Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Whats a good AMP/DAC combo for Grado 225s please (500 or less)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats a good AMP/DAC combo for Grado 225s please (500 or less)?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

I just bought the 225s last week after the great meetup in New York.

 

I heard loads of great amps at the meet but am relatively new to DACs and Amps.

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

post #2 of 32
Thread Starter 

If it helps at all i am using a Samsung laptop as a source.

 

I already have a Fiio E11 for portable use.

 

I heard the Firefly at the headphone meet in NY and was really impressed, but its a little pricey for me.

 

All advice will be gratefully revieved

post #3 of 32

I've really enjoyed my Grado 325is with the Little Dot I+, but I'm using a FiiO E7 for the DAC. I'm considering replacing it with a better DAC so I would be interested to hear any suggestions as well.

post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 

Ah, ive been looking up the Little Dots, they seem a good match for grados generally. The main DACs recommended seem to be quite expensive, why are you looking to get a better DAC, is upgrading the amp not more important?

 

Thanks!

post #5 of 32

I'm getting some jitter from the FiiO (I guess that's what it is) - sounds like interruptions in the data stream. Its rare, but it happens occasionally. I'm a bit unclear as to how much affect the DAC has on the sound quality. Seeing $400-$1000 DACs out there makes me wonder how they compare to a $100 DAC/AMP combo built mostly for portability.

 

As for the Little Dot, I think I'm happy enough with it. I've tried it with multiple sources, swapped a few tubes and opamps and feel like spending more at this point would be a waste on my ears and with my sources.

post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgreville View Post

Ah, ive been looking up the Little Dots, they seem a good match for grados generally. The main DACs recommended seem to be quite expensive, why are you looking to get a better DAC, is upgrading the amp not more important?

 

Thanks!

 



the hrt microstreamer is great, it is dac, and headphone amp, i have sr225's and ms1's, it sounds great with both, then i added a fiio eo9k amp, i love the sound, the micro is $190 US, the fiio just over $100 us, i got both on amazon, for around $300 its a killer set up.

if that a little much, start with just the hrt, its headamp is very good !  ad an amp later if desired

post #7 of 32

Were you looking for a 1 piece unit, amp and dac combo? If not you could get a M&M (Magni/Modi) for $200 and have a pretty nice starter rig.

post #8 of 32
m&m is good, the 225s dont need too much amping to sound great
post #9 of 32
Thread Starter 

Anybody try the headroom Micro DAC and Micro Amp?

post #10 of 32

After I posted about the M&M setup another thought came to my mind. They make an ODAC/O2 unit, and they actually mount the ODAC inside the same case as the O2. I think that goes for around 350 on the JDS site. That is a nice unit or at least a lot of people on these forums like it and it would give you everything in one box. I have not actually heard the O2 but as I said a lot of people really like it.

post #11 of 32
Thread Starter 

Ive seen loads of good stuff about the O2, not sure where i could try one in Ireland (or the UK even, i go there pretty regularly). Ill take a look at more reviews thanks HPiper

post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 

Looks like the M&M works for US only (http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-magni/) unless somebody comes up with an Irish/UK wall wart!

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

I'm getting some jitter from the FiiO (I guess that's what it is) - sounds like interruptions in the data stream. Its rare, but it happens occasionally. I'm a bit unclear as to how much affect the DAC has on the sound quality. Seeing $400-$1000 DACs out there makes me wonder how they compare to a $100 DAC/AMP combo built mostly for portability.

 

As for the Little Dot, I think I'm happy enough with it. I've tried it with multiple sources, swapped a few tubes and opamps and feel like spending more at this point would be a waste on my ears and with my sources.

 

Jitter requires special instruments to detect and measure.  It is small timing errors in the digital signal from what I've read around here.  Clicks and pops are something else entirely.  You might be able to remedy the situation by adjusting the latency in ASIO and/or whatever program you use for playback.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgreville View Post

Looks like the M&M works for US only (http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-magni/) unless somebody comes up with an Irish/UK wall wart!

 

The Modi runs off of USB power (5V/120ma), so you can get that one at least and then pair it with some other amp or get a Magni and buy a voltage step-up/down converter/transformer thing.

post #14 of 32

After reading Mad Max's post I checked on the JDS web site and the ODAC/O2 should work well for you in Ireland. The ODAC is powered off the USB port of your PC just like the Modi and they sell a Euro/UK power transformer for the O2 (just make sure you ask for it). Not trying to sell you on that particular unit but I know the power thing in europe can be a problem with a lot of american electronics. I lived in England for 6 years and all the adapters I had to have was amazing!

post #15 of 32
Thread Starter 

Thansk a million guys

 

So i could go with a Modi and a little dot, or the ODAC/O2 with UK/Ireland power adapter!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Whats a good AMP/DAC combo for Grado 225s please (500 or less)?