn-in process started and they started to clear up, and now they have around 750+ hours of use, and they sound completely different from where they started. Same here, these started very disappointing, and right now i've been using them non-stop most of the nights and while i travel. I still have my IM70's for overall portable usage, but when i'm at home, these replace my IM70's really fast. Might keep doing some burn-in, since i'm not considering getting an amp just yet (though i might be getting the PB2 for my DX50).

 Are you NOT amping these?

Thanks for the feedback btw.

I used to design tuned (ported) subwoofer enclosures. This can design has a lot of reasons to be exceptional in other genre and not too many not to be exceptional except the piping of the bass which is tuned and can be tuned up or down.

I will start doing light burn in just for the hell of it. 

 

I tell everyone who inquires about these to get an amp. For mega thunder claps and stuff:D....have you not been using an amp at all? I plugged these into my ipod classic (before the pad change and was not liking it) My cowon/amp combo......really nice.

post #681 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

If the Bass monster only comes out sometimes get the TH600.

 

 

 

The sz2000 hit harder and deeper than TH600 but need a cup change and are not as sonically gifted as the Fostex.

 

Comparing the bass off XB500 and sz2000.

 

The XB500 were tested and amped while I hunted for cans and the XB700 were better but that's a 40mm driver v.s. a 50mm driver with similar tuning and housing.  The XB500 was never on my radar as it choked on deep hits with high volume.

 

The M100 would be a better step up with a more pleasing sound. The sz2000 are bass monsters. I think folks don't imagine what that is until they hear it. It's clean. It's deep and it's loud.  It will make your head shake and eyes vibrate and water and you'll feel sick after a while. I tell everyone if they have an amp, love bass and have a library dominated by Hip Hop these are for you. If anything in that 3 doesn't fit then these are not for you.

 

Get the TH600.

Thanks for the reply, but if the SZ2000 is better in the bass department then I might get it, since they're cheap as compared to the TH600

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


Like Hawaiibadboy said, get the TH600 if it's not often. Despite the fact that they do get better with burn-in, and still sound deep, i find the TH600 technically better than the SZ2000. Doesn't stop me from enjoying some weird ass music :P!



(I have the S-Logic Ultrasone CD demo, and does wonders with the SZ2000, you want deep bass, use that...).

They're not designed for this type of music, but they work ok anyway (and reach a lot deeper than the HD600, though they miss a little detail and texture). I'm around 150+ hours of use/burn-in and they cleared the "veil" that bothered me, i still find them a little bloated sometimes (comparing them with my IM70's or my HD25's). They became my movie and travel desktop headphones.

Thanks for the reply, as stated above that since the SZ2000 have "supposedly" great bass then I'll get these.

 

Worth nothing is that these won't be my primary headphones as I have a more superior pair for that.  I know it is the wrong thread to ask, but are there are other cans that have a better bass in a can out there, in both quantity and quality? Or any cans with a better VFM w.r.t. bass?

 

I have an amplifier and will soon buy an amplifier for portable use.

 

Thanks for all the replies

post #682 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post

I've got these for sale and have used them for about 5 hours. The mids and highs are not clear enough for me and need to be unveiled by a lot for it to be considered keepers. But they are definitely BASS Cannons. It's like strapping 18 inch subs to your head

Someone tell me the mids and treble opens up considerably and I might decide to keep it.

 

I cannot tell you that they "open" up as I don't really believe in stuff like that... Your ears/brain either interpret a pleasant sound signature or it does not... they can get used to a specific sound signature or they do not... I "burned" my SZ for a bunch of hours (as it was recommended by another member) and I still heard what I heard, HUGE bass presence, surprisingly forward mids but too much of a warm "veil" over the whole sound signature making them sound a bit "low-fi" (i.e. lacking clarity/sparkle). As an "overall" purchase I would not recommend them. As Bass Cannons, yeah, they are definitely that...

 

So conclusion, if you don't like them as they are right now, don't expect any miracles unless you get used to the sound... :D

post #683 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 

Thanks for the reply, but if the SZ2000 is better in the bass department then I might get it, since they're cheap as compared to the TH600

 

Thanks for the reply, as stated above that since the SZ2000 have "supposedly" great bass then I'll get these.

 

Worth nothing is that these won't be my primary headphones as I have a more superior pair for that.  I know it is the wrong thread to ask, but are there are other cans that have a better bass in a can out there, in both quantity and quality? Or any cans with a better VFM w.r.t. bass?

 

I have an amplifier and will soon buy an amplifier for portable use.

 

Thanks for all the replies

Your neck vibrating...not just your head...your neck and head. Nothing supposed about the bass. It's not cerebral interpreting it's physical reception. 

You would be advised to change the cups right away. The grills sitting on your ears gets tiring in oh..about 5 minutes. Makes a very big difference and impacts the bass in no way.

 

If you already have Hi-Fi cans then I 100% recommend these for the price to performance and unique ability. If you get a Fiio e12 the low freq switch is sub sonic. Matches very well with these cans. Just an opinion. You are the 1st person with a set of go to cans already on hand so yes...get these and see how much bass you really like. These have more. 

 

Signed with confidence,

 

Chris.

post #684 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

Your neck vibrating...not just your head...your neck and head. Nothing supposed about the bass. It's not cerebral interpreting it's physical reception. 

You would be advised to change the cups right away. The grills sitting on your ears gets tiring in oh..about 5 minutes. Makes a very big difference and impacts the bass in no way.

 

If you already have Hi-Fi cans then I 100% recommend these for the price to performance and unique ability. If you get a Fiio e12 the low freq switch is sub sonic. Matches very well with these cans. Just an opinion. You are the 1st person with a set of go to cans already on hand so yes...get these and see how much bass you really like. These have more. 

 

Signed with confidence,

 

Chris.


Hello Chris,

 

I'm the "guy" from the other thread. XB500 is enough to vibrate your head, not the neck though.

 

I think I might get these. Bass bleeding into mids won't matter much to me since these won't be my primary set of cans as I have a pretty neutral set of cans for them. It'll be my backup fun headphone which I might use in tandem with a fiio e17 or e18(if I get them) but will mostly be used indoors.

 

Is a pad and cup change really needed? It took a lot of effort to change the pads on another pair of headphones that I have, and I don't want to go over that again. Is the cup change method really complex. I guess I need to go through this thread more meticulously. And search for some deals.

 

Call me mad, but I love myself some sweet bass from time to time. When I need to cleanse myself of all the  "analytical-ity" of the sound, I resort to Bass.

 

Not a big fan of Rap, but I listen to Dubstep and Hardstyle, along with some other genres that have a lot of bass dominance.

 

Guess I'll have to bid my beloved XB500 adieu.

post #685 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 


Hello Chris,

 

I'm the "guy" from the other thread. XB500 is enough to vibrate your head, not the neck though.

 

I think I might get these. Bass bleeding into mids won't matter much to me since these won't be my primary set of cans as I have a pretty neutral set of cans for them. It'll be my backup fun headphone which I might use in tandem with a fiio e17 or e18(if I get them) but will mostly be used indoors.

 

Is a pad and cup change really needed? It took a lot of effort to change the pads on another pair of headphones that I have, and I don't want to go over that again. Is the cup change method really complex. I guess I need to go through this thread more meticulously. And search for some deals.

 

Call me mad, but I love myself some sweet bass from time to time. When I need to cleanse myself of all the  "analytical-ity" of the sound, I resort to Bass.

 

Not a big fan of Rap, but I listen to Dubstep and Hardstyle, along with some other genres that have a lot of bass dominance.

 

Guess I'll have to bid my beloved XB500 adieu.

It's 2:30 am in Japan so i gotta sleep but the cup change takes 1 minute per cup. I thought it would be a pain but it wasn't. It's a sleeve that fits in a groove. No screws, no tape no fastening of any sort. just tucked in sleeve. I can take pics to show you. it is very very simple. 

 

You can go without the cups but for 2 minutes of your life ....it's a recommend. Your gonna get the bass no matter what. HM5 Brainwavez from mp4.net should work. leather/pleather..whatever..

 

The cup sleeves are tucked into the groove going down the middle of the cup...it just pulls out or tucks in

 

 

 

I signed this with my name because you already have Hi-Fi cans. These...can be whatever you want I think but I know they can be the biggest bass fix you can get.  These make me smile everyday. They are absolutely ******* insane if you wanna turn it up to levels of massive bass.  I sleep better at night knowing I have one set that will pound louder and deeper than my ears can handle without distortion concerns. I'm a bassaholic. These cans can cause hearing loss. If that is not attractive then I dunno what to say? The guy who just said these are lo-fi...I respect him tremendously gelocks.....his side comments about these being BASS Monsters were what sold me. He unintentionally hit my "on" switch and the rest is history. These are monsters bro....


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 3/25/14 at 10:45am
post #686 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

It's 2:30 am in Japan so i gotta sleep but the cup change takes 1 minute per cup. I thought it would be a pain but it wasn't. It's a sleeve that fits in a groove. No screws, no tape no fastening of any sort. just tucked in sleeve. I can take pics to show you. it is very very simple. 

 

You can go without the cups but for 2 minutes of your life ....it's a recommend. Your gonna get the bass no matter what. HM5 Brainwavez from mp4.net should work. leather/pleather..whatever..

 

I signed this with my name because you already have Hi-Fi cans. These...can be whatever you want I think but I know they can be the biggest bass fix you can get.  These make me smile everyday. They are absolutely ******* insane if you wanna turn it up to levels of massive bass.  I sleep better at night knowing I have one set that will pound louder and deeper than my ears can handle without distortion concerns. I'm a bassaholic. These cans can cause hearing loss. If that is not attractive then I dunno what to say? The guy who just said these are lo-fi...I respect him tremendously gelocks.....his side comments about these being BASS Monsters were what sold me. He unintentionally hit my "on" switch and the rest is history. These are monsters bro....


