Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KEF new headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF new headphones! - Page 27

post #391 of 668
OK, as promised here is some A/B/C/D testing between the M500, MDR1R (dynamat modded), SRH940, and UE900 (this is my best IEM and since these are portable I thought it would be nice to have one IEM in the mix). I may comment on the DT1350 from memory a bit as well but will do so only a bit and in areas like comfort and stability. All of testing will be done from my Nokia 920 phone using 256K/VBR files that come either from Apple at that bitrate or have been converted from my owned ripped CD which have been ripped to FLAC.

Comfort wise I would rank the headphones as follows MDR1R > SRH940 = M500 = UE900 >> M80 = DT1350.

Stability wise I would rank them UE900 = SRH940 > MDR1R > M80 = M500. I was surprised to find the M80 was no more stable than the M500. I wish both headphones had a similar headband system as the DT 1350 at it would make them much more stable.

Pink Floyd The Wall (Deluxe Experience Edition) In the Flesh (Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81 Pt. 2)

SRH-940 - At low volume listening this song is extremely clean, detailed, and vibrant with a massive sound stage. The entire experience is very cohesive and musical. The bass is present and full, the mids are perfect, and the treble is also perfectly balance. At mid volume levels the sound remains enjoyable and become more engaging. At mid-hi volume levels the treble starts to become a bit harsh.

M500 - At low volume listening everything is extremely clean, detailed and vibrant with an average sound stage. In comparison to the 940, the mids are slightly brighter sounding and cymbals are bit sharper sounding. At mid volume level the bass really starts to assert itself but not in an oppressive way, the mids become much more in your face and cymbals become a bit less sharp in comparison to the rest of the sound. At mid-hi volume the bass increases yet again and the mids become a bit warmer while the treble remains very balanced.

V-Moda M80 - At low volume listening the M80 is warm sounding and clean with less emphasis in the bass and treble than the M500 or 940, the sound stage is larger than the M500 but smaller than the 940 but it feels slightly artificial. At mid-volume levels the bass increases but lacks the punchiness of the M500, the mids stay warm and enjoyable, the treble while rolled off compared to the 940 and M500 still remains pleasant and relatively detailed. At mid-hi volume levels the sound continues to sound like the mid volume except for being louder. This headphone maintains a very consistent sound experience at different volume levels.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At low volume listening this headphone sounds distant and muffled and a strong midrange emphasis that is warm and lush, the bass has a hint of a mid-bass hump, the sound stage is slightly larger than everything except the 940 and does not sound artificial. At mid volume the bass becomes very mid-bass dominant with a hollow feel to it, the mids continue to be warm and lush, the treble improves and comes a bit more inline with rest of the sound but is still rolled off even compared to the M80. At mid-hi volume levels the bass just gets stronger and more humped in the mid-bass, the mids stay strong and the treble improves a bit more.

UE900 - at low volume listening levels the song is very clean clean, detailed and vibrant with a sound stage that is about the size of the M80 but with better 3D spatial qualities and sounds completely natural, while the 940 is still larger the UE900 is very enjoyable. At mid volume levels everything remains in balance like they did at the low volume levels. At mid-hi volume levels these continue to be similarly balanced as they were at low volume levels. The UE900 seems to do cymbals the most realistically and offers the most balanced midrange of all the headphones.

I would say 940 and M500 have somewhat similar signatures at low volume levels with the M500 starting to have a much stronger bass as they get louder. The M500 is a bit higher pitched in the mids as compared to the 940 though. The M80 and MDR1R are definitely more mid centric with the MDR1R being the lowest quality sound wise of all the headphones. The UE900 was for me the best for sound with this song but it also had the least bass presence.

UE900 > SRH940 > M500 >> M80 >> MDR1R

Heart Greatest Hits - Magic Man

UE900 - At lower volumes this song is detailed, clean and fun to listen to with a decent sound stage that again exhibits string spatial qualities. At mid volume levels the bass picks up nicely and the mids are present and rich with the treble maintaining it's detail without coming across as to bright. At mid-hi volumes the magic just continues with the same even presentation.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At low volume level listening the 1R again sounds subdued and a bit muffled. The mids are again lush and the bass is showing the mid-bass hump and the treble is rolled off and lacks detail. At mid volume level the bass fits this song well and is quite enjoyable, the mids continue to be lush and enjoyable, and the treble while still being in the background is a bit more presesnt. At mid-hi volume levels the headphone continues the traits exhibited at the mid volume level. The sound stage is slightly larger than average.

M80 - Low volume listening is vibrant and clear with the same mid range emphasis, the bass and treble are both rolled off slightly but both are still nicely presented, the sound stage is larger than average but does not feel artificial with this track. At mid volume levels the sound is again very similar to the low volume listening with everything just becoming fuller. At mid-hi volume the signature just continues to be the same.

M500 - Low volume listening the song is detailed, clean, enjoyable, the bass is nicely present, the mids are a bit thinner than the other headphones, and the treble is sharp and nicely extended. The sound stage is average. At mid volume levels the bass becomes very full and present and compliments the song very well, the mids start to flesh out a bit better and lose some of their thinness, the treble remains clear and extended. At mid-ho volume levels the mid level signature just continues at a louder volume level.

SRH940 - Low volume listening the song is a bit bass shy, has clean detailed mids and treble and sounds a bit distant which is likely due to the larger sound stage. At mid volume the bass is nicely present but less than all the other headphones except the UE900. The mids are very detailed and rich sounding and the treble is clear and detailed. At mid-hi volumes the bass keeps pass and the mids continue to be perfect, the treble starts to get a bit too hot though.

This song levels the playing field alot as each headphone worked fairly well with the song. I again preferred the UE900 the most, the M80 was the next best at low volume level followed by the M500, the 940 and MDR1R were both not as good at low volume levels. In the mid volume levels they all sounded very nice playing off each headphones strengths. The M500 definitely was very good especially if you want more bass presence that is nicely controlled.

UE900 > M500 > SRH940 = M80 > MDR1R

Loreena McKennit The Wind that Shakes the Barley - The Wind that Shakes the Barley

M500 - At lower volume levels this song sounds very intimate and detailed, the bass line is fully present and adds to the songs presence. At mid volume level the intimacy is increased and the bass is about as much as I would like. At mid-hi volume the vocals get too close and the bass line starts to be to strong for the song. The sound stage become more cramped as the volume is increased.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At lower volume levels there is the same sense of muffled sound but is not as noticeable as with the classic rock, the bass line sounds nice full as well. At mid volume levels this song sounds very good with the bass line being very nice. At mid-hi volumes the bass line becomes a bit over bearing but the vocals never sound to close or shouty.

SRH940 - At lower volume levels the song is detailed and clean but does sound a bit distant, the bass line is present but weaker than the 1R or the M500. At mid volume levels the song sounds perfectly balanced with the bass line being full but again not as strong as the M500 or 1R. At mid-hi volume the sound is very balanced and pleasant and never shouty in the mids or over blown in the bass. The sound stage is the best on this headphone.

M80 - Lower volume listening is clean and mid centric, the bass line is right in between the M500 and the 940. At mid volume levels the vocals are wonderful and the bass line offers the best balance out of the headphones so far. At mid-hi volume levels the singing is not quite as balanced as the 940 but not as shouty as the M500 and the bass line is still acceptable. The sound stage is above average but not as good as the 940.

UE900 - At low volume levels the mids are clear with a touch of warmth, the bass line is clean and present but less heavy than any of the headphones. At mid volume levels the bass comes in a bit clearer but is still weaker than the other headphones. At mid-hi volume levels the bass becomes quite nice but the vocals get a bit to heavy while never quite crossing the line into shouty.

I found the M80 to do this genre the best, followed closely by the 940 and UE900. The M500 and 1R's added bass presence work well at lower volume levels but become a bit over powering at mid-hi volume levels. The M500 came across as a bit shouty at mid-hi volume levels.

M80 > SRH940 = UE900 > MDR1R > M500

Patricia Barber The Cole Porter Mix - Get out of Town

UE-900 - At low volume listening the song sounds slightly warm and engaging with the bass line being present but without to much weight, the cymbals sounds very clear and present. At mid volume the guitar becomes very present and clear with the cymbals becoming very forward and engaging, the vocals are very intimate like your sitting in a small jazz club at the front. At and mid-hi volumes the sound becomes to strong but remains perfectly clear.

M500 - At low volume levels the bass line is nicely present but the mids and cymbals sound a bit distant as do the vocals which also sound a bit brighter. The overall sound is brighter and a bit thin. At mid volume levels the signature evens out in the mids and treble gaining some more presence and warmth while the bass increases nicely. At mid-hi volume levels the bass almost crosses the line into to strong but is very nice. This track sounded very good with the M500.

M80 - At low volume levels the bass is nice and the mids sound very clear and the cymbals sound clear but not as crisp or as present as the M500 or UE900. At Mid volume levels the vocals stay nice and clean and the bass is nice but not quite as present as the M500, the treble improves but is more in the back ground compared to the first 2 IEM's. At mid-hi volumes the upper mids start to get shouty, the bass also starts to show more of a mid-bass hump.

SRH940 - At low volume levels the 940 sounds a bit distant while still being nicely detailed, the bass line is present but subdued, vocals are very neutral, treble is a bit sharper for instruments like cymbals. At mid volume levels the bass starts to be more present but is still a bit subdued, guitars sound very clean and cymbals maintain their presence but become more balanced to the rest of the sound. At mid-hi volume the 940 sounds extremely balanced and wonderfully detailed.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At lower volumes the bass is present but a bit muddy, the vocals are lush but a bit on the soft side, cymbals are bit subdued. At mid volume levels the bass gains some clarity but borders on being to strong, the guitars sound very nice and cymbals gain some clarity, vocals sound warm and intimate. At mid-hi volumes the bass does not become to much and the vocals sound clean with cymbals maintaining their clarity. The 1R sounds more romantic than the other headphones.

This is the first genre where I found myself liking the M500 a lot and strangely enough I also enjoyed the MDR1R more as well even though it's signature is quite different. I think this genre is more balanced than the others I have tried so far.

M500 = SRH940 = UE900 > MDR1R > M80

I am going to stop for now but will add a couple of classical tracks to this comparison later as well as some samples from another source.
post #392 of 668

Great comparison.

One issue I have is that I barely find the soundstage of the M-80  acceptable, any smaller than this is a big negative in my view.

Wish they came out with a 2.0 or just a open full sized where they added a bit more soundstage. They clearly know how to design and implement drivers.

post #393 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by egokun View Post
Oh wow.

From a long-time fan of the ATH-AD2000, this is the best praise I could hope to read for the M500. If Asr liked the KEF, I can safely assume I'm gonna like it as much.

I just can't wait for my M500 to get here!

 

The AD2K and M500 don't have much in common - well, with the exception of some mid-range magic but in different ways. My love of the M500 actually comes mostly from my love of the Grado HP1000. That's probably an obscure reference for most current Head-Fiers, since the HP1000 has been discontinued for years and is rarely seen at meets now, but that's the closest-sounding reference to the M500 that I can cite.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
Very nice impressions, Asr... I appreciate the enthusiasm. I'm pretty confident the M500's timbre reproduction will be very good (due to the neutrality).. how would you characterize its speed and resolving ability?

In other news, your glowing review just made the wait to this Wednesday (when my M500 arrives) feel THAT much longer.. LOL.

 

Both the impulse response and clarity (not sure how you define "resolving ability" but I'm assuming clarity?) are less than stellar to me but don't really detract from it all that much. I wouldn't call my previous post a "review" btw - it was more of an ad & marketing piece. tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
Those are mighty fine words of endorsement! You said that you are curious about the ES700's also. I am close to pulling the trigger on them, so please hurry up and get the ES700's and let me know how they compare to the M500's biggrin.gif   One thing the ES700's have going for them is that they cost only $100 from amazon japan...

 

Sorry but I'm not in any hurry to get the ES700 now that I have the M500. wink.gif However, if my experience with previous closed portable Audio-Technica headphones is any indication, including the ES7 which I still own, I'd guess that the ES700 would probably have a better impulse response than the M500 and hence sound "faster". That's just a guess though (but an educated one based on experience with a lot of Audio-Technica headphones).

post #394 of 668
aweso
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

OK, as promised here is some A/B/C/D testing between the M500, MDR1R (dynamat modded), SRH940, and UE900 (this is my best IEM and since these are portable I thought it would be nice to have one IEM in the mix). I may comment on the DT1350 from memory a bit as well but will do so only a bit and in areas like comfort and stability. All of testing will be done from my Nokia 920 phone using 256K/VBR files that come either from Apple at that bitrate or have been converted from my owned ripped CD which have been ripped to FLAC.

Comfort wise I would rank the headphones as follows MDR1R > SRH940 = M500 = UE900 >> M80 = DT1350.

Stability wise I would rank them UE900 = SRH940 > MDR1R > M80 = M500. I was surprised to find the M80 was no more stable than the M500. I wish both headphones had a similar headband system as the DT 1350 at it would make them much more stable.

Pink Floyd The Wall (Deluxe Experience Edition) In the Flesh (Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81 Pt. 2)

SRH-940 - At low volume listening this song is extremely clean, detailed, and vibrant with a massive sound stage. The entire experience is very cohesive and musical. The bass is present and full, the mids are perfect, and the treble is also perfectly balance. At mid volume levels the sound remains enjoyable and become more engaging. At mid-hi volume levels the treble starts to become a bit harsh.

M500 - At low volume listening everything is extremely clean, detailed and vibrant with an average sound stage. In comparison to the 940, the mids are slightly brighter sounding and cymbals are bit sharper sounding. At mid volume level the bass really starts to assert itself but not in an oppressive way, the mids become much more in your face and cymbals become a bit less sharp in comparison to the rest of the sound. At mid-hi volume the bass increases yet again and the mids become a bit warmer while the treble remains very balanced.

V-Moda M80 - At low volume listening the M80 is warm sounding and clean with less emphasis in the bass and treble than the M500 or 940, the sound stage is larger than the M500 but smaller than the 940 but it feels slightly artificial. At mid-volume levels the bass increases but lacks the punchiness of the M500, the mids stay warm and enjoyable, the treble while rolled off compared to the 940 and M500 still remains pleasant and relatively detailed. At mid-hi volume levels the sound continues to sound like the mid volume except for being louder. This headphone maintains a very consistent sound experience at different volume levels.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At low volume listening this headphone sounds distant and muffled and a strong midrange emphasis that is warm and lush, the bass has a hint of a mid-bass hump, the sound stage is slightly larger than everything except the 940 and does not sound artificial. At mid volume the bass becomes very mid-bass dominant with a hollow feel to it, the mids continue to be warm and lush, the treble improves and comes a bit more inline with rest of the sound but is still rolled off even compared to the M80. At mid-hi volume levels the bass just gets stronger and more humped in the mid-bass, the mids stay strong and the treble improves a bit more.

UE900 - at low volume listening levels the song is very clean clean, detailed and vibrant with a sound stage that is about the size of the M80 but with better 3D spatial qualities and sounds completely natural, while the 940 is still larger the UE900 is very enjoyable. At mid volume levels everything remains in balance like they did at the low volume levels. At mid-hi volume levels these continue to be similarly balanced as they were at low volume levels. The UE900 seems to do cymbals the most realistically and offers the most balanced midrange of all the headphones.

I would say 940 and M500 have somewhat similar signatures at low volume levels with the M500 starting to have a much stronger bass as they get louder. The M500 is a bit higher pitched in the mids as compared to the 940 though. The M80 and MDR1R are definitely more mid centric with the MDR1R being the lowest quality sound wise of all the headphones. The UE900 was for me the best for sound with this song but it also had the least bass presence.

UE900 > SRH940 > M500 >> M80 >> MDR1R

Heart Greatest Hits - Magic Man

UE900 - At lower volumes this song is detailed, clean and fun to listen to with a decent sound stage that again exhibits string spatial qualities. At mid volume levels the bass picks up nicely and the mids are present and rich with the treble maintaining it's detail without coming across as to bright. At mid-hi volumes the magic just continues with the same even presentation.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At low volume level listening the 1R again sounds subdued and a bit muffled. The mids are again lush and the bass is showing the mid-bass hump and the treble is rolled off and lacks detail. At mid volume level the bass fits this song well and is quite enjoyable, the mids continue to be lush and enjoyable, and the treble while still being in the background is a bit more presesnt. At mid-hi volume levels the headphone continues the traits exhibited at the mid volume level. The sound stage is slightly larger than average.

M80 - Low volume listening is vibrant and clear with the same mid range emphasis, the bass and treble are both rolled off slightly but both are still nicely presented, the sound stage is larger than average but does not feel artificial with this track. At mid volume levels the sound is again very similar to the low volume listening with everything just becoming fuller. At mid-hi volume the signature just continues to be the same.

M500 - Low volume listening the song is detailed, clean, enjoyable, the bass is nicely present, the mids are a bit thinner than the other headphones, and the treble is sharp and nicely extended. The sound stage is average. At mid volume levels the bass becomes very full and present and compliments the song very well, the mids start to flesh out a bit better and lose some of their thinness, the treble remains clear and extended. At mid-ho volume levels the mid level signature just continues at a louder volume level.

SRH940 - Low volume listening the song is a bit bass shy, has clean detailed mids and treble and sounds a bit distant which is likely due to the larger sound stage. At mid volume the bass is nicely present but less than all the other headphones except the UE900. The mids are very detailed and rich sounding and the treble is clear and detailed. At mid-hi volumes the bass keeps pass and the mids continue to be perfect, the treble starts to get a bit too hot though.

This song levels the playing field alot as each headphone worked fairly well with the song. I again preferred the UE900 the most, the M80 was the next best at low volume level followed by the M500, the 940 and MDR1R were both not as good at low volume levels. In the mid volume levels they all sounded very nice playing off each headphones strengths. The M500 definitely was very good especially if you want more bass presence that is nicely controlled.

UE900 > M500 > SRH940 = M80 > MDR1R

Loreena McKennit The Wind that Shakes the Barley - The Wind that Shakes the Barley

M500 - At lower volume levels this song sounds very intimate and detailed, the bass line is fully present and adds to the songs presence. At mid volume level the intimacy is increased and the bass is about as much as I would like. At mid-hi volume the vocals get too close and the bass line starts to be to strong for the song. The sound stage become more cramped as the volume is increased.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At lower volume levels there is the same sense of muffled sound but is not as noticeable as with the classic rock, the bass line sounds nice full as well. At mid volume levels this song sounds very good with the bass line being very nice. At mid-hi volumes the bass line becomes a bit over bearing but the vocals never sound to close or shouty.

SRH940 - At lower volume levels the song is detailed and clean but does sound a bit distant, the bass line is present but weaker than the 1R or the M500. At mid volume levels the song sounds perfectly balanced with the bass line being full but again not as strong as the M500 or 1R. At mid-hi volume the sound is very balanced and pleasant and never shouty in the mids or over blown in the bass. The sound stage is the best on this headphone.

M80 - Lower volume listening is clean and mid centric, the bass line is right in between the M500 and the 940. At mid volume levels the vocals are wonderful and the bass line offers the best balance out of the headphones so far. At mid-hi volume levels the singing is not quite as balanced as the 940 but not as shouty as the M500 and the bass line is still acceptable. The sound stage is above average but not as good as the 940.

UE900 - At low volume levels the mids are clear with a touch of warmth, the bass line is clean and present but less heavy than any of the headphones. At mid volume levels the bass comes in a bit clearer but is still weaker than the other headphones. At mid-hi volume levels the bass becomes quite nice but the vocals get a bit to heavy while never quite crossing the line into shouty.

I found the M80 to do this genre the best, followed closely by the 940 and UE900. The M500 and 1R's added bass presence work well at lower volume levels but become a bit over powering at mid-hi volume levels. The M500 came across as a bit shouty at mid-hi volume levels.

M80 > SRH940 = UE900 > MDR1R > M500

Patricia Barber The Cole Porter Mix - Get out of Town

UE-900 - At low volume listening the song sounds slightly warm and engaging with the bass line being present but without to much weight, the cymbals sounds very clear and present. At mid volume the guitar becomes very present and clear with the cymbals becoming very forward and engaging, the vocals are very intimate like your sitting in a small jazz club at the front. At and mid-hi volumes the sound becomes to strong but remains perfectly clear.

M500 - At low volume levels the bass line is nicely present but the mids and cymbals sound a bit distant as do the vocals which also sound a bit brighter. The overall sound is brighter and a bit thin. At mid volume levels the signature evens out in the mids and treble gaining some more presence and warmth while the bass increases nicely. At mid-hi volume levels the bass almost crosses the line into to strong but is very nice. This track sounded very good with the M500.

M80 - At low volume levels the bass is nice and the mids sound very clear and the cymbals sound clear but not as crisp or as present as the M500 or UE900. At Mid volume levels the vocals stay nice and clean and the bass is nice but not quite as present as the M500, the treble improves but is more in the back ground compared to the first 2 IEM's. At mid-hi volumes the upper mids start to get shouty, the bass also starts to show more of a mid-bass hump.

SRH940 - At low volume levels the 940 sounds a bit distant while still being nicely detailed, the bass line is present but subdued, vocals are very neutral, treble is a bit sharper for instruments like cymbals. At mid volume levels the bass starts to be more present but is still a bit subdued, guitars sound very clean and cymbals maintain their presence but become more balanced to the rest of the sound. At mid-hi volume the 940 sounds extremely balanced and wonderfully detailed.

MDR1R (dynamat modded) - At lower volumes the bass is present but a bit muddy, the vocals are lush but a bit on the soft side, cymbals are bit subdued. At mid volume levels the bass gains some clarity but borders on being to strong, the guitars sound very nice and cymbals gain some clarity, vocals sound warm and intimate. At mid-hi volumes the bass does not become to much and the vocals sound clean with cymbals maintaining their clarity. The 1R sounds more romantic than the other headphones.

This is the first genre where I found myself liking the M500 a lot and strangely enough I also enjoyed the MDR1R more as well even though it's signature is quite different. I think this genre is more balanced than the others I have tried so far.

M500 = SRH940 = UE900 > MDR1R > M80

I am going to stop for now but will add a couple of classical tracks to this comparison later as well as some samples from another source.

awesome impressions. thank you. seems the m500s soundstage is too cramped for me, as the ss of the m80 already is
post #395 of 668
I tried my ipad mini and my laptop today and have to admit my comparison review using my Nokia 920 may show a bit of an unfavorable light on the M500 if you own one of these other devices. The Nokia 920 is a brighter DAP than the iDevices and in my case my Lenovo IdeaPad. So if your using an iDevice in particular or know your computer is not to bright as a DAP then the M500 will not sound bright or off in the mids. Actually with these sources I am enjoying the heck out of the M500. I will have to do some more listening and comparing now to decide what I like.

Now that the mids are sounding right I really enjoy the added bass weight and texture the M500 offers and it is sounding very balanced. The sound stage is still a bit on the small side but it is very liveable for me as it is better than most IEM's. The UE900 is an exception to most IEM's as it should be at it's price point and it is only marginally better and only from a 3D perspective.

I'm sitting listening to several genres I reviewed above and so far have enjoyed everyone more, Jazz in particular now just sounds just right. I will say that I can still see the bass becoming to much at higher volume levels though as mentioned earlier. I will do my best to try and add additional comparisons using my laptop as a source for the songs listed above.
post #396 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

I'm calling it now: the KEF M500 is the single best closed portable headphone that I've ever heard to date!

 

These headphones are seriously awesome. They're also way better than the V-MODA M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT1350. These are the closed portable headphones that everyone should be buying! They look awesome and sound awesome! I officially give the M500 an A+! It's so good that I don't feel the need to continue the journey for a closed portable headphone! (Well, aside from the Audio-Technica ES700 which I've been curious about.)

