I'm excited to say that a local engineer is letting me demo and review a new headphone amplifier he has made. I have spent some time reading amp reviews and want to make sure that I have all my bases covered for my writeup.
Here are the things I'm planning to do with the amp, and the topics I plan to cover:
- The design, including selection of tubes, ins/outs, and the casing.
- The manufacturing process, where and how the amp is made.
- The "goal" of the amp - what kind of sound is the engineer seeking to achieve?
- Demo the sound with a variety of headphones, and discuss how the amp affects them.
- Try many different kinds of music.
- Take lots of photos.
- Maybe some photos of the shop where the amp is made, if I have the chance.
- Turn the volume up high with no music playing to test for noise.
One question I have is - are there any headphones that are "standard" for testing purposes? I mean, something that many people are familiar with so that I can describe how the amp affects the sound in a way people can relate to?
Please share your thoughts if there is anything else I should be looking for or include in my post.
Edited by sheldonkreger - 4/17/13 at 7:57am