Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Liquid Gold - Page 10  

post #136 of 406
Thread Starter 

 

post #137 of 406

That silver W4S looks goofy.


Edited by MorbidToaster - 5/3/13 at 11:44am
post #138 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

all right that the LAu is the best solid state in the market, honestly i don´t have problems with this.

but in this thread i read more than once that the beta is nothing special and sincerely i disagree

Don't worry Aldo.  Just because a few folks in this thread and other places don't care to much about the B22 "they heard", does not mean it's not a world class amp.  I know you put a lot of work into yours and I'm sure it sounds amazing.  The B22 has stood the test of time.  However, lots of folks never really liked it in the first place, just like lots of folks may not like the LAu.  That won't be the first time folks disagree on amps.

 

I'm very sure the LAu sounds really good. But the cost may be out of reach for most of us to verify for our self in living situations.  That only leaves hearing it for a few minutes in meet situations which is not ideal.  So I wouldn't say the LAu is the best SS amp on the market just because a few people like it in it's very early life.  At this point in time there's way more B22s out in the wild than LAus so time will tell, if the cost does not hold it back.  Who knows a few used ones might pop up for sale in due time, that might be the only way lots of us will get to hear it at home.

 

Rest assured my friend. You have a world class amp on your hands that you put a lot of work into and should not be ashamed of it by no means.  

post #139 of 406
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

That silver W4S looks goofy.

No kidding.  I would get a black case in a heartbeat.  Not that the W4S would win a beauty contest.  Again.  A Briscati would look killer with this.

post #140 of 406

Obviously when I say the LAu is the best solid state amp I've heard, I mean exactly that: it's the best solid state amp I've heard. I'm in no way trying to imply it's the best choice for everyone. In fact I've said numerous times that it's pretty clearly not for everyone.

 

I actually like the B22 quite a bit with the HE-6 and other orthos (and to an extent the K1000). My "nothing special" comment was specifically regarding its synergy with the HD800; I've just never heard a B22 build I liked that much with the HD800, though I know others like the combo, and that's fine. I suspect I'd find the Dynalo to be more to my tastes w/ it. Either way, I think the B22 is a flexible choice and makes sense for a lot of folks, and it certainly deserves the respect it gets.


Edited by MuppetFace - 5/3/13 at 12:11pm
post #141 of 406

It would be logical for those who have heard both the LAu and the B22 to opine on which is better while those who have only heard one of the two to not try to clarify other's thoughts on something they have not heard themselves or to try to re-frame it's public perception in a light that is more favorable to what they themselves own.  Of course, when they get a chance to hear the LAu they can give their own thoughts on the matter.

 

I owned a 4 board dual sigma YBM B22, and personally would prefer more than just the LAu to it, especially with HP1's and HD800's.  They have some of the best control for orthos and K1K's of any SS amp though.

post #142 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

That silver W4S looks goofy.

No kidding.  I would get a black case in a heartbeat.  Not that the W4S would win a beauty contest.  Again.  A Briscati would look killer with this.

The full DAC-2 renewal is close at hand..Maybe they can swap the color of you spring for the upgrades...

post #143 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

It would be logical for those who have heard both the LAu and the B22 to opine on which is better while those who have only heard one of the two to not try to clarify other's thoughts on something they have not heard themselves or to try to re-frame it's public perception in a light that is more favorable to what they themselves own.  Of course, when they get a chance to hear the LAu they can give their own thoughts on the matter.

 

I owned a 4 board dual sigma YBM B22, and personally would prefer more than just the LAu to it, especially with HP1's and HD800's.  They have some of the best control for orthos and K1K's of any SS amp though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Obviously when I say the LAu is the best solid state amp I've heard, I mean exactly that: it's the best solid state amp I've heard. I'm in no way trying to imply it's the best choice for everyone. In fact I've said numerous times that it's pretty clearly not for everyone.

 

I actually like the B22 quite a bit with the HE-6 and other orthos (and to an extent the K1000). My "nothing special" comment was specifically regarding its synergy with the HD800; I've just never heard a B22 build I liked that much with the HD800, though I know others like the combo, and that's fine. I suspect I'd find the Dynalo to be more to my tastes w/ it. Either way, I think the B22 is a flexible choice and makes sense for a lot of folks, and it certainly deserves the respect it gets.

of course that a serious judgment is with the two amplifiers in the same rig(but with a beta built very well and not with cheap components)

i had the beta-22 with hd-800 and i agree that is not a wonderful combo, good yes but nothing special.

the same way with hp-1000.

but today i listened a very good compromise between sr-009 and dynamic headphones

this is the LAu thread and sorry for this O.T.biggrin.gif


Edited by alota - 5/3/13 at 1:24pm
post #144 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Don't worry Aldo.  Just because a few folks in this thread and other places don't care to much about the B22 "they heard", does not mean it's not a world class amp.  I know you put a lot of work into yours and I'm sure it sounds amazing.  The B22 has stood the test of time.  However, lots of folks never really liked it in the first place, just like lots of folks may not like the LAu.  That won't be the first time folks disagree on amps.

 

I'm very sure the LAu sounds really good. But the cost may be out of reach for most of us to verify for our self in living situations.  That only leaves hearing it for a few minutes in meet situations which is not ideal.  So I wouldn't say the LAu is the best SS amp on the market just because a few people like it in it's very early life.  At this point in time there's way more B22s out in the wild than LAus so time will tell, if the cost does not hold it back.  Who knows a few used ones might pop up for sale in due time, that might be the only way lots of us will get to hear it at home.

 

Rest assured my friend. You have a world class amp on your hands that you put a lot of work into and should not be ashamed of it by no means.  

thank you Darryl. i dont have problems because i know what i have in my house.

only i think we can speak well of one thing without diminishing the others

post #145 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post

all right that the LAu is the best solid state in the market, honestly i don´t have problems with this.
but in this thread i read more than once that the beta is nothing special and sincerely i disagree
Count me in the 'doesn't care for the B22' camp. It sounds good, but not great with anything. I much prefer the Bryston BHA-1 over any B22 build I've heard, and most of the B22 builds out there cost more than I paid for my BHA-1 when similarly equipped (balanced). Not to mention it is far smaller than a B22 in separate huge chassis. Headphones like the HD800 that are resolution monsters expose that weakness in the B22. It just isn't that resolving.

Also, someone mentioned a used LAu may be the only way for some to own one. If I've learned anything about Cavalli amps, it's that they depreciate quite a lot. wink.gif
Edited by Maxvla - 5/3/13 at 2:48pm
post #146 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Also, someone mentioned a used LAu may be the only way for some to own one. If I've learned anything about Cavalli amps, it's that they depreciate quite a lot. wink.gif

They depreciate for the same reason other amps do - glut available for sales with not as many buyers interested, and (in the case of LF, LL) new models on the horizon.  I don't think Cavalli amps particularly depreciate more than anything else out there.  With the LF, there was also the disparity with the early orders paying $2750 and the same unit being sold a third, fourth time each time being priced (thankfully) for lower than it was bought.

 

If you want to see a good example of depreciation, I'd check out RWA.  

post #147 of 406

When I owned the BHA-1 and the B22 at the same time (for 6 months).  I sold the BHA-1 because it only would sound good with LCDs to my ears.  While my B22 build sound good with a much larger verity of headphones.  Not the mention the SE output on the BHA-1 totally sucks IMO.  At the time my T1's was only SE so I didn't get a chance to listen to it on the B22 until they got re cabled.  I almost sold the T1s because they would sound so bad on the BHA-1.  The B22 / T1 combo just killed the BHA-1 / T1 combo in all areas. It was a no brainier for me to sell the BHA-1 with no hesitation.  

 

The BHA-1 just sound to harsh / bright with the HD800s to my ears while my B22 tamed the treble to where it was at least listenable for long periods of time.  The BHA-1 with the HE-6 is a joke.  The volume knob would be maxed out while making the HE-6 sound thin and shrill.  While my B22 build took the HE-6 by the balls and controlled them pretty well although not ideal.

 

I really had my mind set on the LAu but for that amount of money I'm now looking towards the LL mkII..  

post #148 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post
I owned a 4 board dual sigma YBM B22, and personally would prefer more than just the LAu to it, especially with HP1's and HD800's.

 

I've read that part several times now but still don't know what you're saying. Specifically the "would prefer more than just the LAu to it". Are you trying to say that you prefer the B22 over the LAu when used with the HP1 and HD800?

 

On another note, every time I see the name of this amp, I can't help but think of Velveeta's "Liquid Gold! Eat like that guy you know!" TV commercial. tongue.gif

post #149 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

I've read that part several times now but still don't know what you're saying. Specifically the "would prefer more than just the LAu to it". Are you trying to say that you prefer the B22 over the LAu when used with the HP1 and HD800?

 

 

It means he'd prefer more amps than just the LAu to the B22. Put another way, on a hypothetical list of amps the B22 would be below several amps, not just the LAu, on his list of preferences.

post #150 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

 

I've read that part several times now but still don't know what you're saying. Specifically the "would prefer more than just the LAu to it". Are you trying to say that you prefer the B22 over the LAu when used with the HP1 and HD800?

 

On another note, every time I see the name of this amp, I can't help but think of Velveeta's "Liquid Gold! Eat like that guy you know!" TV commercial. tongue.gif


Confusing pronoun it seems; my guess is what he refers to is that he prefers not only the LAu but also other amps in addition when compared to the b22.

 

JINXED!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold