Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread - Page 52

post #766 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick123194 View Post
 

I just got these cans in... I wasn't impressed with the bass without an amp... but with an fiio e18 at volume 6 gain on high and bass on these cans are heavenly. I usually blast my amp at max volumes but these cans seriously mess up one's hearing. It's actually possible to listen to the at max volume with the gain off. if you leave the gain on you'll seriously damage your eardrums.

 

 

Yeah these are NOT low energy low volume cans. They need juice and will  threaten your future hearing test scores.

I highly recommend the pad switch. The bass isn't diminished but the mids and highs are better because they get off your ears..

The bass is nutz. First time In the headphone world I ever considered the safety of my ears. No joke. 3 good Hip Hop bass tracks back to back to back and my ears were doing that .mmmmmmzzzzzzz (a.k.a. ringing) 

Must amp and push the low end up ( the whole things blooms at high power maybe related to the cnt drivers?) 

post #767 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

Ordered the SZ2000 out of curiousity today. Let us see how they compare to the Ultrasone Signature Dj when they arrive.

HBB you got me interested. Btw. where did you get that these are discontinued? On the German JVC page they are listed as active.

:beerchug: 

A Japanese shop had them listed as discontinued by manufacturer but another says nothing. They are not listen on the JVC active products page in Japan. Pretty sure of that.

 

 

Boost the sz @50Hz by at least 15db and turn the amp up until you cannot feel it is wise to continue. Then switch to the Ultrasone. I love your cans btw. I find the Pro 900 to have a peerless upper bass hit but overall 20-120 Hz I find these to be without known peer. These are not for critical listening. Not for me. These are Hip Hop cans. Please compare this hit at all cans limit or your ears. With amp...these love amp and low boost they should  These are not basstronic crap. They reproduce Hip Hip type mixes with authority at high volume. The Ultra's have a high that can over whelm (some) These will tie in right about when you start thinking it's not wise to push your eardrums further. It's the only cans I could find on my singular focus hunt of low end /high amp no distort.

 

If you can ...change the pads. Opens the mids a bit and gives the bass tubes more space to shoot at your head!!

post #768 of 1263

Just received my Fiio E12. After using the E12 I discovered that my Fiio E5 was the one distorting the soundcard source! The E5 is supposed to be capable of handling high input voltages up to 1.27V, but it gives up when I raise the volume to 80-90%. I didn't know my onboard card could output higher than that.

 

With my E12 I can set my digital volume to 100% (I read that anything less than 100% reduces bit depth) and adjust with the analog potentiometer in the E12.

 

Maybe the E5 is louder, but with the E12 at maximum volume w/ bass boost on, the SZ2000 loses bass control at 94% soundcard volume when playing Flo Rida - Low. The SZ actually distorts the bass at 60% soundcard volume in the E5 w/ max volume and bass boost on. For all other music, the E12 can go maximum and the soundcard at 100% and there is no distortion at all in the SZ! Wow!

 

I don't even know if I still have a pain threshold lol! I just know that the SZ bass reaches loud enough for me. And that is dangerously loud for even most bassheads.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

 

I was about to post a "HELP ME" post because I cannot get the cans to hit as hard with my Audigy 2ZS like with my amp. It will go low but at high volume it is thin. You guys say it is no difference so I need some lessons. Amp v.s. soundcard with great eq software is not getting me results like yours?

 

You have an expensive soundcard. As you've seen with my settings, I rely on the Windows bass boost, but it depends on the soundcard driver. You can download a compatible soundcard driver with all the Windows enhancements activated, but that's kind of a hassle and you most likely won't be impressed much by the bass boost coming from the Cowon iAudio Mach3Bass.

 

I'm really interested in getting a digiZoid ZO. My Cowon iAudio U3 is only 1GB so I can't do most of my listening there.

post #769 of 1263
Where can I get these pads?! I felt that the mids and highs could still be improved.
post #770 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSmiley View Post
 

J For all other music, the E12 can go maximum and the soundcard at 100% and there is no distortion at all in the SZ! Wow!

 

I don't even know if I still have a pain threshold lol! I just know that the SZ bass reaches loud enough for me. And that is dangerously loud for even most bassheads.

 

 

 

 

LOL<<< I mean that in a good way

 

If I lay the e12 upside down the volume starts at 1am (on) and I'm incrementaly working the bass up like overclocking a CPU. I have it at about 6:15. juuuust past straight down 6pm.

