hi everybody. very informative forum! hope i dont sound to negative. here we go... im kinda disappointed with my new HD25-l ll's. the mids are excellent but, the kick drum is lacking. ive also noticed their not loud enough for me going through a zip clip with rockbox. my klipsch over ear cans are very loud through the zip clip. i dont get it. ive been burning in these cans since early wednesday morning. anyways... im impressed enough with the mids to work with these cans. what can i do to get more volume and improve double kick-drum? i listen to mostly metal. kick drum with authority is a must. as much as i hate apple with a passion... im gonna need a larger mp3 player to pair with a portable amp. i need suggestions for a good portable amp that matches well with the HD25's. ive read countless threads of people saying you dont need an amp with these cans. sorry, not going for it. they do. unless all you listen to is classical and accoustic, then no... you dont need one. thanx for any suggestions
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 4/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Been out of the loop for awhile, need recommendations on PHA... Presently own RSA Last post on 12/2/13 at 11:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Should I return the Galaxy S4? Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:40pm in Portable Source Gear
- RSA "The Intruder" or ALO "The International" or "Other" ??? Last post on 11/26/13 at 8:18am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Searching a new MP3 player Last post on 11/23/13 at 2:34pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hd251-ii vs Facelift Beyer DT-1350 for commuting, halp! Last post on 11/17/13 at 10:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
HD25-1 ll impression....post #1 of 244/14/13 at 5:27amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 244/14/13 at 7:25amThread Starter
is this JDSLABS C5 a good match for the HD25's? or should i just go with a dac like the microstreamer?post #3 of 244/14/13 at 8:12amThread Starterpost #4 of 244/14/13 at 9:44ampost #5 of 244/14/13 at 4:10pmThread Starterpost #6 of 244/14/13 at 4:33pm
He's speaking the truth. If you enjoy sleeping in silence then you do not want tinnitus. I already have it and basically you'll never hear dead silence again and you'll damage your higher frequency hearing if you already haven't. Maxing out a Clip I would assume to be at least 95dB, which would pretty much permanently damage your hearing within hours.
If you really want to though then just get an E11. Bass-boost would remedy some of the kick (while boosting the punch aka mid-bass even more), but the HD25-ii's are known to have punch, not rumble/kick. You can't really alter that aspect of a headphone without internal modding and even then, modding only can remedy it or alter it to certain points, often while making other aspects of the headphone sound worse.
If you max the E11 out though, you will either be going deaf (figuratively, but pretty close to deaf) within a few months and won't ever be hearing music again or you'll blow out the HD25-ii's drivers before then.
And don't be anal / ungrateful. People recommend what's good for the long term and what is good for your health. If you don't appreciate that on an audiophile forum (where pretty much the entire population of the forum consists of adults), find another. If you really want to damage your hearing, then go right on ahead, but I wouldn't doubt that you'd regret it. I already do and I'm only 17. I can only hear up to 12kHz rather than ~19.5kHz now, aka I can't hear some frequencies of the crickets chirping nor certain aspects of songs. Sometimes the crickets get blocked out my tinnitus when it's dead silent because it's that loud / attention-grabbing. Mosquito's buzzing sound has been long gone and I liked that so I can find where the hell they are and kill them when they're in my house.
And really, you won't need an amp unless your sole purpose is to drive them to deafening levels (to the point where people around you can hear your music, even though it is a closed headphone. That is beyond deafening). Sound quality won't change at all (unless you have like superhuman hearing, and even then, I doubt there would be much of a change if any).
Here's a dB chart.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 4/14/13 at 4:46pmpost #7 of 244/14/13 at 4:46pmpost #8 of 244/14/13 at 4:58pmThread Starterpost #9 of 244/14/13 at 5:07pmpost #10 of 244/14/13 at 8:30pmpost #11 of 244/15/13 at 4:30ampost #12 of 244/15/13 at 4:38am
Not enough bass impact? They've got a lot and plenty with a Fiio E11, bass boost at 2, volume at 2 (slightly less in order to not screw with your hearing).
The HD25-II are lacking in 'oomph' without an amp, in my opinion. With my ipod classic, the bass is barely present.post #13 of 244/15/13 at 6:00am
The hd25 II 1 are not so good for metal, and are overhyped here.
Try an other headphone that match better your taste.
Although they don't have the mid bass emphasis of the hd25
I thought that the srh940 are great for metal (now beware of built quality).
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 4/15/13 at 6:32ampost #14 of 244/15/13 at 6:57amQuote:
T50p has more than HD25, M80 has a bit more than either if he doesn't care for the reduced isolation.
Edited by Mad Max - 4/15/13 at 6:58ampost #15 of 244/15/13 at 7:42amQuote:
I didn't wan't to be an ass, but it sounded like you needed it. With an amp you mostly will get a fuller, more controlled sound. But for the ooomph you should audition other headsets maybe to compare for yourself. They need to be bigger, basically. Well, in my humble experience that has proven to be true.
- HD25-1 ll impression....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Help finding over-ear headphones with good positional audio mostly... 5 seconds ago
- › Harry Nilsson - "The RCA Albums Collection" 42 seconds ago
- › FS: Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 1 minute ago
- › Best closed cans? DT-770 80ohm, AKG k550 , Momentums or Shure 840? 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 5 minutes ago
- › Repurchase UE TF10's, or Philips Fidelio S2?? I'm stumped! 5 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 6 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi