- 3,194 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget Last post on 10/30/14 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help on a predicament! Last post on 9/17/14 at 8:54pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IEM for Symphonic Metal, Rock, plus occasional Trance and Soundtrack Orchestral? Last post on 7/22/14 at 3:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- KEF M200 vs RHA MA750 vs Yamaha EPH-100 Last post on 6/16/14 at 3:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- KEF M500 Last post on 4/9/14 at 12:03pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/3/14
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
This is my first review here. Previously owned Beyerdynamic DT 770 , Audio-Technica m20, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Stil have a pair of AKG k450. I exchanged Sennheiser Momentum on-ear for those...
Let’s get started :- This time , BRAINWAVZ have a new earphone seemingly a subordinate of S5 , it seems like people at brainwavz are serious about making durable and value efficient...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
KEF new headphones! - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Ear positioning also changes the soundstage somewhat dramatically. Don't wear them on the front of your ears, wear them farther back and man it improves.
I don't think I've ever had a headphone that I haven't had a problem with the build, that is, except the m500.
Sound Comment: The Soundstage is veeery deep abd it has good height, especially for a closed on-ear headphone. It's not very wide though, but that was expected.
Edited by Trunks159 - 6/22/13 at 6:40am
The build is wonderful. You can tap your fingers on any part of the construction and it is solid and dead. Compare that to the various percussive noises you get when doing that to a Skullcandy Aviator.
M500 looks great, feels great, sounds great. The complete package.
Ok. First impressions:
Comfort-Wonderful for short listening, but they hurt for longer sessions, just be because they're on ear and they're brand new. Clamp is just right.
Isolation-Nice, no complaints
Build- Nice, wonderful actually.
Concerns- Only one problem, and this will suck for some people, is the microfonics. Rubbing the cord at lower volumes isn't a pleasant exp, and any touch on the headphones will produce some sound. The cord is a little thin.
Sound- I shouldn't write anything on the sound really, its too early. But I guess I could say something. The sound is pretty much neutral, though having a veeeery small bump in the upper bass/lower midrange area. The highs thankfully aren't recessed, and the bass is absolutely perfect quantity wise. Like beagle said, the quantity of bass depends entirely on the recording. Some are bass light, some bass heavy.
Quality wise, I won't give many impressions. I'll say they're very clear and airy sounding (compared to other portables in this price range). The soundstage is pretty damn good for an on ear too.
Only good things! Against the ws99, 1r, etc, well, that'll have to wait for another time.
Thanks for the review Looking forward to your comparison with the WS99's. Do let us know what you think
I would have to go with the M500 due to it's sonic honesty and comfort.
But the Martin Logan is a real hi-fi treat
I still may have that new toy effect, but after all the new toys I've gotten in the past, probably not.
Anyway, with every headphone, you have to give up something. I'd say this headphone's main weaknesses are:(not burned in really, only like 7 hours)
1- Lack of width in the soundstage. It's very noticeable.
2- Bass: I'd say the bass is about average. It does mud up the sound a little, and its more noticeable against my ath ws99, which had the absolute best bass ever! The width of the soundstage and the somewhat loose bass kind of compound each other, making these sound a lot more like headphones than my other cans.
The sound is very neutral, with slight emphasis in the bass to upper mid range area. The mid mids and upper mids, and highs rock though. These sound nice at most genres. The only genres it falls in are rock, metal, or soundtrack, genres that require solid, and fast bass.
These are pre burn in impressions though, so take this with a grain of salt.
If you wanna know which I prefer out of the ws99 and m500 right now, I'd say the ws99, but don't worry, these will probably improve.
Beagle, how do these improve with burn in?
Interesting. I have no problem with the bass (very balanced) and I find the M500 spacious from all angles, depending, of course, on the recording. But I am using them with a good amp..
You may not notice it because you haven't compared them to the ATH WS99, which is known for its unstoppable bass.
- KEF new headphones!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › Help on moving up to the high end, from HE400, HD598, K702, MA900,... 7 minutes ago
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › VSONIC GR07 by nikhilthecupid
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › Fischer Audio Consonance V2 by fonzler
- › Beats Mixr On-Ear Headphones by Flagretro
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)