New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RE-400 vs. BA200

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Fight to the death. Who walks out alive?

 

I'm about to pull the trigger on RE-400's, but BA200's are going for $135 on Amazon... forget price though, what sounds better? I have a preference for clean and crispy, mids and highs ftw.

 

Anyone who owns both or who has properly auditioned both please defend your chosen warrior.

post #2 of 24

I have the BA200 and is going to pull the plug on the RE400 when my pay comes.

 

I did ask ClieOS on his opinions about both the RE400 vs the BA200 (he has reviewed both), since the descriptions sound similar to what I heard from the BA200 and he gave me this

 

Quote:
Yes, they do share some degree of similarity. BA200 is the better of the two, offering greater resolution and richer tone, also slightly better extension at both ends. Overall, it is more musical as well.

 

I think Techno Kid would also have experience in this area since he has both the RE400 and the BA200 as well.

post #3 of 24
Don't forget Klipsch Image X10. They share similar sound signature. For me BA200 = X10 > RE400.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulus View Post

Fight to the death. Who walks out alive?

 

I'm about to pull the trigger on RE-400's, but BA200's are going for $135 on Amazon... forget price though, what sounds better? I have a preference for clean and crispy, mids and highs ftw.

 

Anyone who owns both or who has properly auditioned both please defend your chosen warrior.

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

 

"Better" is so overgeneralized and ripe for criticisms regarding the semantics. But the HiFiMans would be more crisp and clear. Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs.

post #5 of 24
The only thing the RE400 does better is lower midrange clarity by a hair. BA200 is in another level [better bass and treble extension, better treble presence, clearer midhighs, better transients/separation] BUT its a lot less user friendly, as it needs short narrow bore tips and deep fit to sound at its best
post #6 of 24

I just bought hifiman's re-400 for 100$, I feel kinda silly not buying TDK ba200 for 120$ (they're on sale on amazon).

Sound-wise I've read the tdk is considered better overall, considering soundstage especially

 

Thing is, I can't get a refund, I'm from abroad.But I do want to contemplate my order:

 

A really important aspect of my listening experience is comfort! Is the RE-400 more comfortable in any way compared to the TDK? In practical everyday usage comfort is as important as sound signature. Is the TDK more cumbersome to handle and insert than the re-400?

 

Thank you, just trying not to regret my order (:


Edited by nadavnaz - 7/5/13 at 4:55am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavnaz View Post
A really important aspect of my listening experience is comfort! Is the RE-400 more comfortable in any way compared to the TDK? In practical everyday usage comfort is as important as sound signature. Is the TDK more cumbersome to handle and insert than the re-400?

 

 

 

That is too personal to comment on with certainty in my view. I don't have issues inserting BA-200 but you might. One respected reviewer has said this about BA-200 shape and design and I agree, especially when I compare fitting them as opposed to RE-272 (Both designs intended for over the ear wire):

 

"I will go ahead and say right off the bat that the shape of the BA200 is one of the best conceived for over-the-ear style in-ear monitors around. With respect to styling cues; far superior ergonomics. You could say the TDK BA200 has advanced to the next stage of evolution for those housings"


Edited by FieldingMellish - 7/5/13 at 4:54am
post #8 of 24

The TDK was surprisingly very comfortable and doesn't feel "worn". The cables easily fold over my ears.

 

FYI when I received my BA200 it had a 4' cord and no extension. I guess TDK revised the specs to have a longer cord instead etysmile.gif

post #9 of 24

I guess I'll just have to enjoy my new RE-400, as long as I don't know what I missed out on there's not reason to be sad.

post #10 of 24

I'd love to hear more people elaborate about the differences between the two

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavnaz View Post

I guess I'll just have to enjoy my new RE-400, as long as I don't know what I missed out on there's not reason to be sad.

Exactly the right attitude to have. If you like the music that's in your ears, what is there to worry about?
post #12 of 24

148$ is the cheapest ba200 can be had through Ebay (Australia). Anyone knows of any other site that ships to Australia, cheaper ?
 

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugangel123 View Post

148$ is the cheapest ba200 can be had through Ebay (Australia). Anyone knows of any other site that ships to Australia, cheaper ?
 

Does amazon ship to Australia? they are 120 on there right now

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here


"Better" is so overgeneralized and ripe for criticisms regarding the semantics. But the HiFiMans would be more crisp and clear. Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs.

Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs, due to their monitor-like design intentions and they do have a slightly thicker/voluminous sound, but even given that, they throw out no less detail than the RE-400, so you could say its smoother and less fatiguing. The clarity is just a perceptional quality I think, a bit darker probably but not really less clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

The only thing the RE400 does better is lower midrange clarity by a hair. BA200 is in another level [better bass and treble extension, better treble presence, clearer midhighs, better transients/separation] BUT its a lot less user friendly, as it needs short narrow bore tips and deep fit to sound at its best

I'd probably give the RE-400 better midbass texture too (for lack of a better descriptor), but otherwise would agree with most of this. Less user friendly but shockingly comfortable housings due to light weight and shape. Separation is something that really stands out on the BA200 I think.
Edited by vwinter - 7/5/13 at 11:35am
post #15 of 24

Would you guys say the BA200 sounds similar to SM3? (if anyone has heard both)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: