Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread - Page 50

post #736 of 3455
Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzS View Post
 

(...)

mids an highs seems me very similar to the Q701.
 

 

Thanks a lot for this. I'll take it as a final proof for me that buying Q701 was a right choice in my case (since I don't really need lows with +3 dB, amount of bass is just perfect for me as it is).

post #737 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKillaruna View Post

 

Thanks a lot for this. I'll take it as a final proof for me that buying Q701 was a right choice in my case (since I don't really need lows with +3 dB, amount of bass is just perfect for me as it is).

 

Some classic music like this, e.g. Mahler symphonies; Holst - The Planets (I hear now), etc.

 

The K712 is not an bassheavy headphone (like D7000), this correction is small.

 

With my knowledge and I could only buy one headphone from this - K701, Q701, K712 - I would get the K712.

I think the street price would coming down in after a while.

 

The target group of the K712 Pro is the pro-market, probably some consumer will buy them too.

 

The K712 is an evolution of the K/Q7xx Series. If AKG made a brand-new top line headphone (with new developed drivers) I think they don't call them K/Q7xx. wink_face.gif


Edited by FritzS - 6/24/13 at 5:08am
post #738 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS View Post

 

With my knowledge and I could only buy one headphone from this K701, Q701, K712 - I would get the K712.

 

 

Only if we ignore price differences. But in reality, one K712 would cost me like 1,5 Q701's (maybe two with a bit of luck). And since I'm not concerned about bass impact so much and actually found angled pads very comfortable to my big ears, my pick wouldn't be so obvious.

 

 

Quote:
I think the street price would coming down in after a while.

 

Hope so.

 

 

Quote:
The K712 is an evolution of the K/Q7xx Series. 

 

Only the memory foam pads are IMO.


Edited by EvilKillaruna - 6/24/13 at 6:26am
post #739 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwerk View Post

omg!!!!!!!

 

i can't believe i hesitated and thought nobody would bid this. with 7 people bidding i should have been more careful. some bastard took it from my last minute bid of 173 $ easily from me since I was such a coward to raise it 10$ or something so I can have room for breathe, 

 

the most irritating thing is, he took it from me at a 2$ difference.

 

what, the , heck.

 

the only reason I hesitated, was because this particular one is pretty beat up. akg gold label almost all gone, headband looks like a nanny's forehead. dusty as well. seller says at least 4-5 years of usage.

 

oh well, i have 7 akg cans, enough is enough. maybe next time when there is no douchebags bumping prices up from 30 bucks to 175.

 

Here is another one:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K501-headphones-Discontinued-rare-excellent-condition-/130935132209?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e7c579031

post #740 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 

Honestly I think that price is pretty high considering the condition of the unit. I would say maybe $150 for a unit in very good condition overall. The K501 died off some time ago simply because it wasn't popular. When that one person posted a glowing review, interested suddenly took off. It provides a "different" sound from K601 and K701, but not necessarily a better sound. 

 

 

 

I don't really understand where you are getting this information from. AKG was the only AKG flagship model between 1996 and 2006 when k701 came. Of course it was popular. It has always been popular. It is still regarded as one of the best headphones AKG ever produced. There is far, far less controversy regarding the sound of k501 than that of k701 or k601. That the sound is "different" from k701 but not necessarily "better" is true but on a subjective level that is true for any two headphones compared to each other. 

post #741 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKillaruna View Post

Only the memory foam pads are IMO.

 

At the K712, not only the pads! Other selected slightly different driver too. 

 

To the other discussion - at the time of the K501, AKG's flagship was the K1000

From basically the sound pattern of the K501 and the K1000 is similar, K1000 have a better resolution and fine-dynamic.

For me the K501 is the 'little brother' of the K1000. k701smile.gif

 

I know that I have a K501 and had a K1000 and could compare them.


Edited by FritzS - 6/24/13 at 6:45am
post #742 of 3455
That's exactly what they said about the Anniversary as well. They still sound identical to the K702/Q701. The pads are what alters the sound. Swap pads between the two, and you'll be surprised.
post #743 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS View Post

At the K712, not only the pads! Other selected slightly different driver too. 

To the other discussion - at the time of the K501, AKG's flagship was the K1000
From basically the sound pattern of the K501 and the K1000 is similar, K1000 have a better resolution and fine-dynamic.
For me the K501 is the 'little brother' of the K1000. k701smile.gif

I know that I have a K501 and had a K1000 and could compare them.

remember the K1k's selling for around 500-600 sometimes even lower. Then things sky rocketed.
post #744 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS View Post

 

At the K712, not only the pads! Other selected slightly different driver too. 

 

But this is not something giving you a "night vs day" real sound difference. The drivers can be made of cosmic rock sorted by Chuck Norris himself and still at the end only sound matters. I can fully agree with Mad Lust Envy:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

That's exactly what they said about the Anniversary as well. They still sound identical to the K702/Q701. The pads are what alters the sound. Swap pads between the two, and you'll be surprised.

 

10/10. End of story :).

post #745 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

 

I don't really understand where you are getting this information from. AKG was the only AKG flagship model between 1996 and 2006 when k701 came. Of course it was popular. It has always been popular. It is still regarded as one of the best headphones AKG ever produced. There is far, far less controversy regarding the sound of k501 than that of k701 or k601. That the sound is "different" from k701 but not necessarily "better" is true but on a subjective level that is true for any two headphones compared to each other. 

 

I'm getting my information from experience at the time. When recommending headphones, the K501 was far from the "go-to" in its hayday. Where is your information from? 

post #746 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKillaruna View Post

 

10/10. End of story :).

 

Wait for the other test - as far as I know HiFiGuy528 (who get an K712) have a K702-65 too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-appreciation-thread/465#post_9513282

 

The story is to end, if more guys could compare K712 with K702-65, previously there are only speculations. rolleyes.gif

post #747 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

I'm getting my information from experience at the time. When recommending headphones, the K501 was far from the "go-to" in its hayday. Where is your information from? 

Are you talking about the beginning of the 2000s? k501 has always been a headphone regarded and appreciated for the same qualities that we talk about today. It was appreciated before k70x era and it became even more appreciated during the k70x era because of the disappointment many people feltwhen k701 came. k501 is even today regarded as a better headphone than k70x by many people. I like k701 but I like k501 better. Many people feel so and that only is a good indicator of how good that headphone actually is. k501 is a more honest headphone with "truer" sound. But hey, this is k712 thread. 

post #748 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

Are you talking about the beginning of the 2000s? k501 has always been a headphone regarded and appreciated for the same qualities that we talk about today. It was appreciated before k70x era and it became even more appreciated during the k70x era because of the disappointment many people feltwhen k701 came. k501 is even today regarded as a better headphone than k70x by many people. I like k701 but I like k501 better. Many people feel so and that only is a good indicator of how good that headphone actually is. k501 is a more honest headphone with "truer" sound. But hey, this is k712 thread. 

 

 

Oh come on....lets not go over the top here. Even though someone might prefer the K501 sound signature, saying its a better headphones is ridiculous...they're not even in the same league. It's like comparing a Sennheiser HD595 to a HD650...

post #749 of 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS View Post

Wait for the other test - as far as I know HiFiGuy528 (who get an K712) have a K702-65 too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-appreciation-thread/465#post_9513282

The story is to end, if more guys could compare K712 with K702-65, previously there are only speculations. rolleyes.gif

It's a well educated guess, considering the facts we do know. The 3db bass boost as confirmed by AKG is clearly present in the K702/65. The pads are the exact reason why the K702 Anniversary changed from the standard K702 and Q701, as when you swap the pads between them, they sound like the other (I personally confirmed this). The K712 Pro uses the same exact pads as the K702/65, as well as the same exact headband. It's a different color scheme.

Hand picked drivers is what they said about the K702 Anniversary, and now they say it with the K712. All signs are pointing to them being the exact same headphone. It's not some mere speculation. It's pretty obvious, and all we need now is the final confirmation.

AKG didn't even deny that they're the same. They gave a typical BS response to get people to buy the new product.
post #750 of 3455

Quite frankly, I think the K701's drivers were already matched well enough. Take a look at Tyll's, purrin's and GoldenEars' measurements. Differences between sides were already at a level where they will be masked by minute changes in headphone placement.


Edited by Wildstar - 6/24/13 at 11:20am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread