Hi, I am really new to headphones and hi-fi. I am vastly inexperienced and have never listened to headphones other than Beats Studio and Beats Pro.
I currently have a Beats Pro and I think it's time to grow out of it. So after much deliberation I purchased ATH W1000x, which is coming next week.
Now, I think I want an amplifier with that. It doesn't have to be portable, and am currently looking at Schiit Asgard 2.
I am a student with limited budget and want to make the most out of my expenditure.
My questions are:
1. Do I need an amp with ATH W1000x, given that it is a fairly low-impedance headphone?
2. If I move on to purchase other headphones later down the road that are 300ohm-ish, would I need an amplifier bigger/more capable than Asgard 2?
3. Given the sound signature of ATH W1000x, is the Asgard2 a good match (compensate each other)?
4. Are there any other suggestions for an amp between $100~$300 range?
5. I currently own a macbook pro retina. How much would I benefit from getting a DAC?
Your speedy reply is much appreciated as I need to head out of the United States in a few weeks and want to order any necessary items before I go back home.
Thank you for your time.