hi everybody. very informative forum! hope i dont sound to negative. here we go... im kinda disappointed with my new HD25-l ll's. the mids are excellent but, the kick drum is lacking. ive also noticed their not loud enough for me going through a zip clip with rockbox. my klipsch over ear cans are very loud through the zip clip. i dont get it. ive been burning in these cans since early wednesday morning. anyways... im impressed enough with the mids to work with these cans. what can i do to get more volume and improve double kick-drum? i listen to mostly metal. kick drum with authority is a must. as much as i hate apple with a passion... im gonna need a larger mp3 player to pair with a portable amp. i need suggestions for a good portable amp that matches well with the HD25's. ive read countless threads of people saying you dont need an amp with these cans. sorry, not going for it. they do. unless all you listen to is classical and accoustic, then no... you dont need one. thanx for any suggestions
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 4/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- sennheiser hd25-II custom earpads for more comfort. Last post on 9/21/14 at 5:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- sennheiser hd25-13-II veiled can't refund Last post on 8/28/14 at 3:35pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendation sought: a custom IEM that sounds like Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/24/14 at 6:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- sennheiser hd25 II or 13 ii amped Last post on 8/21/14 at 10:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones/headset under $200. Last post on 8/8/14 at 5:07am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
HD25-1 ll impression....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
is this JDSLABS C5 a good match for the HD25's? or should i just go with a dac like the microstreamer?
He's speaking the truth. If you enjoy sleeping in silence then you do not want tinnitus. I already have it and basically you'll never hear dead silence again and you'll damage your higher frequency hearing if you already haven't. Maxing out a Clip I would assume to be at least 95dB, which would pretty much permanently damage your hearing within hours.
If you really want to though then just get an E11. Bass-boost would remedy some of the kick (while boosting the punch aka mid-bass even more), but the HD25-ii's are known to have punch, not rumble/kick. You can't really alter that aspect of a headphone without internal modding and even then, modding only can remedy it or alter it to certain points, often while making other aspects of the headphone sound worse.
If you max the E11 out though, you will either be going deaf (figuratively, but pretty close to deaf) within a few months and won't ever be hearing music again or you'll blow out the HD25-ii's drivers before then.
And don't be anal / ungrateful. People recommend what's good for the long term and what is good for your health. If you don't appreciate that on an audiophile forum (where pretty much the entire population of the forum consists of adults), find another. If you really want to damage your hearing, then go right on ahead, but I wouldn't doubt that you'd regret it. I already do and I'm only 17. I can only hear up to 12kHz rather than ~19.5kHz now, aka I can't hear some frequencies of the crickets chirping nor certain aspects of songs. Sometimes the crickets get blocked out my tinnitus when it's dead silent because it's that loud / attention-grabbing. Mosquito's buzzing sound has been long gone and I liked that so I can find where the hell they are and kill them when they're in my house.
And really, you won't need an amp unless your sole purpose is to drive them to deafening levels (to the point where people around you can hear your music, even though it is a closed headphone. That is beyond deafening). Sound quality won't change at all (unless you have like superhuman hearing, and even then, I doubt there would be much of a change if any).
Here's a dB chart.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 4/14/13 at 4:46pm
Not enough bass impact? They've got a lot and plenty with a Fiio E11, bass boost at 2, volume at 2 (slightly less in order to not screw with your hearing).
The HD25-II are lacking in 'oomph' without an amp, in my opinion. With my ipod classic, the bass is barely present.
The hd25 II 1 are not so good for metal, and are overhyped here.
Try an other headphone that match better your taste.
Although they don't have the mid bass emphasis of the hd25
I thought that the srh940 are great for metal (now beware of built quality).
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 4/15/13 at 6:32am
T50p has more than HD25, M80 has a bit more than either if he doesn't care for the reduced isolation.
Edited by Mad Max - 4/15/13 at 6:58am
I didn't wan't to be an ass, but it sounded like you needed it. With an amp you mostly will get a fuller, more controlled sound. But for the ooomph you should audition other headsets maybe to compare for yourself. They need to be bigger, basically. Well, in my humble experience that has proven to be true.
- HD25-1 ll impression....
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 7 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Amplifier or ampdac or separates for my Heir Audio 5 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)