- 295 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K240 'Sextett'tagged by RUMAY408, 9/2/13
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Protagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by Byrnie, 9/2/13
- productFostex T20RP mkIItagged by dwayniac, 8/22/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF1 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productKoss A250 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productSony MDR-F1 Full-Open-Air Headphones with Impedance Compensatortagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productTakstar 2050tagged by MrEleventy, 8/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- new in the game, colplete set-up. Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best headphones for rock and electronic? Last post on 6/24/14 at 3:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for DNA Sonett Last post on 3/26/14 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good headphones for metal (max $500) Last post on 3/21/14 at 6:58am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
Overview, design and build: The CKR10 is currently the flagship dynamic driver earphones from Audio Technica. I bought it used from another Head-Fi user. Packaging and accesories are simple but...
It is brilliant, having been based on a OPA2134 as input amp that is wired to a TPA6120A2 as buffer (Current amp). It uses a TDA2030 as a rail splitter. Using a power opamp as a rail splitter...
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Your favourite "not the best" headphones? - Page 17post #241 of 3033/24/14 at 9:38amSenn HD439 & Superlux Evo
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 3033/24/14 at 9:45am
Sony MDR-7506. At home I generally listen to my Fidelio X1's, which are fantastic, but at work I use the 7506's with a Vali amp, Dragonfly DAC, and either FLAC or 320KB MP3's. As fantastic as my X1's sound, the 7506's sound amazing and I'm continually impressed with them, particularly in the setup / chain that I have going. They're so classic I just love them. I also put the Beyer velour pads on so my ears don't get so hot. I'm sure they're not THE BEST, but for $80 they are fantastic.post #243 of 3033/24/14 at 9:47am
are those the HM5 pads? I didn't realize that they fit the V6 - if so then they would also fit the 7506, I assume? I have heard those pads are awesome… they certainly look very comfy.post #244 of 3033/24/14 at 9:54amQuote:
Yes, the HM5 pads. I'm 99.9% sure the'll fit a 7506. The pads are very good: excellent fit around the ear and very comfortable. They also make the cans sound less peaky in the highs.post #245 of 3033/24/14 at 11:52amQuote:Originally Posted by RUMAY408
You need an amp that can push 600 Ohms, for portable I've been using ALO Audio MKll. Home a Meier Classic.
They frankly work well with Rock but electronica should be fine. I see these HP's up on EBay now at a cheap price <100 a few years ago they were hot on Head-Fi and it drove the price up>300 they are reasonable now. Just make sure they were made between 1975-1979.
Sextett seconded... they're so much fun without being neutral...
As for really getting sextetts - make sure that the metal rings and type plates (and probably the AKG stencil on the headband - if it's not the holed type) are silver. Also the type plates should read AKG with the logo on one side and on the other just K240 in big print (no M, S, DF or whatnot behind the number) and "For Outputs 4-600 Ohms" over the K240 and Made in Austria below it.
The production period is only visible by having a good pic of the inside of the drivers with the six passive resonators visible (EP has orange resonators, MP has off-white with very faint orange rim and LP has just off-white resonators).
Edited by jring - 3/24/14 at 11:58ampost #246 of 3033/24/14 at 7:36pmJVC HA-S500.
They have no soundstage, a mid-fi lower mid and upper bass hump, and they are unfocused. Instruments have a unique and bad quality. All sound as if you are inside the instrument, but the soundstage of each one is a huge blob in a general direction. So when you focus on an instrument it is 'somewhere over there' but what you hear sounds like you are inside the guitar, or kick drum, etc.
That said, for a portable that you don't think about they are very good. Deep sub-bass, comfortable, they fold up, the tonal accuracy of each instrument is excellent, and they make all music sound good within their limitations.
Just don't compare them to anything like a SuperLux, TakStar or better.post #247 of 3033/27/14 at 2:53am
Audio Technica PRO500MK2
Clarity is lacking but it is offset by good sound isolation because they are on-ear headphones that cover my ears completely,durability,portability and excellent bass. I think the 500 sounds better when I increase the bass because the mids and treble sound bland without extra bass.post #248 of 3033/27/14 at 12:50pmpost #249 of 3033/29/14 at 1:36pmpost #250 of 3033/29/14 at 2:19pm
I guess it's my Shure SRH 1840. It clearly lacks the subwoofer bass of the Shure SE846, but what headphone besides the LCD-2 have got an amazing bass like that? :P
The Shure SRH 1840 is obviously better in the treble, soundstage, imaging and airiness but overall I feel my Shure SE846 is better than my Shure SRH 1840. It's still a nice headphone though, especially the mids are incredibly flat of the Shure SRH 1840 and it's detailed.
Edited by ubs28 - 3/29/14 at 2:20pmpost #251 of 3034/17/14 at 3:15pmpost #252 of 3034/17/14 at 7:48pm
Beats was also my guilty pleasure, at least the new 2013 model. I heard it, and enjoyed it, but am not going to buy due to horrible customer service.
I also liked the SOL Republic headphone's, and some skullcandy earbuds.
The bassy Beyerdynamic COP was my bassy pleasure, but I ultimately had to sell due to bad comfort.post #253 of 3034/17/14 at 7:57pm
My favorite not the best, hmm... possibly the Grado SR60 which was extremely fun and energetic, but doesn't hold a candle to my current headphones in every technical metric - but a long margin.post #254 of 3034/17/14 at 8:04pmQuote:
Yes, I agree, I liked the 60 when I had it. Much more so than the 325, ugh that one had my ears on fire!post #255 of 3034/17/14 at 9:42pm
MS1, very fun sounding with a more 'bouncy' sounding bass and more sparkly treble than my other pair of HD558. However it lacks the overall texture detail, soundstage expansiveness and seperation of its more expensive counterpart.
- Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 19 seconds ago
- › New Releases 2015 - No Records Released Before 2015 1 minute ago
- › What should I use to power my HD650s for PC gaming? 2 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › whats so special about planar magnetic headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Any other headphones with HD 600 sized earcups? 5 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 6 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2