Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best OPAMP upgrade for the Matrix M-Stage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best OPAMP upgrade for the Matrix M-Stage

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

Just about to pull the trigger on an M-Stage but was wondering which way to go with OPAMPS if I want a bit more clarity and excitement to the sound reproduction.

 

I use HD 650's and want to make sure I get as much detail retrieval as possible. I am coming from a set of q701s which I thought did this very well!

 

Any info would be great!

post #2 of 17

Muse are getting a lot attention right now
 

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Any particular model mate?

post #4 of 17
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks a lot.

 

What sound signature differences do these have over the popular OPA627's? 

 

I also dont know what the differences are (other than price) between the OPA627 variants? ie OPA627AU, OPA627BP etc??

post #6 of 17
E7402_Xonar_Essence_One_OP_AMP_SWAP_manual.pdf 474k .pdf file

 

Here's a PDF that has a pretty good list of op-amps and some general characteristics, it appears the Muse's are very good, in every respect. read the Asus review on the main Head-fi page, they seem fairly impressed with the unit when upgraded to these. I personally haven't done any op-amp swapping, My RS Predator can't be modded.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition/reviews/8824
 

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

Thanks a lot.

What sound signature differences do these have over the popular OPA627's? 

I also dont know what the differences are (other than price) between the OPA627 variants? ie OPA627AU, OPA627BP etc??

I don't think you'll hear any difference between the various OPA627 variants, I can barely hear the difference between an OPA627 and an LM4562, but I do have a preference for the LM4562.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your input.

 

Do different opamps assist in the amount of power to drive the headphones?

 

I just want to make sure I give my HD 650's everything they need.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

Thanks for your input.

Do different opamps assist in the amount of power to drive the headphones?

I just want to make sure I give my HD 650's everything they need.

In the Matrix M Stage, changing the Op Amp will not increase the amount of output power available.

Some other headphone amps may get more or less output power by swapping Op Amps.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

Thanks for your input.

 

Do different opamps assist in the amount of power to drive the headphones?

 

I just want to make sure I give my HD 650's everything they need.

 

The list of opamps in the PDF is nice, you should additionally consider OPA827, OPA602BP, OPA209, OPA228, OPA1641, and OPA1612 to the list.  evil_smiley.gif

LM4562/LME49720, 827, and 1612 need extra psu bypass capacitors to truly shine.  It's identical as what others do to the Audio-gd opamps using Mundorf or Russian PIO capacitors, if you've read about that.

 

I would personally pair HD6x0 with OPA827 or OPA602.  Clear, neutral chips with excellent soundstaging, 827 a bit more so than 602.  827 is a bit fuller in sound than 602.  The low bass is lacking in 827 without at least a ceramic byapss cap.  It sounds best with a ceramic + Vishay MKP1837 caps.  602 sounds best with a ceramic + 10uF tantalum caps.

post #11 of 17

Hey there, 

 

I just bought a Matrix M-Stage and I am also considering an OPAMP upgrade. Did you ever discover anything in regard to Burr Brown OPA627AP vs others?

 

Thanks!

post #12 of 17

As far as M-Stage opamps are concerned the best thing you can do is to bias your opamp in class A.

The bias itself provides, to my ears, the most meaningful upgrade and the stock OPA2134 works very well with that.

 

 

Other chips might improve or change the sound a bit more, but once you perform the bias the differences will be marginal.

In my M-stage I settled with an OPA2227 I had from an old cmoy project. 

Before it I had a ready made class a biased OPA627 from Tam Audio, but despite the high praises I couldn't notice a meaningful change in the sound from opa2227 (it was better that stock 2134, but not by much).

So I ended up selling it.

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post

As far as M-Stage opamps are concerned the best thing you can do is to bias your opamp in class A.
The bias itself provides, to my ears, the most meaningful upgrade and the stock OPA2134 works very well with that.


Other chips might improve or change the sound a bit more, but once you perform the bias the differences will be marginal.
In my M-stage I settled with an OPA2227 I had from an old cmoy project. 
Before it I had a ready made class a biased OPA627 from Tam Audio, but despite the high praises I couldn't notice a meaningful change in the sound from opa2227 (it was better that stock 2134, but not by much).
So I ended up selling it.

I'm not a big fan of the Class A biased OPA627. Too warm for my taste.

I preferred the LM4562 Op Amp. Very clean, clear and transparent.
post #14 of 17

Hi Chris,

 

Is this authentic? Where would you buy the LM4562? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM4562NA-Dual-High-Performance-Audio-Op-Amp-IC-LM4562-/360324403926?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

 

It seems cheap enough that there's no reason why not to give it a shot :) 

 

I also bought the Brown Burr OPA627, and I think it'd be interesting to compare the two.

 

Thanks!

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedbacon View Post

Hi Chris,

Is this authentic? Where would you buy the LM4562? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM4562NA-Dual-High-Performance-Audio-Op-Amp-IC-LM4562-/360324403926?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

It seems cheap enough that there's no reason why not to give it a shot smily_headphones1.gif 

I also bought the Brown Burr OPA627, and I think it'd be interesting to compare the two.

Thanks!

There's so many fakes out there that I would buy from someone reputable like Newark or Mouser or Parts Connexion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best OPAMP upgrade for the Matrix M-Stage