Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Question about braiding 2 cables
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about braiding 2 cables

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Hey folks,

want to create a cable for my InEar headphones and for my HD650.

I'm now just wondering how you guys make the cable parts which are going from the y-splitter to the two headphone drivers...

Because for example when I recable my InEars and I braid the two cables from the y-splitter to one of the drivers, would it not twist back with time because it's not like 3 braided cables in a inherent stability...

I can only imagine that the cables hold on the HD650 because the plugs prevent the cables from twisting back...but when I plug it out it twist in normal position again, same for the InEars!?

 

I mean braided from the y-splitter like that:

http://livecables.net/images/P1000897-3.jpg

 

Or have I to glue the braid?

 

Sorry for my English^^

 

Greetings

post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksecret View Post

...

I can only imagine that the cables hold on the HD650 because the plugs prevent the cables from twisting back...but when I plug it out it twist in normal position again, same for the InEars!?

...

No. The wires are twisted together, then terminated to the plug. It's the termination that stops them untwisting, not the fact they are plugged in.

 

Try it for yourself. Twist 2 wires together (or string, or anything really) then fasten the ends with something - it doesn't untwist.

post #3 of 5
The trick to twisting 2 wires together is that when you twist them lets say you are winding them together in a clockwise motion, each wire should be twisted counter clockwise as they are wound. This is how they will not unwind.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavon Vovo View Post

The trick to twisting 2 wires together is that when you twist them lets say you are winding them together in a clockwise motion, each wire should be twisted counter clockwise as they are wound. This is how they will not unwind.

 

can you explain this?  Pardon my stupidity, but I'm sitting here with two wires and I can only figure one way to twist them.  I'm so lost...

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

can you explain this?  Pardon my stupidity, but I'm sitting here with two wires and I can only figure one way to twist them.  I'm so lost...

I am not sure what he was talking about, either, but I find that there is a natural twist to a wire and the twist will stay together if you can find it.  You can also twist the hell out of the wire with a drill (or hand) and basically force it into a tight twist that will stay once you solder the connector on.  

 

You can also search/post in the DIY cable question thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Question about braiding 2 cables