I'm just starting into the whole earphone experience. I have Hifiman HE-400 and Sennheiser hd558. I'm driving them from a modi/magni combo, but I'd like to try the "tube" sound. I can see a number of interesting tube hybrid amps out there, but I'm having difficulty picking one that would sound good, allow for a bit of experiment with tube rolling, and be reasonably inexpensive. The amps I looked at so far are
- Bravo v2 (doesn't look good enough)
- Little Dot I+
- Hifiman ef2a (I do not really want to pay for the dac)
- Hifiman ef5 (that's a bit more than I want to spend, but I might swing it if it's much better than Little Dot)
- Schiit Lyr (is probably too expensive for me)
I also looked at some DIY kits (Millet Max-MOSFET and some Cavali kits) and while I know how to hold a soldering iron, I'm more interested in the outcome than in the amp building process.
I'm hoping that folks with some experience of pairing he400 with a tube amp can chime in and tell me...
1. whether I missed a good amp in my price range that I should consider
2. any hints and suggestions on what amp to pick.