Ok. So I have always hated my Q701's for their total lack of bass...impact, whatever...they just SUCKED for what I listen to which is mostly pop, rock, trance, and a little classical thrown in. I 1st heard about this mod a year or so ago, but perhaps due to lack of explanation/pics/etc I decided to be a wussy man about it.
I don't know how or why I stumbled upon this AWESOME thread for the 1st time today, but I did. I'd love to thank all of you individually, but in my excitement I just did my best to remember everything you all taught me and went for it! I was a "little" hesitant w/ a few of the comments complaining about lack of detail, loss of airy-ness, etc. But damned if I wasn't gonna try!!!
I'm SUPER HAPPY I DID AND KE$HA SOUNDS GREAT!! Screw you guys, I listen to Britney too. About the sound quality...well, I'm not so great @ using terms like decay and what not, so here it is in Jod terms:
-more boom boom
-less boring, lol
Vocals do feel like they've taken a bit of a back seat and specific notes/instruments are not as "out there" as before, but I'm assuming this is because the bass is where it has always needed to be. Is it different? Yes. Do I like it? You have no idea. This is hands down the coolest mod I've ever done to a headphone.
The one thing I did not see was a step by step pictorial guide. So here it is (camera was in 640x480 mode, sorry!):
1. OMG! What am I doing?! LOOK @ all the wires!!!
This is the LEFT side w/ the mini XLR. DO NOT DO THIS ONE FIRST!! The wires, specifically that yellow one is VERY short. Pulling off the cap was very difficult and I had to use quite a bit of force. Start w/ the RIGHT side so you get a feel for how it's done.
2. START W/ THE RIGHT GRILL!! Find a thumb tack. It's too fat to go all the way through, so don't worry about poking anything. Once you have penetrated the hole of your choice (just the tip), gently, but forcefully begin to rotate counter clockwise. You should notice the grill spin ever so slightly.
3. Now just "pry" open w/ the tack or turn over and it should fall off. You can see the mechanism and peeking out from the shadows is...
4. THE FOAMY! Pick up, place on desk. Don't forget which side is which. Honestly, I have no idea if this matters, but one side is darker than the other.
5. 2 screws! UNSCREW them!! Sadly, I did not snap a photo for the next step, so I'll do my best here:
a. The cover is "snapped" in on the L and R sides w/ one of those little "plastic hook" thingamajigs that push out.
b. Start w/ the one on the right (it was easier for me) by pushing in and up...carefully.
c. Be mindful of the wire guide covers as those also need to be "popped" out.
d. The left side was very difficult for me, so be aware you may need to use some trickery here.
6. Honestly...to me...it looks like one of those little band-aids for razer cuts, lol.
7. All you really need to do here is pry the tape/glue up enough to get hold of it with...
8. Tweezers! I use LA CROSS. High quality from Wal-Mart. You'll need to do quite a bit of pulling here, but it worked for me.
9. I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
10. Lastly, apply the stickers.