Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K240 'Sextett'tagged by RUMAY408, 9/2/13
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Protagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by Byrnie, 9/2/13
- productFostex T20RP mkIItagged by dwayniac, 8/22/13
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF1 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productKoss A250 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by Terja, 8/8/13
- productSony MDR-F1 Full-Open-Air Headphones with Impedance Compensatortagged by nightmancometh, 8/1/13
- productTakstar HI 2050tagged by MrEleventy, 8/8/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- new in the game, colplete set-up. Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best headphones for rock and electronic? Last post on 6/24/14 at 3:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for DNA Sonett Last post on 3/26/14 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good headphones for metal (max $500) Last post on 3/21/14 at 6:58am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
I’ll be honest. When I was offered a review unit of the Turbines, I was not really looking forward to reviewing them. The CGI render of the Turbines that Ghostek commonly uses for promotion...
Review: Cleer DU High Definition Dual-Driver Headphone Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is the Audio Expo North...
The ED9 is overall a good and very funny iem from China. build + design: The metal housing shows confidence and it looks like it won't break for a long time. I did like the looks...
(Player: Cowon Plenue D ; Earphone: JH5) Before I start, I must say that this was not the beginning of my experience with the brand cables. I own the Ares cable also (first model) and make...
Your favourite "not the best" headphones? - Page 13post #181 of 3878/6/13 at 7:27am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 3878/6/13 at 7:51ampost #183 of 3878/6/13 at 9:57amQuote:
my reason for saying that it has derailed was because the whole threads topic was about headphones that weren't necessarily "Hi-Fi" but were still good fun, however now the thread has reached the point where it is the same as, let's say a forum disputing which flagship headphones are most appealed, or a thread about what headphones are the best headphonespost #184 of 3878/6/13 at 10:05amQuote:
That's a bit logical, people are just trying to explain why they would "not look for the best".
If they indicate at same time a "lesser" model they enjoy more, I'd think it's on topic.post #185 of 3878/6/13 at 10:17am
I think the point of the thread is to identify phones that may exceed strongly in one area, but not in others, but that one area makes them great to use.
For instance, ATH W3000ANVs for their great vocals.post #186 of 3878/6/13 at 12:52pmQuote:Quote:
fair enoughpost #187 of 3878/6/13 at 12:55pmpost #188 of 3878/6/13 at 12:57pmAlso remember that with different budgets come different mentalities; to someone who has the 1.5k to throw away on an LCD-3, the HD650 seems like "good but not the best," whereas to me, HD650s are as high as I will go unless I get a much better job, so to me, my "favorite not the best" phones are (like you) the HD439 and SE215.Quote:Originally Posted by EuphonicArin
my reason for saying that it has derailed was because the whole threads topic was about headphones that weren't necessarily "Hi-Fi" but were still good fun, however now the thread has reached the point where it is the same as, let's say a forum disputing which flagship headphones are most appealed, or a thread about what headphones are the best headphonespost #189 of 3878/6/13 at 12:59pmpost #190 of 3878/6/13 at 3:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gilly87
Also remember that with different budgets come different mentalities; to someone who has the 1.5k to throw away on an LCD-3, the HD650 seems like "good but not the best," whereas to me, HD650s are as high as I will go unless I get a much better job, so to me, my "favorite not the best" phones are (like you) the HD439 and SE215.
BTW After I did the extra holes mod my headphones, in combination with the open back + no fabric are sounding: extra detailed, have great speed, and have a nicer mids, bass, and treblepost #191 of 3878/6/13 at 9:05pm
+1 to add to this topic -- the word "favourite" (OP must be British or something,,, anyway back on topic) somewhat qualifies what this thread is about. To me that represents a headphone that you keep coming back to over and over even though you have technically better performing headphones in your stable. I don't think the intent is to list headphones that are simply 'best sound for buck.' For example I have a Koss Portapro that is by all accounts a great 'sound for buck' headphone, but I didn't list it simply because I do not listen to it that much - it's not my favorite go-to headphone. This I think widens what can be posted here - the scope is as wide as the headphone market is basically.post #192 of 3878/6/13 at 11:12pmAnyone who lives in a commonwealth country that had been under british rule uses british english too. So anyway yeah the vote for favourite not the best headphone is for headphones that we still like even though we have possesion to more expensive and capable gear. This cannot apply to those who only have one headphone thoughpost #193 of 3878/6/13 at 11:38pmpost #194 of 3878/7/13 at 8:27am
Sweet, I might try that when I have some extra dough for a second pair.
- Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › USB Cable popularity check 31 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 3 minutes ago
- › Wikiphonia 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Limited Edition Ultrasone Tribute 7 Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Football (Soccer) Fans Gather 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by ekolite
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...