- 2,122 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best portable headphones for $250? Last post on 11/10/13 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Onkyo IE-FC300 Review & Appreciation Thread Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:59am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- KEF M500 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones **FREE SHIPPING TO US/CANADA** Last post on 10/1/13 at 2:51am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Need advice on choosing a closed back portable over ear headphone Last post on 10/2/13 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a Closed Circumaural HP for Rock Last post on 9/25/13 at 11:12am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
I picked these up just because at that time these would be my first set of over ear headphones. I also liked them for their looks. Honestly I wish I hadn't bought them. Lets see...
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
KEF new headphones! - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ear positioning also changes the soundstage somewhat dramatically. Don't wear them on the front of your ears, wear them farther back and man it improves.
I don't think I've ever had a headphone that I haven't had a problem with the build, that is, except the m500.
Sound Comment: The Soundstage is veeery deep abd it has good height, especially for a closed on-ear headphone. It's not very wide though, but that was expected.
Edited by Trunks159 - 6/22/13 at 6:40am
The build is wonderful. You can tap your fingers on any part of the construction and it is solid and dead. Compare that to the various percussive noises you get when doing that to a Skullcandy Aviator.
M500 looks great, feels great, sounds great. The complete package.
Ok. First impressions:
Comfort-Wonderful for short listening, but they hurt for longer sessions, just be because they're on ear and they're brand new. Clamp is just right.
Isolation-Nice, no complaints
Build- Nice, wonderful actually.
Concerns- Only one problem, and this will suck for some people, is the microfonics. Rubbing the cord at lower volumes isn't a pleasant exp, and any touch on the headphones will produce some sound. The cord is a little thin.
Sound- I shouldn't write anything on the sound really, its too early. But I guess I could say something. The sound is pretty much neutral, though having a veeeery small bump in the upper bass/lower midrange area. The highs thankfully aren't recessed, and the bass is absolutely perfect quantity wise. Like beagle said, the quantity of bass depends entirely on the recording. Some are bass light, some bass heavy.
Quality wise, I won't give many impressions. I'll say they're very clear and airy sounding (compared to other portables in this price range). The soundstage is pretty damn good for an on ear too.
Only good things! Against the ws99, 1r, etc, well, that'll have to wait for another time.
Thanks for the review Looking forward to your comparison with the WS99's. Do let us know what you think
I would have to go with the M500 due to it's sonic honesty and comfort.
But the Martin Logan is a real hi-fi treat
I still may have that new toy effect, but after all the new toys I've gotten in the past, probably not.
Anyway, with every headphone, you have to give up something. I'd say this headphone's main weaknesses are:(not burned in really, only like 7 hours)
1- Lack of width in the soundstage. It's very noticeable.
2- Bass: I'd say the bass is about average. It does mud up the sound a little, and its more noticeable against my ath ws99, which had the absolute best bass ever! The width of the soundstage and the somewhat loose bass kind of compound each other, making these sound a lot more like headphones than my other cans.
The sound is very neutral, with slight emphasis in the bass to upper mid range area. The mid mids and upper mids, and highs rock though. These sound nice at most genres. The only genres it falls in are rock, metal, or soundtrack, genres that require solid, and fast bass.
These are pre burn in impressions though, so take this with a grain of salt.
If you wanna know which I prefer out of the ws99 and m500 right now, I'd say the ws99, but don't worry, these will probably improve.
Beagle, how do these improve with burn in?
Interesting. I have no problem with the bass (very balanced) and I find the M500 spacious from all angles, depending, of course, on the recording. But I am using them with a good amp..
You may not notice it because you haven't compared them to the ATH WS99, which is known for its unstoppable bass.
- KEF new headphones!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 24 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 30 seconds ago
- › Nad D Range 45 seconds ago
- › Looking for a portable, closed, over-ear set of headphones for... 53 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series 2 minutes ago
- › V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback 3 minutes ago
- › LOOKING FOR A PORTABLE MEDIA/MP3 PLAYER WITH THE BEST EQUALIZER 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › Skullcandy Hesh Over-Ear Headphone S6HEDZ-118 (Black/Grey) by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe