Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Liquid Gold - Page 2  

post #16 of 406

The Liquid Gold won't work with the 009's, that would be the Liquid Lightning.  

 

Pretty much any DAC will "work", but some sound better than others.  If you're asking about DACs that sound great with the LAu, there are not many users who have heard the amp and they mostly heard it at the same meet in the same setup (JPS labs' NYC meet setup.)  I believe Alex has used Oppo and PerfectWave DACs in his own meet setups, but users have paired his amps with a wide variety of DACs from Ayon to PWD  to Berkeley to Resolution.

post #17 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

The Liquid Gold won't work with the 009's, that would be the Liquid Lightning.  

 

Pretty much any DAC will "work", but some sound better than others.  If you're asking about DACs that sound great with the LAu, there are not many users who have heard the amp and they mostly heard it at the same meet in the same setup (JPS labs' NYC meet setup.)  I believe Alex has used Oppo and PerfectWave DACs in his own meet setups, but users have paired his amps with a wide variety of DACs from Ayon to PWD  to Berkeley to Resolution.

Yes, I can see that any DAC will work, but people tend to be picky about their audio equipment to work on particular ones. What kinds of headphones would work on this headphone amp? 

post #18 of 406

thus far it seems that any headphone will work. It is quiet and does not have too much gain for the sensitive headphones but at the same time has enough voltage swing for the higher impedance, less efficient headphones with oodles of reserve power should either need it. So it really is a matter of choosing a headphone and enjoying the ride. 

 

The source choice is always relative and subjective. This amp will let you see whatever you put in the front of it, so it has to be something that you like the sound signature of or else you might be disappointed. I personally really enjoyed the NAD M51 over the other dacs I have heard it with but I have not heard it with some of the heavy hitters such as the resonance dac which seems to have found favour amongst several members.  ( it clearly showed the odac as an inferior source to give you a commonly used example ) 

 

..dB

post #19 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post

thus far it seems that any headphone will work. It is quiet and does not have too much gain for the sensitive headphones but at the same time has enough voltage swing for the higher impedance, less efficient headphones with oodles of reserve power should either need it. So it really is a matter of choosing a headphone and enjoying the ride. 

 

The source choice is always relative and subjective. This amp will let you see whatever you put in the front of it, so it has to be something that you like the sound signature of or else you might be disappointed. I personally really enjoyed the NAD M51 over the other dacs I have heard it with but I have not heard it with some of the heavy hitters such as the resonance dac which seems to have found favour amongst several members.  ( it clearly showed the odac as an inferior source to give you a commonly used example ) 

 

..dB

So any headphone will work? Does that mean I can use the Fostex TH-900 on it or do I need to mod the cables to use the Liquid Gold amp?

post #20 of 406

Any non-electrostatic headphone will work.  So all the main dynamic and planar headphones including the HD800, TH900, LCD-2/3, HE-6, etc.  The only exceptions are electrostatic headphones such as the Stax 007 and 009.  Those would require an electrostatic amplifier.

post #21 of 406

Indeed , this is a dynamic headphone amplifier, so dynamic headphones only and this includes planar magnetics. 

 

The outputs will accommodate most headphone plugs - TRS , dual 3 pin xlr balanced or single 4 pin xlr balanced. If you use a TRS jack, the amp will be running single ended, to take advantage of the balanced operation, the headphone will need to be cabled to balanced format. ( xlr ; either 2 x 3-pin xlr or 4-pin xlr ) No dual TRS cables. 

post #22 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Any non-electrostatic headphone will work.  So all the main dynamic and planar headphones including the HD800, TH900, LCD-2/3, HE-6, etc.  The only exceptions are electrostatic headphones such as the Stax 007 and 009.  Those would require an electrostatic amplifier.

Oh that is quite nice to use a selection of headphones. So do I need an adapter or mod for certain headphones like the HD800 and TH-900 since I don't see a 6.35mm input on there? I see RCA and 2 XLR inputs on the front.

post #23 of 406

No adapter or mod necessary - those two outputs on the left of the front panel are not RCA's - they are your standard 1/4" (or 6.35mm) TRS jacks.  This amp looks to include every standard headphone connection available for standard (non-electrostatic) headphones.

post #24 of 406
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

Any more DACs that would work well with the LAu and electrostatic headphones like the STAX SR-009?

Briscati, MSB

post #25 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

No adapter or mod necessary - those two outputs on the left of the front panel are not RCA's - they are your standard 1/4" (or 6.35mm) TRS jacks.  This amp looks to include every standard headphone connection available for standard (non-electrostatic) headphones.

Ah, so I can use 2 headphones on there. Liquid Gold really does have almost everything catered to most headphones (except electrostatic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Briscati, MSB

Never heard of those DACs. I definitely need to do some research on them since I do have a local audio dealer, but only has some of the DACs. It would be nice to demo these in a meet or some place.

post #26 of 406

I was looking forward to purchasing this amp.  But at $6K plusblink.gif

post #27 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I was looking forward to purchasing this amp.  But at $6K plusblink.gif

what is the problem? you use a credit card and you don´t think more( for a month)biggrin.gif

post #28 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I was looking forward to purchasing this amp.  But at $6K plusblink.gif

Yeah $6k is hard to justify for a SS amp, but this is Cavalli after all. Oddly enough, the LF Mk I is for sale on Head-Fi. Then again, I wish I could try out any unit at a meet or audio store just to get a feel for them.

post #29 of 406

The LG is the 'Cavalli magic' amp to beat right now, IMO. Better than the LF, and not a niche (well, as much of a niche) as the LL.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post

Yeah $6k is hard to justify for a SS amp, but this is Cavalli after all. Oddly enough, the LF Mk I is for sale on Head-Fi. Then again, I wish I could try out any unit at a meet or audio store just to get a feel for them.

post #30 of 406

My only question is with that beast price tag. IS it even better than the GS-X....

 

It just almost seems Alex doesn't know how to get rid of part count, so up goes the cost

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold