Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread - Page 42

post #616 of 1658

 

I looked at this for a long long time.

This is a basshead design not audiophiles. It has tuned ports built on a 55mm driver. It's rated to go down to 4Hz.....4....long past the audible. I have never heard Hip-Hop on headphones like this in my life. I got so excited at the shop I had to calm down...came here and saw the hype turned derail thread and never read anything to make me think I was hearing things. It was rumbling off my skull. Nobody was talking about hip-hop or eq induced slams. This is like the coolest headphone I have ever heard by a long shot. Right out the box it's playing beautifully and is maybe the most eq friendly design I have heard.It does whatever I eq it to do.  As it sits now the 77's are a shade harder hitting but they were tuned for weeks over and over until the slope matched the setup. This is about even right out of the box. The 55mm carbon Kelton Subwoofer is pretty much assuring me that with minor tweaks and just for kicks it will no doubt slam harder. It may be hard to distort if even possible??

 

  She's 55..made of nano tubes and just needs to produce bass. That's it. That's her job

 

 

 

 

The outside design is for at home the short cord is portable friendly only and it's got a dedicated subwoofer....hmmmmm...who would want that??....um.....a basshead.:D

post #617 of 1658

Gelocks, can u compare these to the dido we are auditioning?

post #618 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
 

Gelocks, can u compare these to the dido we are auditioning?

Are these the perfect sound 40mm? I got those to distort on my preferred eq slope. I'm actually trying to distort these JVC now and they are not with my e12 portable amp almost maxed. I'd say the Perfect Sound are about what they are called. Audiophile grade and priced step ups from the Beats series. These JVC are bass monsters but not audiophile cans. (They are for me but I'm a bassaholic)

 

 

Auditioning headphones?? Life is good huh! lol...I gotta buy mine :D

post #619 of 1658

Hello guys.

 

I no longer have these as I really didn't liked them... NOT because they are not basshead approved (Trust me... these things ARE CANNONS!!!) but their sound signature was just too "warm" for me and I've had my share of warm headphones but these didn't let me experience the rest of my music the same way that the Signature DJs, Dido's, or Denons do!

 

Their bass when EQ'ed further is HEADACHE INDUCING! Really, I almost threw up! LOL!!!!

But if you are looking for an "overall" can that can also reach deep down and thump, well, I guess it's up to user preference. I know for a fact that a few people I know like these. In fact, the person I sold them to, LOVES them!

 

If you want an impactful can and like/love a warm signature (goes over mids and highs almost like a "veil"...) then be sure to give these a try. Thing is though that these are still uber expensive ... I sold mine for just like $200...

 

 

Thanks.

post #620 of 1658

I like the bass of my TH600s, are these worth giving a go?

post #621 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post
 

I like the bass of my TH600s, are these worth giving a go?

 

If you listen to Hip Hop R&B EDM I would say yes. For 200 bucks? I have spent a lot more than that and gotten a lot less. 

If you like to try different hard to find stuff I'd recommend it highly as well. It's a collector type thing just for the concept. I'm an absolute basshead. These are the top of the mountain in low end reproduction. Like most JVC I have heard they are dark....in my music that's not a problem. 

If Rock and Roll is your main genre' glocks was saying it ain't good for that. I'd believe it though I never tried.

 

These were designed for folks with deep rumbling and slamming bass as a key point. because there is no crossover the 55mm is double ported to send low notes and the 30-33mm? 2nd driver will also hit a bass note so you get a tight hit and a low extension throw with the bass driver on the same low note...booom  and rumble....it is a new experience for me in headphone audio. 

I will not be buying any headphones for quite a while. It plays crisp and clear highs in my genre's but it is limited ..I have not heard that limitation but trust gelocks has a set of well tuned ears.

 

 

That's a sweet line you got. My thought is the sz2000 wont perform like that between 500 and 2.5k but will give you any line you want before the 500 mark and after 2k. It's a different line. It's 200 bucks but the tuning is very flexible because of the 2 ported tubes. It is an extremely exceptional performer in the lows and gives you your highs but it's not like Th600's. If you want more thump than the th600 from time to time I would very highly recommend it. It's the only headphone I would recommend.

 

Congrats on your cans. very nice set. Get these tanks for some cheaper deeper thrills :)

post #622 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

If you listen to Hip Hop R&B EDM I would say yes. For 200 bucks? I have spent a lot more than that and gotten a lot less. 
If you like to try different hard to find stuff I'd recommend it highly as well. It's a collector type thing just for the concept. I'm an absolute basshead. These are the top of the mountain in low end reproduction. Like most JVC I have heard they are dark....in my music that's not a problem. 
If Rock and Roll is your main genre' glocks was saying it ain't good for that. I'd believe it though I never tried.

These were designed for folks with deep rumbling and slamming bass as a key point. because there is no crossover the 55mm is double ported to send low notes and the 30-33mm? 2nd driver will also hit a bass note so you get a tight hit and a low extension throw with the bass driver on the same low note...booom  and rumble....it is a new experience for me in headphone audio. 
I will not be buying any headphones for quite a while. It plays crisp and clear highs in my genre's but it is limited ..I have not heard that limitation but trust gelocks has a set of well tuned ears.




That's a sweet line you got. My thought is the sz2000 wont perform like that between 500 and 2.5k but will give you any line you want before the 500 mark and after 2k. It's a different line. It's 200 bucks but the tuning is very flexible because of the 2 ported tubes. It is an extremely exceptional performer in the lows and gives you your highs but it's not like Th600's. If you want more thump than the th600 from time to time I would very highly recommend it. It's the only headphone I would recommend.

Congrats on your cans. very nice set. Get these tanks for some cheaper deeper thrills smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for such have an I depth response. Lately I've been listening to a lot of EDM, so much so that I'm finding it hard to listen to other music. When I do I tend to skip ahead a lot. So now over 90% of my listening choices is EDM especially trance which has a lot of synth so I can't have just bass. Anyhow, I've had my TH600s for a few months now and although when I first got them they were really really bassy in comparison to my other cans, I'm now left wanting more in some instances. Before the TH600 I was definitely not a basshead and was searching more for cans that are neutral, now I'm enjoying more bassier cans. My latest purchase is a yamaha hph 200 which is quite bassy and I enjoy a lot. Recently I've sold my Mad Dogs simply because they didn't stack up for EDM and we're gathering dust.

Sorry for the rant. In short the TH600 I think has made me a basshead.

How does one know they are a basshead?

Also I thought the evolution was:

1. You get into Headfi via beats because you like bass

2. You learn, listen more and like mids
and highs

Have I regressed? I'm looking for deep extended bass that does not bleed into the mids. Extended but not sibilant highs.

I have other cans for rock etc.
Edited by spurxiii - 3/10/14 at 11:45am
post #623 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


Thanks for such have an I depth response. Lately I've been listening to a lot of EDM, so much so that I'm finding it hard to listen to other music. When I do I tend to skip ahead a lot. So now over 90% of my listening choices is EDM especially trance which has a lot of synth so I can't have just bass. Anyhow, I've had my TH600s for a few months now and although when I first got them they were really really bassy in comparison to my other cans, I'm now left wanting more in some instances. Before the TH600 I was definitely not a basshead and was searching more for cans that are neutral, now I'm enjoying more bassier cans. My latest purchase is a yamaha hph 200 which is quite bassy and I enjoy a lot. Recently I've sold my Mad Dogs simply because they didn't stack up for EDM and we're gathering dust.

Sorry for the rant. In short the TH600 I think has made me a basshead.

How does one know they are a basshead?

Also I thought the evolution was:

1. You get into Headfi via beats because you like bass

2. You learn, listen more and like mids
and highs

Have I regressed? I'm looking for deep extended bass that does not bleed into the mids. Extended but not sibilant highs.

I have other cans for rock etc.


Denon's/Fostex cans make all of us what I consider audiophile bassheads.  That bass is just so perfect...................

post #624 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post




Also I thought the evolution was:

1. You get into Headfi via beats because you like bass

2. You learn, listen more and like mids
and highs

Have I regressed? I'm looking for deep extended bass that does not bleed into the mids. Extended but not sibilant highs.

I have other cans for rock etc.

 

 

#1 applies to me because a cheap set of JVC clearly in a side by side crushed my 300.00 beats at an audio shop here in Japan

Then I came here.

 

#2?? I tried that but I kept chasing a harder and deepr hit. Price was not the point. I'll pay. Bass depth and extension at higher quantities is not what a lot of people want. 

I kinda expected it would come along in increments of improvement with price bumps.....no....opposite sometimes.

 

I am done buying headphones since my goal has been reached by surprise and suddenly.

 

If I wanted boomy bass I woulda stayed with Beats studio or Pro. I wanted more. and I wanted it better deeper and tighter and with a harder hit. I found it  I didn't regress..I progressed.

post #625 of 1658

I ended up buying them, and i have to say, i'm a little dissapointed on the SQ. I guess i could've waited for more, but there's either a veil in the lower end, that affects the mids, or there's a phase problem with the drivers. I don't dislike them though, and i haven't given them enough burn-in time (i have a pair of S400, so i can understand the long period of burn-in). I was thinking about changing the pads on the SZ2000, and i was either considering the DT990 pads (which i already tested and they fit "ok"), or getting a pair of Alpha Pads. Does anyone knows if the Alpha Pads fit the SZ2000, not perfectly, but just enough so they get a lot more comfortable than the stock pads?

Regarding the TH600 and the SZ2000, if you want more bass, they are a good option, but you're going to give up a little balance between the frequencies, IMO the TH600 are a step up from the SZ2000, at least to my basshead taste (i like bass, but i like to listen to the rest of the frequencies too). I enjoyed the TH600 more the first time i tried them on, than the first time i tested the SZ2000.

post #626 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 

I ended up buying them, and i have to say, i'm a little dissapointed on the SQ. I guess i could've waited for more, but there's either a veil in the lower end, that affects the mids, or there's a phase problem with the drivers. I don't dislike them though, and i haven't given them enough burn-in time (i have a pair of S400, so i can understand the long period of burn-in). I was thinking about changing the pads on the SZ2000, and i was either considering the DT990 pads (which i already tested and they fit "ok"), or getting a pair of Alpha Pads. Does anyone knows if the Alpha Pads fit the SZ2000, not perfectly, but just enough so they get a lot more comfortable than the stock pads?

Regarding the TH600 and the SZ2000, if you want more bass, they are a good option, but you're going to give up a little balance between the frequencies, IMO the TH600 are a step up from the SZ2000, at least to my basshead taste (i like bass, but i like to listen to the rest of the frequencies too). I enjoyed the TH600 more the first time i tried them on, than the first time i tested the SZ2000.

? I only have experience with Hip Hop  So I'm not seeing the weakpoint. I'm sure you and gelocks are correct but for 20,000yen there are no other cans that amp the bass up higher. zero. the th600 and 900 are audiophile cans priced 3 times more and you get what you pay for but this kind of track  is what your paying for. If they has a audiophile spectrum they would not have been such a short lived series. They kick harder than your th600. They hit lower too.  Any pics of the rare beauties?

 

 

post #627 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

? I only have experience with Hip Hop  So I'm not seeing the weakpoint. I'm sure you and gelocks are correct but for 20,000yen there are no other cans that amp the bass up higher. zero. the th600 and 900 are audiophile cans priced 3 times more and you get what you pay for but this kind of track  is what your paying for. If they has a audiophile spectrum they would not have been such a short lived series. They kick harder than your th600. They hit lower too.  Any pics of the rare beauties?

 

 


I'm not saying they suck, but since they only are useful for one style of music (Hip-hop to you), i can guess why they were discontinued. Doesn't matter if it hits lower, when the subwoofer might be interfering with the 2nd driver. Yeah, it does hit low, and it does have a lot more "umph" than most headphones available for that amount of money, but my old Technics F550 did get as low as the SZ2000, and it only had one driver... (might even try to repair them, and compare...).

I'm not asking for audiophile spectrum, since i don't consider myself an audiophile, i only wish they were a little more balanced, while keeping the low end rumble. That veil doesn't let me enjoy music as much as i do with my ATH-M50's or my HD25's... I don't consider these a waste of money though, but i don't think i'll be using them that much (since Hip-Hop is not on my daily playlist, or even on my library...). They are pretty decent for movies though...


Edited by Kukyo - 3/10/14 at 7:51pm
post #628 of 1658
Quote:
  (since Hip-Hop is not on my daily playlist, or even on my library...). 

 

What is your source? How much do you amp? What are you listening to if not Hip hop on bass cannons? For future reference. 

 

 

Edited...I was being a fanboy and didn't realize...to each his own :D 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 3/10/14 at 8:13pm
post #629 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

What is your source? How much do you amp? What are you listening to if not Hip hop on bass cannons? For future reference. 

 

 

Edited...I was being a fanboy and didn't realize...to each his own :D 

 

Source is either my DX50, with no amp, and my laptop with Beats Audio (which is a fancy name for the Realtek card with some fancy audio drivers which suck, i have it disabled, using Wasapi + Foobar2000). I barely amp, since i don't really like amping. I consider my sources to be enough for average use, though i'm considering getting an O2 clone. Music-wise, i use them for either EDM, Dubstep, or some Metal, since everything else sounds a little veiled (Female vocals, NIN, Tool, etc.).

post #630 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 

 

Source is either my DX50, with no amp, and my laptop with Beats Audio (which is a fancy name for the Realtek card with some fancy audio drivers which suck, i have it disabled, using Wasapi + Foobar2000). I barely amp, since i don't really like amping. I consider my sources to be enough for average use, though i'm considering getting an O2 clone. Music-wise, i use them for either EDM, Dubstep, or some Metal, since everything else sounds a little veiled (Female vocals, NIN, Tool, etc.).

 Gotcha!

I amp these very heavily as the first guy to review these said the Nanotube diaphrams could take and infact needed them to shine. I have never heard them without an amp so we are hearing them differently. Are they the sz2000 or sz1000 because my cups are gyro on the sz2000. If you get an amp try ....just for fun ...to send a lot of juice into them. They seem to like it and maybe need it. The ist reviewer and 2nd in this thread and I agree that with an amp the bass crosses over into insane territory (hence me buying them:D)

 

For rock and Roll and classic these will never do it..gelocks said it and I buy it. For EDM? I think an amp and some playing around can get you happy. The low end tuning flexibility is pretty good. you can do a lot of bending with that low end slope.

 

Look forward to any mod with new pads.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread