Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › what are some top tier universal iems these days?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what are some top tier universal iems these days? - Page 2

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

In case of the SE535 many will argue that different might be better, though. As in more neutral, less fatiguing and better extension. (I will also claim some universals have better resolution, but I will have a hard time to prove that as it is only based from my memory when I did a big comparison with other IEMs.)

But I've seen in another thread that Spyro does not like to discuss that topic or has a different perception, so in his case, the SE535 is really the best.

Still depends on one's criteria for what "great sound" is to THEM which can take a long time to figure out.  Sure, you can cherry-pick certain characteristics (like resolution) and say X is better than Y but what about the whole package?  For example most would agree ER4S has terrific treble.  But many of those same people would say it doesn't matter because the weak bass is a dealbreaker.

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

SE535 IS a top universal.  NOTHING is better, only different.  So if there is something about SE535 you don't care for you may able to find something different but to find something generally "better."  It's not out there.

 

Customs is the next logical upgrade.  And they DON'T need to be re-fitted every few years.  They should NEVER have to be re-fitted unless you lost or gained a very significant amount of weight.


I strongly disagree, so universals out there perform better accross the bord. More balanced, better bass punch and detail, better separation.

post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 

like which ones?

post #19 of 26
In my order of preference : 1plus2, Ocharaku Flat 4 Kaede and Heir 5.0 are all better. And I owned The 530 then the 535 for years and enjoyed them a lot. But they are much more expensive. I find the Togo334 to be also better, but with similar signature somehow. The akg k3003 is good too, but I only had a brief listen. The IE800 is awesome, but has heavily boosted bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielghofrani View Post

like which ones?
post #20 of 26

Well, sure if you want to start talking $1,200-$2,000 range....yes, those would be better  but not sure that's what the OP meant. I was talking about chasing your tail with the staple high end universals in the $350-$500 range.  They are all about the same quality of sound, but different SQ.  But at even anything over $600 I would just get a custom  

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Well, sure if you want to start talking $1,200-$2,000 range....yes, those would be better  but not sure that's what the OP meant. I was talking about chasing your tail with the staple high end universals in the $350-$500 range.  They are all about the same quality of sound, but different SQ.  But at even anything over $600 I would just get a custom  


The Heir 5.0 are 599 and better technically IMO. But that is just me. Some could still prefer the 535.

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


The Heir 5.0 are 599 and better technically IMO. But that is just me. Some could still prefer the 535.

At that price and above, you also feel the effects of diminishing returns more heavily. Better? That's subjective. Now the price... That's a different story.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post


At that price and above, you also feel the effects of diminishing returns more heavily. Better? That's subjective. Now the price... That's a different story.


Sure but it does not take a genius to understand that when you put 1000$ in an iem / headphone, you are not looking for a return on investment. You are looking for something that sounds great. Of course it would not mean anything to say that it sounds twice better than a 500 ciem. But talking about the 535 specifically, which I love, it have forward mids and the sub bass is slightly bloated, so people looking for more balance can find a technicall improvment.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Sure but it does not take a genius to understand that when you put 1000$ in an iem / headphone, you are not looking for a return on investment. You are looking for something that sounds great. Of course it would not mean anything to say that it sounds twice better than a 500 ciem. But talking about the 535 specifically, which I love, it have forward mids and the sub bass is slightly bloated, so people looking for more balance can find a technicall improvment.

 

 

I just feel that it's easy to get lost up in all the reviews and praises of $1000+ IEM and headphones alike. From personal experience, I came into the 500+ world expecting a somewhat substantial improvement. I understood that I wouldn't get specifically a good value on my investment, but the concept really never clicked in until I had the headphones side by side listening to them. Of course, some may argue that I am experienced in my audio journey and that I skipped the system and jumped all the way to the higher priced IEMs as being why I couldn't differentiate the sonic improvement. Sorry, if I might be stretching this a bit too far. But I guess I can conclude finally, as a personal reflection, that knowing does not equal understanding. 

 

But yea, I leave the next post to someone who has more suggestions about the top tier IEMs.

post #25 of 26

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Sure but it does not take a genius to understand that when you put 1000$ in an iem / headphone, you are not looking for a return on investment. You are looking for something that sounds great. Of course it would not mean anything to say that it sounds twice better than a 500 ciem. But talking about the 535 specifically, which I love, it have forward mids and the sub bass is slightly bloated, so people looking for more balance can find a technicall improvment.

I agree with that.

 

I wasn't looking for twice the SQ to dollar ratio (or to be “blown away”) to appreciate an improvement and be willing to pay for it. I get the dividends back every minute of every day I use it in the truck. We're talking 8 to 10 hours (divided between talk shows and music—when I'm not on the phone).

 

I certainly wasn't expecting twice as good (for twice the price of the SE535) when I opened the box of the $900 Ultrasone IQ today. I've been listening to it for 3 or 4 hours and doing some A/B-ing. It will be weeks before I decide whether to keep it. In my initial listen, the IQ doesn't have a different tone color. The only IEM (that I've heard to date) with a significant tone color difference was the UE900.

 

Considering the music I listen too, sub-bass “bloat” or slow bass decay (as Mimouille describes the TG!334) are pluses for me. So far the IQ doesn't have excessive bass. Maybe it will blow up after, oh let's call it, "burn in" ( for lack of a better term).

 

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

 

 

I just feel that it's easy to get lost up in all the reviews and praises of $1000+ IEM and headphones alike. From personal experience, I came into the 500+ world expecting a somewhat substantial improvement. I understood that I wouldn't get specifically a good value on my investment, but the concept really never clicked in until I had the headphones side by side listening to them. Of course, some may argue that I am experienced in my audio journey and that I skipped the system and jumped all the way to the higher priced IEMs as being why I couldn't differentiate the sonic improvement. Sorry, if I might be stretching this a bit too far. But I guess I can conclude finally, as a personal reflection, that knowing does not equal understanding. 

 

But yea, I leave the next post to someone who has more suggestions about the top tier IEMs.


No problem, what I was intending to say is that if you venture anywhere above 300$ for iems / headphones, you are abandoning pure rationality as anyone could argue you get very good sq for 100$ these days. So to me it is more: you pay what you consider it is worth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › what are some top tier universal iems these days?