 

The M500 earns my highest recommendation possible! Its sound shouldn't be possible at $300! I'm a fan of the MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2 too, and would prefer supporting an American business if I could, but even the Mad Dog sounds unnatural after the M500! The M500 has this all over the Mad Dog too. And it doesn't have the amping requirements of the Mad Dog either. It's rare to find a great-sounding headphone that's also refreshingly efficient!

 

I love these headphones. I could nitpick them to death if I really wanted to, but that would miss the point. They're the best small closed headphones that I've ever heard! Heck, there are CDs where I'd take these over the Fostex TH900 too! The only thing that would be better would be the Grado HP1000 itself, or the Stax OII MKI, or a sonic merge of those two.

 

Anyone who listens to music owes it to himself (or herself, as the case might be) to buy these. I love these. The M500 is my new favorite headphone!

 

This post is gonna cost me MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate this man...biggrin.gif

post #397 of 668

I'm actually happy I found out about these. I've been lookin for a portable to alternate from home for a very long time... to no avail.

 

I can't wait to try these out popcorn.gif

post #398 of 668
Those who have the M500 already, should really post a review at:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/kef-m500-hi-fi-on-ear-headphones-aluminum-black

It should really reach number 1 of on-ear headphones smily_headphones1.gif
post #399 of 668
Havent filtered thru the thread...any lamb on the ears?
The pads removable? The best on-ear i had was the esw10jpn...
This is the best?
post #400 of 668
The pads do not appear removable to me. I am not sure if they are leather or not but they feel very comfortable and seem well made.
post #401 of 668

My M500 arrived a day early from RDA.. I've been listening with them for the better part of this afternoon... build quality is terrific.  They look & feel every bit as impressive in my hand as they do in the pictures.  The ear pads are sinfully comfortable.  Just luscious.

 

I'll post more about the sound later tonight..

 

Teaser?  I am going to have some very positive things to say about them.  I'm actually pretty stunned by the SQ.  I'm listening to the M500 w/ the ODAC/QUICKSTEP, atm.. and here is very little, if anything, that this phone gets 'wrong' in terms of sound.  I had no idea an on-ear can sound this good.


Edited by FlySweep - 7/24/13 at 3:41am
post #402 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

My M500 arrived a day early from RDA.. I've been listening with them for the better part of this afternoon... build quality is terrific.  They look & feel every bit as impressive in my hand as they do in the pictures.  The ear pads are sinfully comfortable.  Just luscious.

 

I'll post more about the sound later tonight..

 

Teaser?  I am going to have some very positive things to say about them.  I'm actually pretty stunned by the SQ.  I'm listening to the M500 w/ the ODAC/QUICKSTEP, atm.. and the tonal balance is quite reminiscent of the HD800.. I'm not exaggerating.  There is very little, if anything, that this phone gets 'wrong' in terms of sound.  I had no idea an on ear can sound this good.

 

Do you find the pads really hot on your ears? 

post #403 of 668

Originally Posted by imackler View Post

Do you find the pads really hot on your ears? 

 

They get a little warm after 30-45 minutes of continuous wear.. but I don't find it uncomfortable.  I just remove them for a couple of minutes.. then back on they go.

post #404 of 668

Oh.. and these sound something special with the QUICKSTEP.. that Active Balaced Ground tech offers a wonderful presentation.. realistic staging, and terrific clarity.

post #405 of 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

My M500 arrived a day early from RDA.. I've been listening with them for the better part of this afternoon... build quality is terrific.  They look & feel every bit as impressive in my hand as they do in the pictures.  The ear pads are sinfully comfortable.  Just luscious.

 

I'll post more about the sound later tonight..

 

Teaser?  I am going to have some very positive things to say about them.  I'm actually pretty stunned by the SQ.  I'm listening to the M500 w/ the ODAC/QUICKSTEP, atm.. and the tonal balance is quite reminiscent of the HD800.. I'm not exaggerating.  There is very little, if anything, that this phone gets 'wrong' in terms of sound.  I had no idea an on ear can sound this good.

 

So what you are trying to tell me is that I need them, right? smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KEF new headphones!