Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Life after washing machine / Shure SE530
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Life after washing machine / Shure SE530

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
So, 3 years ago I've thrown my workout clothes into washing machine with SE530 inside one of jacket's pockets. When I took em out headphones were almost dead, begging to put the last nail in their coffin but it was kinda hard to do with headphones worth of $500 back then. Sound was about 5-10% on 100% volume on any DAP.

3 years forward I thrown out everything what came with them except the headphones themselves since I coudn't find them.
So, finally found them and gave them a shot, I was quite amazed! I can't go past 80% since it gets really loud in my iPod/iPhone.
Looks like everything works fine, can't say where to look the only thing I spotted so far is total lack of bass.

Is it something Shure SE530 lacks indeed? Can't remind their performance back then. Some google results gave me similar comments from other owners.
And I'm interested what I might be missing in long run if I'll be using these headphones from now on?
Edited by tcgc - 4/18/13 at 10:51am
post #2 of 16

I have washed and dry (accidentally) ADDIEMS, Monster Jams, Monster Turbines and Bose IE2s. All of them have survived without any issues. I know that isn't any help but I thought it was noteworthy.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post

I have washed and dry (accidentally) ADDIEMS, Monster Jams, Monster Turbines and Bose IE2s. All of them have survived without any issues. I know that isn't any help but I thought it was noteworthy.

 

So looks like I can go fine with these guys, just wanted to know if they will be missing something I can't spot by now. Thanks for input man.

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgc View Post

So, 3 years ago I've thrown my workout clothes into washing machine with SE530 inside one of jacket's pockets. When I took em out headphones were almost dead, begging to put the last nail in their coffin but it was kinda hard to do with headphones worth of $500 back then. Sound was about 5-10% on 100% volume on any DAP.

3 years forward I thrown out everything what came with them except the headphones themselves since I coudn't find them.
So, finally found them and gave them a shot, I was quite amazed! I can't go past 80% since it gets really loud in my iPod/iPhone.
Looks like everything works fine, can't say where to look the only thing I spotted so far is total lack of bass.

Is it something Shure SE530 lacks indeed? Can't remind their performance back then. Some google results gave me similar comments from other owners.
And I'm interested what I might be missing in long run if I'll be using these headphones from now on?

They should have some bass. SE530 is bass light, but bass is present. Maybe you broke a woofer? But still, if you think these kind of things are going to happen often, don't buy balanced armature iems. They are super sensitive to moisture. That is unless it's water proof though.

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post

I have washed and dry (accidentally) ADDIEMS, Monster Jams, Monster Turbines and Bose IE2s. All of them have survived without any issues. I know that isn't any help but I thought it was noteworthy.

No offence but I think you have a pretty bad record at keeping your things tongue.gif

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN-0015 View Post

No offence but I think you have a pretty bad record at keeping your things tongue.gif


None taken. I have a wife that aggressively keeps a very clean house and an empty laundry basket. IEMs tend to be difficult to detect in a pocket.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgc View Post

So, 3 years ago I've thrown my workout clothes into washing machine with SE530 inside one of jacket's pockets. When I took em out headphones were almost dead, begging to put the last nail in their coffin but it was kinda hard to do with headphones worth of $500 back then. Sound was about 5-10% on 100% volume on any DAP.


3 years forward I thrown out everything what came with them except the headphones themselves since I coudn't find them.

So, finally found them and gave them a shot, I was quite amazed! I can't go past 80% since it gets really loud in my iPod/iPhone.

Looks like everything works fine, can't say where to look the only thing I spotted so far is total lack of bass.


Is it something Shure SE530 lacks indeed? Can't remind their performance back then. Some google results gave me similar comments from other owners.

And I'm interested what I might be missing in long run if I'll be using these headphones from now on?
They should have some bass. SE530 is bass light, but bass is present. Maybe you broke a woofer? But still, if you think these kind of things are going to happen often, don't buy balanced armature iems. They are super sensitive to moisture. That is unless it's water proof though.

Well, funny thing is I take OEM iPhone 4 headphones with me now for a workout and nothing like it happened since. Actually it happened only once in my lifetime. Well, there is some bass still but not as much as I got used to via Beyers DT-770
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgc View Post


Well, funny thing is I take OEM iPhone 4 headphones with me now for a workout and nothing like it happened since. Actually it happened only once in my lifetime. Well, there is some bass still but not as much as I got used to via Beyers DT-770

It may just be that SE535 are bass light. Well, at least sub-bass light.

post #9 of 16

Check any graph. Spreading myths. You may prefer more bass but it is not bass light.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

It may just be that SE535 are bass light. Well, at least sub-bass light.

 I agree somewhat with that. I would word it as lacks body in the bass but that is pretty much the down to the sound signature across the whole range imo. A very good iem, fun? not really, warm? no, highly detailed? yes and not a million miles away from Phonak Audeo`s detail.

 

But (My opinion in general not just 535)...

No bass = A poor seal

Good seal and lacking bass = tip selection (foam)

Good seal and bass = Silicone

 

Again, that`s how I find it.

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

 I agree somewhat with that. I would word it as lacks body in the bass but that is pretty much the down to the sound signature across the whole range imo. A very good iem, fun? not really, warm? no, highly detailed? yes and not a million miles away from Phonak Audeo`s detail.

 

But (My opinion in general not just 535)...

No bass = A poor seal

Good seal and lacking bass = tip selection (foam)

Good seal and bass = Silicone

 

Again, that`s how I find it.

I find it to have adequate mid bass, but sub-bass is rolled off. All the graphs show bass as well extended, but most owners finds it lacking a bit in sub bass.

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

It may just be that SE535 are bass light. Well, at least sub-bass light.

 I agree somewhat with that. I would word it as lacks body in the bass but that is pretty much the down to the sound signature across the whole range imo. A very good iem, fun? not really, warm? no, highly detailed? yes and not a million miles away from Phonak Audeo`s detail.

 

But (My opinion in general not just 535)...

No bass = A poor seal

Good seal and lacking bass = tip selection (foam)

Good seal and bass = Silicone

 

Again, that`s how I find it.

 

Hm, interesting, I'll try to change the tips. Might help. Thanks.

post #13 of 16

i have the se530 with the btg audio removeable cable mod currently using the westone epic cable.

 

with bass boost switched on with my c421 comparing the se530 to my tf10 the se530 have just as much bass if not more. actually the bass with the se530 is pretty impressive, they get low, very controlled and tight. i also feel they have a good ammount of slam to the bass......thats just me and it might be the cable adding to the sound. none the less the se530 do have bass. its just not a bass heavy iem nor is ther se535 

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

i have the se530 with the btg audio removeable cable mod currently using the westone epic cable.

 

with bass boost switched on with my c421 comparing the se530 to my tf10 the se530 have just as much bass if not more. actually the bass with the se530 is pretty impressive, they get low, very controlled and tight. i also feel they have a good ammount of slam to the bass......thats just me and it might be the cable adding to the sound. none the less the se530 do have bass. its just not a bass heavy iem nor is ther se535 

yes, se535 and 530 reacts well to bassboost.

post #15 of 16

Reading this with interest!

 

Last weekend my wife washed my SE535's (in pocket of workout clothes) she brought me a very soggy pouch containing with my custom moulds and my very wet Se535's and my iphone accessory cable and said quite nicely that "these probably won't work again"...

 

Although I silently agreed with her I thought i'd give them a go, and there was life, not a lot but it was definitely there.

 

I took off the cable and then left them tip up for any vapour to escape for a day in a very sunny window to gently heat them through.There was more sound, quiet through the whole range and definitely missing a whole lot of treble and mid but they seemed to be recovering.

 

In the meantime I'm looking for new ones and wondering how to convince herself and me that a second pair won't go the same way as the first!

 

I thought i'd leave them for a few more days, swapped out the cables back to the (mostly unused) originals as I thought the music controller may have been damaged and didn't want to write them off too quickly for that reason.

 

They were back!!! They were like new, I gave them a run in overnight at a reasonably high volume just to loosen them up again and the morning after they were pretty much back to normal.

 

I then swapped the cables back out again to the music controller and again it all worked!

 

So if you've washed them maybe it's worth just sticking with them, put them somewhere dry and warm (or in a bag of rice to draw out the moisture) and don't expect immediate results. I may just have been very lucky but they were in that washing machine for nearly two hours so they must be built like tanks!

 

I've since spoken to Shure and they advise that should I have any more issues they can do a service exchange for a reduced price on new (as being in a washing machine is not a warranty issue!), but that if they are working then why spend the money!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Life after washing machine / Shure SE530