- 11 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best portable headphones for $250? Last post on 11/10/13 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Onkyo IE-FC300 Review & Appreciation Thread Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:59am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- KEF M500 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones **FREE SHIPPING TO US/CANADA** Last post on 10/1/13 at 2:51am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Need advice on choosing a closed back portable over ear headphone Last post on 10/2/13 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a Closed Circumaural HP for Rock Last post on 9/25/13 at 11:12am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
KEF new headphones! - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have had these headphones for nearly a month now, in terms of comfort, the issue with clamping will resolve itself once you have worn these for a couple of days and they will loosen up. They are definitely more comfortable than the B&Ws and Harman Kardon. In the current UK heatwave, they do tend to get a bit sticky which creates a little discomfort but certainly not fatiguing.
In terms of isolation, they do provide an adequate seal but will not block out all external noise. I found you are likely to incur some noise intrusion with a trip down to the shops, but I would say it is limited but noticeable. I haven't really had a chance to test them on commuter trip but I am due to fly out next week so will see how they fare with noise isolation on a flight.
I had issues originally with the headphones slipping off my head. I found positioning the headband towards the back of my head at a tilt resolved the issue as well as adjusting the position of the ear cups solved this (the video on the KEF website provides an example on how these should be worn).
In terms of sound, they pretty much sound the same when I unboxed them - I still get the wow factor everytime I put them on.
I do not agree with the comments made in the pcadvisor review (link in previous post). The M500s are an excellent all-rounder, whilst they do not excel in one particular area, they are certainly the most life-like I have ever owned, everything sounds spot on regardless of what type of music I am listening to.
These are definitely the best headphones I have heard, better than any offerings from Bose, Sennheiser, Grado and AKG within the same price range.
Edited by mcook1970 - 7/15/13 at 6:11am
I noticed that you have the HD600 as well. How do they compare? HD600 has much better soundstage, I would imagine. But similar balance-wise?
The HD600 is the superior can and a classic at that, but straight out of a smartphone the M500 is 'more suited to purpose'. As one would imagine
I briefly auditioned some B&W. The P5 was pretty terrible to me, muddy and lifeless. I actually preferred the P3 - nothing groundbreaking, but clearer and more exciting for sure.
I finally got my M500 in today.
Positive initial impressions: I find them really comfortable to wear. They fit my head perfectly - no clamping pressure. They're also really light-weight yet are built solidly.
Negative initial impressions: So far I've tried them on exactly 3 different genres - bluegrass, electronica, and classical. Did not like them with the classical, the tonality with the violins was just off to me.*
I'll be giving them more time of course but I'm sort of disappointed with the results on classical music. They do sound good in most aspects though, and I think they'd be a great office/cubicle headphone for some people too since it's really easy to slip them on & off quickly, plus they're hang-able on the neck! They're also efficient enough that there should be no difficulty using them with either a computer or DAP directly.
Update after a few hours more of listening tonight:
* Apparently that was only with respect to 1 particular CD. Violin tonality sounded better on other classical CDs that I tried.
I've also quickly gained some appreciation for these headphones, and I now understand why robm likes them. The M500 sounds somewhat like a mini closed version of the Grado HP1000! It's not identical of course, but not that far off either. Which is high praise, because the HP1000 is uniquely awesome. The M500 reminds me so much of the HP1000 that it's ridiculous! I'm now half-inclined to keep the M500 just because of that fact....
Edited by Asr - 7/16/13 at 1:05am
- KEF new headphones!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AKG Collection Sell-Off! K550, K240 Sextett MP, K280, K141... just now
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 26 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 52 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread 1 minute ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe