- 3,208 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) Last post on Today at 8:46 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Burning in Kef M500? Last post on 2/24/15 at 7:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Admire Sennheiser Last post on 2/2/15 at 6:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget Last post on 10/30/14 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
KEF new headphones! - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ear positioning also changes the soundstage somewhat dramatically. Don't wear them on the front of your ears, wear them farther back and man it improves.
I don't think I've ever had a headphone that I haven't had a problem with the build, that is, except the m500.
Sound Comment: The Soundstage is veeery deep abd it has good height, especially for a closed on-ear headphone. It's not very wide though, but that was expected.
Edited by Trunks159 - 6/22/13 at 6:40am
The build is wonderful. You can tap your fingers on any part of the construction and it is solid and dead. Compare that to the various percussive noises you get when doing that to a Skullcandy Aviator.
M500 looks great, feels great, sounds great. The complete package.
Ok. First impressions:
Comfort-Wonderful for short listening, but they hurt for longer sessions, just be because they're on ear and they're brand new. Clamp is just right.
Isolation-Nice, no complaints
Build- Nice, wonderful actually.
Concerns- Only one problem, and this will suck for some people, is the microfonics. Rubbing the cord at lower volumes isn't a pleasant exp, and any touch on the headphones will produce some sound. The cord is a little thin.
Sound- I shouldn't write anything on the sound really, its too early. But I guess I could say something. The sound is pretty much neutral, though having a veeeery small bump in the upper bass/lower midrange area. The highs thankfully aren't recessed, and the bass is absolutely perfect quantity wise. Like beagle said, the quantity of bass depends entirely on the recording. Some are bass light, some bass heavy.
Quality wise, I won't give many impressions. I'll say they're very clear and airy sounding (compared to other portables in this price range). The soundstage is pretty damn good for an on ear too.
Only good things! Against the ws99, 1r, etc, well, that'll have to wait for another time.
Thanks for the review Looking forward to your comparison with the WS99's. Do let us know what you think
I would have to go with the M500 due to it's sonic honesty and comfort.
But the Martin Logan is a real hi-fi treat
I still may have that new toy effect, but after all the new toys I've gotten in the past, probably not.
Anyway, with every headphone, you have to give up something. I'd say this headphone's main weaknesses are:(not burned in really, only like 7 hours)
1- Lack of width in the soundstage. It's very noticeable.
2- Bass: I'd say the bass is about average. It does mud up the sound a little, and its more noticeable against my ath ws99, which had the absolute best bass ever! The width of the soundstage and the somewhat loose bass kind of compound each other, making these sound a lot more like headphones than my other cans.
The sound is very neutral, with slight emphasis in the bass to upper mid range area. The mid mids and upper mids, and highs rock though. These sound nice at most genres. The only genres it falls in are rock, metal, or soundtrack, genres that require solid, and fast bass.
These are pre burn in impressions though, so take this with a grain of salt.
If you wanna know which I prefer out of the ws99 and m500 right now, I'd say the ws99, but don't worry, these will probably improve.
Beagle, how do these improve with burn in?
Interesting. I have no problem with the bass (very balanced) and I find the M500 spacious from all angles, depending, of course, on the recording. But I am using them with a good amp..
You may not notice it because you haven't compared them to the ATH WS99, which is known for its unstoppable bass.
- KEF new headphones!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 4 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 6 minutes ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 7 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 8 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 9 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 11 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 15 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2