Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need Help Buying First Customs: JH16 vs Heir Audio 8.A vs UM Miracle/Merlin vs Westone ES5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Help Buying First Customs: JH16 vs Heir Audio 8.A vs UM Miracle/Merlin vs Westone ES5 - Page 2

post #16 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjklli11 View Post


Glad you made ur choice, however I need to point out that CIEMs may not suit everybody. For me, I find the universals are more preferable as it is easier to be taken off my ears, so I wont miss out any conversation. A perfect seal on CIEMs means you hear absolutely nothing from the outside, which is dangerous when you try cross the street with them on. I would recommend you only to use CIEMs at home. Also CIEMs require regular cleaning and needs to be taken good care of!! The fact that they are customised makes them very hard to be resold to a second person. They will even cost u more money considering a possible remold in the future. I'm not trying to persuade u not to get them. But they are just not for everyone, don't get too excited like me when getting the first CIEM. There are quite a few high-end universals that are on par or even better soudning than most of the customs nowadays. And they retain a higher resell value!!! In my opinion, customs are designed particularly for singers on the stage to block out those massive ambient noise. As an ordinary person, u wouldn't be exposed to that amount of noise. The fitness the customs provide can be achieved by choosing the right ear tips for the universals... Again that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to prove that CIEMs are not worth getting. Some may argue that CIEMs provide a better sound stage or presentation and they are not wrong with that. I just don't feel it personally, I believe it is more about the signature of the headphone itself.
If you are looking for a portable headphone for outside use, CIEMs is not for you. If you are looking for one for home use, there are many on ear or over the ear heAdphones that give you even better comfort and sound. Well, I just find the customs in an awkward position within the entire headphone industry. The fact that singers use them on TV doesn't make them superior or better. In fact, it is likely to be the trend that more and more universal IEMs will match up against CIEMs, we already had some examples like tg334 & 1plus2.

 

Thanks for letting me know. Resale value is not priority for me, as I am yet to resell any of my electronics. I usually just give away computer parts to family or friends that need them. And don't have enough audio gear to sell.

 

That being said, I really want a custom. Paying $1300 for an universal is just too much money. I like good isolation. I hate the active noise cancellation headphones that I have to use on planes, these would be mostly for air travel and home listening.

 

Thanks for all the warnings though, will certainly keep them in mind.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Sounds like you should go for the 8.As. There are a few going on the FS forums for around $850. JH16 and the Merlins may also be a good choice. The rest are more flat and not very bass heavy. 

 

 

 

Its a choice right now between the 8.A JH16 and Merlins. The Merlin looks like it would be best bang for the buck. I wish I thought of this when Heir Audio was still having that promotion. I will look around in FS forums for a 8.A if I decide to go that route.

 

Thanks!

post #17 of 63
You should look at average_joe's custom IEM review and comparisons. I'm pretty sure he compares the JH16 to the Heir 8.A. I don't think that he has a merlin though.
post #18 of 63

Well, I was also deciding between jh16 pro, and the um merlins/miracles.  I saved up for 2 weeks and ultimately pulled the trigger on the jh16's yesterday due to the fact that UM is made in china.  Nothing against china, but I just hear enough horror stories about um(and other products) shipments from china to stay away. 

 

But maybe I pulled the trigger too fast.  I'm hearing something about freqphase with the jh16pros, and so now I'm wondering whether or not all current and future jh16's come with the freqphase technology.  I looked all over their website, and there was no mention of freqphase.  Basically, I don't want it because it eliminates the bass.

post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

Well, I was also deciding between jh16 pro, and the um merlins/miracles.  I saved up for 2 weeks and ultimately pulled the trigger on the jh16's yesterday due to the fact that UM is made in china.  Nothing against china, but I just hear enough horror stories about um(and other products) shipments from china to stay away. 

But maybe I pulled the trigger too fast.  I'm hearing something about freqphase with the jh16pros, and so now I'm wondering whether or not all current and future jh16's come with the freqphase technology.  I looked all over their website, and there was no mention of freqphase.  Basically, I don't want it because it eliminates the bass.
I have JH16. Frankly speaking, the built quality isn't better than UM series, it is actually the other way around... I have compared them so I know it. JH used to be notorious for its poor built quality. UM IEMs are really well made. I don't think you should worry too much about they are being made in China.
post #20 of 63

basically its not the quality, it's the logistics of shipping that I'm worried about.  I have a cousin who still hasn't gotten his merlins and it's been nearly a year.  They told him they shipped it a long time ago and he's pretty much SOL.  But before that, he had to send them 2 molds because the 1st ones never reached them, it just disappeared along the way.
 

post #21 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

You should look at average_joe's custom IEM review and comparisons. I'm pretty sure he compares the JH16 to the Heir 8.A. I don't think that he has a merlin though.

 

 

Thanks, I just read that. I am liking the 8.A. Found some ones on head-fi that are going for almost the price of a Merlin. That might be good idea. He does say that the Heir Audio 8.A is a warmer set of IEMs. Although I am bit worried about the bass of the 8.A, from everything I am hearing it should not be an issue. I am with chengsta on sending it to China. It might be a bit irrational, I understand that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

Well, I was also deciding between jh16 pro, and the um merlins/miracles.  I saved up for 2 weeks and ultimately pulled the trigger on the jh16's yesterday due to the fact that UM is made in china.  Nothing against china, but I just hear enough horror stories about um(and other products) shipments from china to stay away. 

 

But maybe I pulled the trigger too fast.  I'm hearing something about freqphase with the jh16pros, and so now I'm wondering whether or not all current and future jh16's come with the freqphase technology.  I looked all over their website, and there was no mention of freqphase.  Basically, I don't want it because it eliminates the bass.

 

 

All new JH16 Pros should have freqphase. I do not understand the technology, but from what I have read apparently it reduces the feeling of the instruments being mixed in artificially and makes it more organic. Though I fully do not understand the meaning of it, it sort of makes sense.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

basically its not the quality, it's the logistics of shipping that I'm worried about.  I have a cousin who still hasn't gotten his merlins and it's been nearly a year.  They told him they shipped it a long time ago and he's pretty much SOL.  But before that, he had to send them 2 molds because the 1st ones never reached them, it just disappeared along the way.
 

 

 

 

I am with you on sending impressions to China, it is the shipping and the customs I am worried about. Its a very tiny worry, but its there.

 

How has the interaction with JH Audio been so far? From what I read, it seems mixed reactions.

post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post

 

How has the interaction with JH Audio been so far? From what I read, it seems mixed reactions.

 


Basically, I haven't interacted with them since I uploaded a picture for art and pulled the trigger.  The next step is for me to get a custom ear mold, got an appointment for this friday. 

 

Also, thanks for the answer about the freqphase.  After doing some more research, I guess freqphase is actually better overall.

post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post

 

 

Thanks, I just read that. I am liking the 8.A. Found some ones on head-fi that are going for almost the price of a Merlin. That might be good idea. He does say that the Heir Audio 8.A is a warmer set of IEMs. Although I am bit worried about the bass of the 8.A, from everything I am hearing it should not be an issue. I am with chengsta on sending it to China. It might be a bit irrational, I understand that.

If you don't want to ship to China, you probably shouldn't buy used customs because most companies don't reshell and UM is one of the few which does. I honestly don't know what everyone has against products made in China. UM is China based and has one of the best build qualities. 

post #24 of 63
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

If you don't want to ship to China, you probably shouldn't buy used customs because most companies don't reshell and UM is one of the few which does. I honestly don't know what everyone has against products made in China. UM is China based and has one of the best build qualities. 
I think he is more worried about shipping from China rather than the built quality. It is the risk you must take if you want to buy a CIEM that is made overseas. There are many trusted carriers that deliver goods to China. The risk of losing the package by them is the same as losing one in US and Canada... a very small chance! Perhaps the only way to avoid a possible package loss is choosing the right carrier with insurance. Not which country it's sent to.
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post

 

Thanks for letting me know. Resale value is not priority for me, as I am yet to resell any of my electronics. I usually just give away computer parts to family or friends that need them. And don't have enough audio gear to sell.

 

That being said, I really want a custom. Paying $1300 for an universal is just too much money. I like good isolation. I hate the active noise cancellation headphones that I have to use on planes, these would be mostly for air travel and home listening.

 

Thanks for all the warnings though, will certainly keep them in mind.

 

 

 

 

 

Just throwing a comment into here. I think customs are extremely comfortable even if they are a pain to insert and remove everytime you need to hear something. Of course this is my personal opinion. Some people may not agree with me, and this is common. You might not ever get used to the feel of customs. It all depends. Anyways, after sending my customs for a refit (you should definitely consider this being a possibility), I've come to appreciate the comfort I'm missing. Just another thing to consider.


Edited by EveTan - 4/23/13 at 11:17pm
post #26 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

If you don't want to ship to China, you probably shouldn't buy used customs because most companies don't reshell and UM is one of the few which does. I honestly don't know what everyone has against products made in China. UM is China based and has one of the best build qualities. 

 

 

I have nothing against the quality of the product, just their customs and being able to get through the whole process smoothly. I know it is a little irrational, but I just feel this way since it will be going to the other side of the world. From what I hear, UM has one of the best if not "the" best build out of all CIEMs.

 

The only custom which I might buy used would be Heir Audio for their transfer service.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjklli11 View Post

H
I think he is more worried about shipping from China rather than the built quality. It is the risk you must take if you want to buy a CIEM that is made overseas. There are many trusted carriers that deliver goods to China. The risk of losing the package by them is the same as losing one in US and Canada... a very small chance! Perhaps the only way to avoid a possible package loss is choosing the right carrier with insurance. Not which country it's sent to.

 

 

Which carrier would you say is the best for these things? And a ballpark figure of how much it might cost?

 

Thanks for the help so far!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Just throwing a comment into here. I think customs are extremely comfortable even if they are a pain to insert and remove everytime you need to hear something. Of course this is my personal opinion. Some people may not agree with me, and this is common. You might not ever get used to the feel of customs. It all depends. Anyways, after sending my customs for a refit (you should definitely consider this being a possibility), I've come to appreciate the comfort I'm missing. Just another thing to consider.

 

 

Thanks! It would be really hard to tell without actually using a custom. But its a risk that might be worth it.

 

One thing I have always wondered: What are the costs associated with a refit? And how long usually does it take?

post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post

 

 

I have nothing against the quality of the product, just their customs and being able to get through the whole process smoothly. I know it is a little irrational, but I just feel this way since it will be going to the other side of the world. From what I hear, UM has one of the best if not "the" best build out of all CIEMs.

 

The only custom which I might buy used would be Heir Audio for their transfer service.

 

 

 

 

Which carrier would you say is the best for these things? And a ballpark figure of how much it might cost?

 

Thanks for the help so far!

 

 

 

 

Thanks! It would be really hard to tell without actually using a custom. But its a risk that might be worth it.

 

One thing I have always wondered: What are the costs associated with a refit? And how long usually does it take?

The cost of a refit at UM costs $169 I think. I also heard something about Heir Audio's transfer policy which reshells them for something like $80.

post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks! It would be really hard to tell without actually using a custom. But its a risk that might be worth it.

 

One thing I have always wondered: What are the costs associated with a refit? And how long usually does it take?

Costs are usually just the shipping fees there and back for the monitor within 30 days. It normally takes as long as making the monitors the first round. They basically take the your monitors and recreate another one using the materials from your mal-fitted CIEM. Of course, you'd also have to provide new impressions, which could be the root of the problem. And even with perfect impressions/perfect craftsmanship from the company, there is still a risk that it won't fit properly because your ear is a dynamic cavity while the CIEM is static. Silicone CIEMs are more forgiving as they are more pliable in the ear. 

 

I know this might be out of your budget. But FitEar CIEMs have gotten down to some formula where many do not require a refit. I have no idea how they do it, but I know they're strict with the way they want their impressions. Although they are acrylic, some say that they have seal capabilities on par with Silicon CIEMs. But that's a thought for the future. I might travel to Japan to purchase one in the near (1-2 years) future.

post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azsamael View Post


I have nothing against the quality of the product, just their customs and being able to get through the whole process smoothly. I know it is a little irrational, but I just feel this way since it will be going to the other side of the world. From what I hear, UM has one of the best if not "the" best build out of all CIEMs.

The only custom which I might buy used would be Heir Audio for their transfer service.




Which carrier would you say is the best for these things? And a ballpark figure of how much it might cost?

Thanks for the help so far!




Thanks! It would be really hard to tell without actually using a custom. But its a risk that might be worth it.

One thing I have always wondered: What are the costs associated with a refit? And how long usually does it take?
Well there are many international carriers that do business within China like DHL, TNT or FedEx. EMS is also a good way to go since you surely won't be taxed on that. Do not send them using regular post. That is the main reason why parcel got lost.
post #30 of 63

I'm always surprised that the jh13 is left out of these compares. People really under rate it's bass response and the rest is detailed with less etch than most. It does not have that extra mid bass that overly warms the mids but once run it in well enough, the mid bass lines up well in connecting the prodigious low bass to the well balanced mids and top.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need Help Buying First Customs: JH16 vs Heir Audio 8.A vs UM Miracle/Merlin vs Westone ES5