I already have a set of HM5 earpads from mp4nation on my T50RP. Yup, not looking for a replacement for my other cans, looking for a set of "fun" cans and these seem to fit the equation pretty darned well.

 

I'll bug you for pictures later when I buy the actual pair, and how much do the cups cost, a rough idea since I assume I'll have to buy them separately?

post #687 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 Are you NOT amping these?

Thanks for the feedback btw.

I used to design tuned (ported) subwoofer enclosures. This can design has a lot of reasons to be exceptional in other genre and not too many not to be exceptional except the piping of the bass which is tuned and can be tuned up or down.

I will start doing light burn in just for the hell of it. 

 

I tell everyone who inquires about these to get an amp. For mega thunder claps and stuff:D....have you not been using an amp at all? I plugged these into my ipod classic (before the pad change and was not liking it) My cowon/amp combo......really nice.

 

My sources have more than enough juice to lift these, since the DX50 gives 3.1V on High Gain (which i barely use really, since i get more than enough with 210~220 on Low gain), and my Laptop gives me around 3V right out the Headphone out. If i'm considering an amp, is just for coloration and give me more power if i ever need it (Orthos maybe?). Adding an amp right now wouldn't do much of a difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

I cannot tell you that they "open" up as I don't really believe in stuff like that... Your ears/brain either interpret a pleasant sound signature or it does not... they can get used to a specific sound signature or they do not... I "burned" my SZ for a bunch of hours (as it was recommended by another member) and I still heard what I heard, HUGE bass presence, surprisingly forward mids but too much of a warm "veil" over the whole sound signature making them sound a bit "low-fi" (i.e. lacking clarity/sparkle). As an "overall" purchase I would not recommend them. As Bass Cannons, yeah, they are definitely that...

 

So conclusion, if you don't like them as they are right now, don't expect any miracles unless you get used to the sound... :D


I thought like that at first, they lacked clarity and they sounded veiled, which made me question if i did the right thing buying these. But i kept hearing them, using them for various things on my house (music, movies, games, n such), and they did change quite a bit. I still don't use them as my "portable" headphones, since the IM70 fit quite nice on that aspect. Whether they did change or my brain tricked me to justify the buy and they still sound like crap, wouldn't matter, since i'm quite pleased with them at the moment. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 


I already have a set of HM5 earpads from mp4nation on my T50RP. Yup, not looking for a replacement for my other cans, looking for a set of "fun" cans and these seem to fit the equation pretty darned well.

 

I'll bug you for pictures later when I buy the actual pair, and how much do the cups cost, a rough idea since I assume I'll have to buy them separately?

 

You could use either the same HM5, though they might not fit right, get the JVC XX pads, like Hawaiibadboy, or try the EDT770V from Beyerdynamic, like i did. They are a lot more options to try, and they might give you different results (i'm trying to get a pair of Alpha Pads, and a pair of LCD-2 Velour pads too, but those are a little more expensive).

post #688 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

I cannot tell you that they "open" up as I don't really believe in stuff like that... Your ears/brain either interpret a pleasant sound signature or it does not... they can get used to a specific sound signature or they do not... I "burned" my SZ for a bunch of hours (as it was recommended by another member) and I still heard what I heard, HUGE bass presence, surprisingly forward mids but too much of a warm "veil" over the whole sound signature making them sound a bit "low-fi" (i.e. lacking clarity/sparkle). As an "overall" purchase I would not recommend them. As Bass Cannons, yeah, they are definitely that...

So conclusion, if you don't like them as they are right now, don't expect any miracles unless you get used to the sound... biggrin.gif

Thanks. I tried to like them but the mids were way too veiled like people were singing through a sweat shirt. They really needed to perform a miracle for me to like them
post #689 of 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinit90 View Post
 


I already have a set of HM5 earpads from mp4nation on my T50RP. Yup, not looking for a replacement for my other cans, looking for a set of "fun" cans and these seem to fit the equation pretty darned well.

 

I'll bug you for pictures later when I buy the actual pair, and how much do the cups cost, a rough idea since I assume I'll have to buy them separately?

 

I'll do the pics when you need em' These look right @Kukyo  knows more than me about options. It is very very easy and fast though. 

 

 

 

EDT770s

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=asc_df_B008XHU9ZS3058736?tag=thefind0204396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B008XHU9ZS&linkCode=asn

 

 

It pulls off like so and you stretch the new ones over and in...it's easier than opening a new jar of peanut butter:D

 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 3/25/14 at 8:52pm
post #690 of 1541

Thanks mate, looks easy enough. Where can I buy the cups?

 

And where can I buy the SZ2000 for cheap? :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread