- 227 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K240 'Sextett'tagged by RUMAY408, 9/2/13
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Pro Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by Byrnie, 9/2/13
- productFostex T20RP mkIItagged by dwayniac, 8/22/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF1 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productKoss A250 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productSony MDR-F1 Full-Open-Air Headphones with Impedance Compensatortagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productTakstar 2050tagged by MrEleventy, 8/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- new in the game, colplete set-up. Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best headphones for rock and electronic? Last post on 6/24/14 at 3:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for DNA Sonett Last post on 3/26/14 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good headphones for metal (max $500) Last post on 3/21/14 at 6:58am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Your favourite "not the best" headphones? - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sony MDR-7506. At home I generally listen to my Fidelio X1's, which are fantastic, but at work I use the 7506's with a Vali amp, Dragonfly DAC, and either FLAC or 320KB MP3's. As fantastic as my X1's sound, the 7506's sound amazing and I'm continually impressed with them, particularly in the setup / chain that I have going. They're so classic I just love them. I also put the Beyer velour pads on so my ears don't get so hot. I'm sure they're not THE BEST, but for $80 they are fantastic.
are those the HM5 pads? I didn't realize that they fit the V6 - if so then they would also fit the 7506, I assume? I have heard those pads are awesome… they certainly look very comfy.
Yes, the HM5 pads. I'm 99.9% sure the'll fit a 7506. The pads are very good: excellent fit around the ear and very comfortable. They also make the cans sound less peaky in the highs.
You need an amp that can push 600 Ohms, for portable I've been using ALO Audio MKll. Home a Meier Classic.
They frankly work well with Rock but electronica should be fine. I see these HP's up on EBay now at a cheap price <100 a few years ago they were hot on Head-Fi and it drove the price up>300 they are reasonable now. Just make sure they were made between 1975-1979.
Sextett seconded... they're so much fun without being neutral...
As for really getting sextetts - make sure that the metal rings and type plates (and probably the AKG stencil on the headband - if it's not the holed type) are silver. Also the type plates should read AKG with the logo on one side and on the other just K240 in big print (no M, S, DF or whatnot behind the number) and "For Outputs 4-600 Ohms" over the K240 and Made in Austria below it.
The production period is only visible by having a good pic of the inside of the drivers with the six passive resonators visible (EP has orange resonators, MP has off-white with very faint orange rim and LP has just off-white resonators).
Edited by jring - 3/24/14 at 11:58am
They have no soundstage, a mid-fi lower mid and upper bass hump, and they are unfocused. Instruments have a unique and bad quality. All sound as if you are inside the instrument, but the soundstage of each one is a huge blob in a general direction. So when you focus on an instrument it is 'somewhere over there' but what you hear sounds like you are inside the guitar, or kick drum, etc.
That said, for a portable that you don't think about they are very good. Deep sub-bass, comfortable, they fold up, the tonal accuracy of each instrument is excellent, and they make all music sound good within their limitations.
Just don't compare them to anything like a SuperLux, TakStar or better.
Audio Technica PRO500MK2
Clarity is lacking but it is offset by good sound isolation because they are on-ear headphones that cover my ears completely,durability,portability and excellent bass. I think the 500 sounds better when I increase the bass because the mids and treble sound bland without extra bass.
I guess it's my Shure SRH 1840. It clearly lacks the subwoofer bass of the Shure SE846, but what headphone besides the LCD-2 have got an amazing bass like that? :P
The Shure SRH 1840 is obviously better in the treble, soundstage, imaging and airiness but overall I feel my Shure SE846 is better than my Shure SRH 1840. It's still a nice headphone though, especially the mids are incredibly flat of the Shure SRH 1840 and it's detailed.
Edited by ubs28 - 3/29/14 at 2:20pm
Beats was also my guilty pleasure, at least the new 2013 model. I heard it, and enjoyed it, but am not going to buy due to horrible customer service.
I also liked the SOL Republic headphone's, and some skullcandy earbuds.
The bassy Beyerdynamic COP was my bassy pleasure, but I ultimately had to sell due to bad comfort.
My favorite not the best, hmm... possibly the Grado SR60 which was extremely fun and energetic, but doesn't hold a candle to my current headphones in every technical metric - but a long margin.
Yes, I agree, I liked the 60 when I had it. Much more so than the 325, ugh that one had my ears on fire!
MS1, very fun sounding with a more 'bouncy' sounding bass and more sparkly treble than my other pair of HD558. However it lacks the overall texture detail, soundstage expansiveness and seperation of its more expensive counterpart.
- Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › La Figaro 339 33 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 51 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 2 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › x3 ii external speaker suggestion 5 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 10 minutes ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 11 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2