Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › What's the best amp for HD800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the best amp for HD800 - Page 9

post #121 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
 

 

They do come up for sale, if you're patient.  That said, your listening tastes clearly run completely counter to my own, and to most listeners here.  I'm not sure you want my suggestions.

 

Hi Sherwood,

 

As much as I like the Beta 22, I probably won't go into that route because of my concerns dealing with after-sales service and things like that.

 

I also apologize if my tastes are rather esoteric. I am relatively new to headphones so my benchmark is a little different to you headphone guys. For reference, I like Krell and Mark Levinson equipments the most. :-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

 

A violectric V200 or Luxman P1 might work for you.

 

There is also the Burson HA-160. It does make the HD800 a little flabby in the bass, like a tube amp. But on the other hand it is very warm and inviting and has some punch to it. It is a bit of a strange amp, and very seldom recommended for the HD800. But hey.... if you don't like the Taurus and MK2 your tastes are clearly not like other people so what the heck, give it a try.

 

Hi TwoEars,

 

Thank you for the suggestions. The Luxman may be difficult to audition directly but I know dealers who have Vioelectric and Burson amplifiers so I can give them a ring and arrange an audition session. Seems that they have no balanced outputs though?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707050/beta22-3-channel

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616399/3-channel-beta-22-with-backplane-2nd-price-reduction

 

If you like the B22 sound, then you may also like the V200

 

Hi preproman,

 

I consulted the builder whom built the very impressive Beta 22 that I had the pleasure to listen with and he explained that the first one has too little voltage gain and the second one has too much gain. He also said that he does not recommend active ground scenario and instead go for fully differential balanced config.

 

Still I thank you for the suggestions.

 

Thinking about it seems the options for high-end solid state amp is limited when it comes to headphone world... perhaps I should consider tube amps after all.

 

Cheers everyone,

Jeremiah

post #122 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahS View Post

As much as I like the Beta 22, I probably won't go into that route because of my concerns dealing with after-sales service and things like that.

 

 

Ah, but that is where it shines!  Open source schematics mean that any competent tech can work on it.  Service is a breeze, if you ask around here for help.

post #123 of 533

Anybody heard the HD800 on a Decware CSP3? Seems like that ought to be a real good match.

post #124 of 533
The CSP2+ is an excellent match. Not quite up to the levels of a BA or Zana Deux, but very solid nonetheless. I would imagine the 3 is no different (same schematic no?).
post #125 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahS View Post
 

 

Thank you for the suggestions. The Luxman may be difficult to audition directly but I know dealers who have Vioelectric and Burson amplifiers so I can give them a ring and arrange an audition session. Seems that they have no balanced outputs though?

 

 

Don't get too hung up on that, there are plenty of stellar SE amps and some mediocre balanced ones.

post #126 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I had the Liquid Fire and really liked it, my vote however would be for the GS-X. For a tube amp option, the  Stratus looks like a real winner.

 

I just heard the HD-800 paired with the GS-XMKII today at the T.H.E. Show at Newport.  I was simply stunned.  It ran circles around my WA5LE.  I've never heard such accurate, deep bass out of the HD800.  I would put this one at the top of the short list.  I've listened to many HD800 pairings, this one is very special.  

 

It was on the same playing field as the Stax SR-009 with the Blue Hawaii, which was sitting right next to this HD800 rig.  


Edited by reeltime - 6/1/14 at 4:14pm
post #127 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post
 

 

I just heard the HD-800 paired with the GS-XMKII today at the T.H.E. Show at Newport.  I was simply stunned.  It ran circles around my WA5LE.  I've never heard such accurate, deep bass out of the HD800.  I would put this one at the top of the short list.  I've listened to many HD800 pairings, this one is very special.  

 

It was on the same playing field as the Stax SR-009 with the Blue Hawaii, which was sitting right next to this HD800 rig.  

Yep, the combo of the GS-X MKII + HD800 in balanced is simply stunning.  I have the HD800+GS-X MII in my system for the last few months and the two just sound stunning together.  Excellent resolution at all ranges and clean clean bass.  


Edited by purk - 6/1/14 at 5:34pm
post #128 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post
 

 

I just heard the HD-800 paired with the GS-XMKII today at the T.H.E. Show at Newport.  I was simply stunned.  It ran circles around my WA5LE.  I've never heard such accurate, deep bass out of the HD800.  I would put this one at the top of the short list.  I've listened to many HD800 pairings, this one is very special.  

 

It was on the same playing field as the Stax SR-009 with the Blue Hawaii, which was sitting right next to this HD800 rig.  

I agree with your first part...but I gotta say that my SR-009/KGSSHV is still a cut above to my ears.

post #129 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I agree with your first part...but I gotta say that my SR-009/KGSSHV is still a cut above to my ears.

 

Yeah, I was purposeful with the words "same playing field".  I think the Stax has an edge, but they're surprisingly close.

post #130 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post
 

 

Yeah, I was purposeful with the words "same playing field".  I think the Stax has an edge, but they're surprisingly close.

Get it home and it's not as close as you'd think. ;)

post #131 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Get it home and it's not as close as you'd think. ;)

I'd love to take that challenge.  My wife and my wallet wouldn't.  

post #132 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post

I'd love to take that challenge.  My wife and my wallet wouldn't.  

I've taken it for the better part of a year and a half. smily_headphones1.gif
post #133 of 533

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude31se.html

 

analog design labs prelude 3.1 se.  while not cheap at 3300 bucks, this thing is certainly up there with the best of the best with hd 800. it's smaller brother the Svetlana 2 has had a stellar review here, hd 800 was a very good match with it. and you can be sure your neighbor w'ont have one.

post #134 of 533

so got out of this forum the following to choose to drive the hd-800 "

 

GS-X mk2
Headphone/Pre-Amp

 

 Prelude3.1-SE  

 

Bakoon - HPA-21 Headphone Amplifier

 

AudioValve RKV Headphone Tubes Amplifier

 

masskobo 394

 

cavalli liquid gold 

 

does anyone have a chance to volunteer his time for the sake of the public and try them all out at some expo show side by side with hd-800 and share us what he found ?

post #135 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstern View Post

so got out of this forum the following to choose to drive the hd-800 "

GS-X mk2

Headphone/Pre-Amp


 Prelude3.1-SE  

Bakoon - HPA-21 Headphone Amplifier




AudioValve RKV Headphone Tubes Amplifier

masskobo 394

cavalli liquid gold 

does anyone have a chance to volunteer his time for the sake of the public and try them all out at some expo show side by side with hd-800 and share us what he found ?

Some nice amps on that list. Haven't gone through entire thread, but I am surprised there aren't more tube amps on that list as I always thought that hd800 could really benefit from tube warmth. In any case, just found out getting my gsx soon. Ordered hd800 with them as well. So I'll be able to compare hd800 with gsx and EC 2a3 MKIV.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › What's the best amp for HD800