- 102 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) Last post on Yesterday at 8:23 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Burning in Kef M500? Last post on 2/24/15 at 7:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Admire Sennheiser Last post on 2/2/15 at 6:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget Last post on 10/30/14 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/1/14
First and foremost, I have experience with several different headphones, namely much of the Ultrasone series (Pro 900, Pro 750), Denon D2000, D5000, and Fostex TH600. I mainly deal with closed back...
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
KEF new headphones! - Page 24
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have had these headphones for nearly a month now, in terms of comfort, the issue with clamping will resolve itself once you have worn these for a couple of days and they will loosen up. They are definitely more comfortable than the B&Ws and Harman Kardon. In the current UK heatwave, they do tend to get a bit sticky which creates a little discomfort but certainly not fatiguing.
In terms of isolation, they do provide an adequate seal but will not block out all external noise. I found you are likely to incur some noise intrusion with a trip down to the shops, but I would say it is limited but noticeable. I haven't really had a chance to test them on commuter trip but I am due to fly out next week so will see how they fare with noise isolation on a flight.
I had issues originally with the headphones slipping off my head. I found positioning the headband towards the back of my head at a tilt resolved the issue as well as adjusting the position of the ear cups solved this (the video on the KEF website provides an example on how these should be worn).
In terms of sound, they pretty much sound the same when I unboxed them - I still get the wow factor everytime I put them on.
I do not agree with the comments made in the pcadvisor review (link in previous post). The M500s are an excellent all-rounder, whilst they do not excel in one particular area, they are certainly the most life-like I have ever owned, everything sounds spot on regardless of what type of music I am listening to.
These are definitely the best headphones I have heard, better than any offerings from Bose, Sennheiser, Grado and AKG within the same price range.
Edited by mcook1970 - 7/15/13 at 6:11am
I noticed that you have the HD600 as well. How do they compare? HD600 has much better soundstage, I would imagine. But similar balance-wise?
The HD600 is the superior can and a classic at that, but straight out of a smartphone the M500 is 'more suited to purpose'. As one would imagine
I briefly auditioned some B&W. The P5 was pretty terrible to me, muddy and lifeless. I actually preferred the P3 - nothing groundbreaking, but clearer and more exciting for sure.
I finally got my M500 in today.
Positive initial impressions: I find them really comfortable to wear. They fit my head perfectly - no clamping pressure. They're also really light-weight yet are built solidly.
Negative initial impressions: So far I've tried them on exactly 3 different genres - bluegrass, electronica, and classical. Did not like them with the classical, the tonality with the violins was just off to me.*
I'll be giving them more time of course but I'm sort of disappointed with the results on classical music. They do sound good in most aspects though, and I think they'd be a great office/cubicle headphone for some people too since it's really easy to slip them on & off quickly, plus they're hang-able on the neck! They're also efficient enough that there should be no difficulty using them with either a computer or DAP directly.
Update after a few hours more of listening tonight:
* Apparently that was only with respect to 1 particular CD. Violin tonality sounded better on other classical CDs that I tried.
I've also quickly gained some appreciation for these headphones, and I now understand why robm likes them. The M500 sounds somewhat like a mini closed version of the Grado HP1000! It's not identical of course, but not that far off either. Which is high praise, because the HP1000 is uniquely awesome. The M500 reminds me so much of the HP1000 that it's ridiculous! I'm now half-inclined to keep the M500 just because of that fact....
Edited by Asr - 7/16/13 at 1:05am
- KEF new headphones!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Missing equalization options for sound in Windows 7 9 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 20 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › New Earphones 1 minute ago
- › Munich HIGH END 2015 Germany 14. - 17. May 2015 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Grado RS2e + Maple stand 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 4 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2