Your a psycho:L3000:

 

 

 

I hope folks share their amp

 

e-5

e12

e18 

 

max bass listening levels as a ref point that we can share. It just a typical deep hard hit that is a "x" marks the spot. 

 

I love the e12 btw.Glad you got one. it puts out a lot of power for its size with very very low freq dist. .00003 or something like that. Good buy!!

post #771 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick123194 View Post

Where can I get these pads?! I felt that the mids and highs could still be improved.

One sz user uses these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=asc_df_B008XHU9ZS3058736?tag=thefind0204396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B008XHU9ZS&linkCode=asn

 

I'd pick

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

 

I use

pads taken off my jvc 55x

 

Clearly getting a driver cage off your ear helps. You'll enjoy the sound a lot more then.

 

Please share best amp and bass settings you use.

This track should make your face and upper neck jiggle. 

 

post #772 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

Ordered the SZ2000 out of curiousity today. Let us see how they compare to the Ultrasone Signature Dj when they arrive.

HBB you got me interested. Btw. where did you get that these are discontinued? On the German JVC page they are listed as active.

:beerchug: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick123194 View Post
 

I just got these cans in... I wasn't impressed with the bass without an amp... but with an fiio e18 at volume 6 gain on high and bass on these cans are heavenly. I usually blast my amp at max volumes but these cans seriously mess up one's hearing. It's actually possible to listen to the at max volume with the gain off. if you leave the gain on you'll seriously damage your eardrums.

 

Yeah, if you don't listen loud, you most likely won't appreciate how loud the SZ can sustain low frequencies without losing control. Such headphones are extremely rare--perhaps because extreme bassheads are just as rare. Though I don't know about planar magnetic headphones and their bass capabilities.

 

For quality (usually related to frequency response), there is always EQ.

 

In some metal tracks that aren't as bass-heavy as modern rap and hip-hop tracks, I can set my soundcard volume to 100% and my E12 to max volume (the midrange to high frequencies are lowered to -18dB) with no distortion. Maybe I should try turning on the E12 gain switch because I'm not used to headphones NOT distorting like this d:

 

I'm really happy you like the SZ @Nick123194 and that you know how to use them!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick123194 View Post

Where can I get these pads?! I felt that the mids and highs could still be improved.

 

I started with the JVC HA-MR77X with a recessed midrange, and I fixed that using a parametric EQ, Equalizer APO for Windows. My config.txt (tutorial here) is this:

 

Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 25,0 Hz Gain 15,0 dB Q 1,000
Filter 2: ON  PEQ     Fc 3000 Hz   Gain 5.00 dB  BW Oct 4.000

 

Filter 1 adds significant bass depth and enhances subbass rumble.

Filter 2 restores the recessed midrange of the MR77X. I still keep the same settings for the SZ2000.

Above this, I set the Windows bass boost to Frequency: 50Hz and Level: 18dB, and this basically sets 50Hz (wide band) at 0dB and everything else at -18dB. This way, I can listen to as much bass as I want without getting deafened by the mid to high frequencies. I'm actually very sensitive to those latter frequencies so they still sound clear to me.

 

Personally, I returned to stock pads for comfort. Although the stock pads do leak sound, so the SZ may sound weak at normal volume. The MR77X pads do add "room gain" and enhance the sound and the bass impact.

post #773 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

Ordered the SZ2000 out of curiousity today. Let us see how they compare to the Ultrasone Signature Dj when they arrive.

HBB you got me interested. Btw. where did you get that these are discontinued? On the German JVC page they are listed as active.

:beerchug: 

 

I misread your post the 1st time. Sorry.

 

The Pro 900 you had before would be comparable in 80-120Hz impact but not mid to low bass. The sz dominate the sones in force and rumble. 55mm v.s. 40/50mm cnt v.s. mylar or titanium. In coated form cnt is 16x stronger than titanium so these need a lot of power to bloom and smash ear drums.

The Ultrasone have a clarity that these sz do not. If the Sig Dj's are your pref signature sound these sz are not that. They have a low-fi veiled feel without a pad switch but the low end torque is well beyond the sone's with the Pro 900 being the only similar sone in bass that i have heard. These are bass cannons. They will play anything really but they are not sones. You ready to feel the bass?? That's what these do 1st and foremost....the rest is up to eq'ing which they accept pretty well.

 

I owned the Sig Pro's briefly and the Hfi 580 a while

 

 

 

The sz bass is a big step up from the 580 and Sig pro. The Pro 900...that's a cannon but it won't go low enough and hit hard enough for me. 

No matter what i hope you have an amp and can boost the freq's. 

 

A head massage and some music at the same time....good stuff yo!!;)


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 4/10/14 at 12:10am
post #774 of 1263

Funny you guys are talking about the pads, I was fiddling around with mine today because I was getting annoyed with them and had a moment of genius.

 

I was about to take one off when I realized there is a ton of room between the underside of the pad and the grill. Just to try it out real quick I rolled up some toilet paper and jammed it in there. I don't know if I have a pair of dumbo ears so the effect is amplified for me, but man, these things are like an entirely different pair of cans. All of those tracks that I was saying were flat slam harder than my XB700s now. You can easily get a 1/4in piece of foam in there, or any other material that suits your fancy for that matter. Not only do they sound way better, they are a million times more comfortable.

post #775 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subere View Post
 

Funny you guys are talking about the pads, I was fiddling around with mine today because I was getting annoyed with them and had a moment of genius.

 

I was about to take one off when I realized there is a ton of room between the underside of the pad and the grill. Just to try it out real quick I rolled up some toilet paper and jammed it in there. I don't know if I have a pair of dumbo ears so the effect is amplified for me, but man, these things are like an entirely different pair of cans. All of those tracks that I was saying were flat slam harder than my XB700s now. You can easily get a 1/4in piece of foam in there, or any other material that suits your fancy for that matter. Not only do they sound way better, they are a million times more comfortable.

 

I'd double rec you if I could.

wtf was JVC thinking to put them right on your ear??  Since you own them already I'm not selling you. I listen to Motown with these and they are spectacular with big cups and not at all with the originals? The bass hit is more vicious as it has something to transfer the energy through (the extended pads. ) With bigger pads everything gets better and nothing seems to be lost? 

 

Thanks for the tip for folks rightfully thinking..."I gotta buy ******* pads??"  Nobody should have to modify a set of new cans for better listening but it is what it is.....and your Macgyver tip just saved some folks.

 

Thanks!!:D

 

rec'd!

post #776 of 1263
The HE500 or Mad Dogs have hardly any sub bass in comparison to the SZ. They're not bass head cans. None of the planers I've heard are
post #777 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

I misread your post the 1st time. Sorry.

 

The Pro 900 you had before would be comparable in 80-120Hz impact but not mid to low bass. The sz dominate the sones in force and rumble. 55mm v.s. 40/50mm cnt v.s. mylar or titanium. In coated form cnt is 16x stronger than titanium so these need a lot of power to bloom and smash ear drums.

The Ultrasone have a clarity that these sz do not. If the Sig Dj's are your pref signature sound these sz are not that. They have a low-fi veiled feel without a pad switch but the low end torque is well beyond the sone's with the Pro 900 being the only similar sone in bass that i have heard. These are bass cannons. They will play anything really but they are not sones. You ready to feel the bass?? That's what these do 1st and foremost....the rest is up to eq'ing which they accept pretty well.

 

I owned the Sig Pro's briefly and the Hfi 580 a while

 

 

 

The sz bass is a big step up from the 580 and Sig pro. The Pro 900...that's a cannon but it won't go low enough and hit hard enough for me. 

No matter what i hope you have an amp and can boost the freq's. 

 

A head massage and some music at the same time....good stuff yo!!;)

Oh I am very flexible regards sound signatures, as long as I get good bass and non piercing treble.... Let us see how I like my new incoming toys... The engneering that went into those seems to be reason enough to give them a good chance on my skull.

post #778 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 

Oh I am very flexible regards sound signatures, as long as I get good bass and non piercing treble.... Let us see how I like my new incoming toys... The engneering that went into those seems to be reason enough to give them a good chance on my skull.

Cool.

The complexity of the bass assembly inside the cups is the reason I will not even part with them. Holding my fingers on the metal cap and feeling that 55mm cnt driver put in work is nice...very nice.

Like everybody has said....amp. 

post #779 of 1263

 

 

@PocketSmiley   

 

I had to share this. (this is Pocket's test graph)

This would permanently cripple a lot of cans. ( I test with about 6dB less than this from 25-50Hz  and THAT chokes almost every can I have handled)

Tell me the sz's are still alive:D 


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 4/14/14 at 7:03am
post #780 of 1263
Have mine on right now. Will test it later tonight. So far it sounds good out of my Ipod Classic / Fiio E12 combo. A bit veiled in the treble region, but it is too early to describe. Bass impact is superb though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread